1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sasanian Iran

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Unreleased Mods' started by Sailor Cat, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

WIZARD NEEDS ART BADLY. POST IS OLD AND SO ARE ALL THE UNIQUES EXCEPT SAVARAN. WON'T BOTHER UPDATING UNTIL I CAN GET SOME LEADER ART.

Greetings! I aim to make Sasanian Iran a civ of its own, and am starting with Shapur II. The reason for breaking away from Firaxis' Persia is that it is based on the Achaemenid empire, and I don't think it translates well to the late antique Sasanid empire.

This mod is mostly finished. I just need to get the art from some talented artists. However, I welcome feedback in terms of balance!

SASANIAN IRAN — SHAPUR II

LEADER TRAIT
    • Who Pierces Shoulders: Capturing a city grants +2% Production toward military units. Building a district grants a missionary if you have founded a religion.
    LEADER UNIQUE UNIT
    • Kidarite Horse Archer: Unit unique to Shapur II. Ranged unit with exceptionally low combat strength, but can move after attacking. (3 Melee Strength, 25 Ranged Strength)
    CIVILIZATION TRAIT
    • Hunting Parks: Camps generate +2 Gold and +2 Culture, and grant adjacent Districts +1 Gold and +1 Culture. Units that begin their turn on a Camp gain +4 Movement for that turn.
    CIV UNIQUE UNIT
    • Savaran: Sasanian unique mounted unit that replaces the Knight.
    CIV UNIQUE UNIT ABILITY
    • Storm-Livened: A Savaran will push back enemies if it does more damage than it takes when attacking. Defenders that cannot be pushed back take additional damage.
    CIV UNIQUE DISTRICT
    • Frahangestan: A unique Sasanian district that replaces the Theatre Square. Gains +2 Tourism when adjacent to a Camp with the Natural History civic. Frahangestan buildings grant a 25% XP bonus to cavalry units trained in the city.
    FAVORED STARTS
    • Resources: Deer, Truffles, Ivory, Furs — Tier 1
    • Terrain: Desert Hills, Desert, Coast, Grasslands, Plains — Tier 2
    LEADER AGENDA
    • Canon and Conquest: Shapur II respects warmongers, and hates those who attempt to convert his cities.
    GREAT PEOPLE ADDED WITH CIV
    • Bahram Chobin (Great General)
      • Retire ability: Eliminate occupation penalties for owner.
    • Wuzurgmihr (Great Scientist)
      • Grants one Backgammon, a luxury resource that provides +4 Amenities.
    CORE CIV STRATEGY
    • Culture and Domination
    • The goal is to encourage city placement that favors camps, and to further encourage camps as a central feature in those cities. If used properly, camps will benefit the player with steady culture and gold, while buffing the Frahangestan.
    • What's more, the Royal Hunt movement ability tied to camps will, while brief, better equip Sasanian Iran for getting new units to the front line or units to nearby cities. A player with a bit of luck and planning can string cities along camps to better take advantage of these one-turn bursts of speed.
    • While providing no direct culture victory advantages besides the tourism bonus from camps, the Frahangestan buffs the cavalry units that will form the core of your military.

COMMENTS
    • Who Pierces Shoulders: The aim with Shapur II is to focus on both his military prestige, and the codification of Zoroastrianism during his reign (as a response to the Christianization of Rome).
    • Kidarite Horse Archer: It was recommended that I add a unique unit for the leader, so I chose the Kidarite Horse Archer. Horse archers formed the waves between Savaran during certain assaults. The Savaran would bunch up the defenders, making them easy targets for the following line of horse archers, which would then make them vulnerable to the wave of Savaran that came after. Shapur II was known to ally with the Kidarite leader Grumbates.
    • Hunting Parks: Hunting parks were crucial to the culture, faith, and military of Sasanian Iran. The empire had a real appreciation for court, religion, king, and nature—often finding unity in depictions of the Royal Hunt. I've tried to balance this around both camps being scarce and players having no choice over where camps spawn.
    • Savaran: These heavily-armored horsemen were a force to be reckoned with, and the powerhouse around which the Sasanian military formed its waves tactics. The thought process behind its unique ability follows those tactics. I realize stirrups were only introduced late into the Sasanian era, and they qualify more as Classical than Medieval units, but I'm working within the constraints of the system.
    • Frahangestan: Schools that imparted the many cultural and intellectual tenets of a well-rounded member of the nobility: memorizing the sacred utterances, scribemanship, calligraphy, horsemanship, jousting, polo, playing musical instruments, singing, poetry, dancing, astronomical knowledge, mastering board games.
    Thanks for any feedback. Looking forward to getting this out there! More to come as I get it taken care of (Agendas and such).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. 679x

679x Chieftain

I like civilizations that get you to focus on terrain and features more, I just find that fun. So this one looks like it'd be enjoyable for me.

However, IMO the bonus to producing Encampments and their buildings is pretty generic, and changing it might make the civ more unique... there are many options for military-related bonuses, maybe keeping with the encampment theme, but I just feel like it could be spiced up a little because bonus production toward certain districts just seems so bland... and if you have a unique improvement that provides production already, I'd rather have the ability spent on something else, like something that might make your military more powerful to pair with your reduced warmonger penalties.

Just my input, and I can't comment on balancing because I'm not good enough at Civ to really give good advice on balance.

Good luck with your modding!

Sailor Cat likes this.
  3. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Hey, thanks for the feedback, bud. Glad someone feels similarly about terrain and features. Love working around them. As far as Encampments are concerned, I get what you're saying—it is fairly humdrum, and I too prefer the more inventive traits (like what Sukitract did with Khosrow I). I'll see if I can come up with something more interesting. Thanks again!

4. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

All right, this is what I meant to do with the unit in the first place, so now that I have it working, I'm going to make it part of the leader ability, and add either an Encampment bonus when adjacent to a Camp (like extra experience for units in that Encampment), or a general bonus while at war. Tentatively, Savaran units under Shapur II (not the civilization), have the knockback ability of the Winged Hussar.
    • Pushes back enemies if it does more damage than it takes when attacking. Defenders that cannot be pushed back take additional damage.

5. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Updated the civilization trait to include the Royal Hunt ability. Removed the faith and culture it provided to adjacent districts:
    • Royal Hunt: When an Encampment is adjacent, units that visit Camps gain the Royal Hunt ability, which grants +5 Combat Strength.
    I'd really like to make this applicable to allies, and maybe even declared friends, but that's something I'll need to figure out.

6. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Struck out the Storm-Livened ability as it was, and moved down Shapur II's unique unit ability to the Savaran (keeping the Storm-Livened title)—felt it was too much at once. May adjacency bonuses for the Encampment. May add a small one-time bonus for building Encampments. Will let this stew for a bit.

Overall, I'm very happy with where Qanats and Hunting Parks are at the moment.

679x likes this.
  7. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Updates:

Leader Trait
    • Encampments receive +1 Faith from adjacent Districts. Building an Encampment grants a free Apostle if you have founded a religion.
    Civ Trait
    • Camps generate +2 Faith and +2 Culture. Districts adjacent to receive +1 Faith and +1 Culture. When an Encampment is adjacent, units that visit Camps gain the Royal Hunt ability, which grants +5 Combat Strength.
    -----------------------------------------

Leader Trait: Decided to follow the original plan of making Shapur II a militaristic/religious leader. Extremely tentative.

Civ Trait: Unfortunately, I don't think my adjacency bonuses were working. As far as I could tell in the Report menu anyway. I've never been great at reading those things, though. So I've reverted to +1 Faith and +1 Culture to adjacent districts.

-----------------------------------------

Still waiting on the art so I can work on icons and such.

Oh, did some testing with trying to make Royal Hunt available to allies, but no luck.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    679x likes this.
  8. RFormica

RFormica Grand Oligarch of the Hills

I can probably make art for you, but I warn you: configuring it is very hard. (As an example, my avatar is something that I made.)

(Although Shapur II, sadly, doesn't look much like anybody in-game; this may take a bit longer than a different leader...)

9. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

I appreciate the offer, bud, but I have someone working on it!

10. RFormica

OK, good :p I did not know how I was going to do him.

11. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Haha, yeah. And you're damn right about configuring. Even with guides I can't get things to work!

12. RFormica

Yeah, I know! The best thing to do is probably ask someone who, for some reason, figured it out.

13. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Nice and crisp. Had to do all the resizing in Photoshop with bilinear resampling, then save as .dds in Paint.net.

I've removed Furs and Deer from favored starts for now. Reason being, you end up by tundra so often, and I don't think that reflects the civ nor its uniques well. Unfortunately, that means starting with a potential camp nearby is less likely than before. If anyone has any thoughts on that end, feel free to share.

14. RFormica

Do the start bias, but have a strong bias towards basically all terrain that isn't tundra/snow.

15. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Hmm, good idea. Should I do:

• Tier 1: Camp Resources
    • Tier 2: Desert Hills
    • Tier 3: Everything else

Or keep all terrain on one tier?

16. RFormica

Keep all terrain besides tundra/snow at 1, that will almost guarantee that you won't spawn on tundra

17. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

Hmm. I want desert hills to be a higher priority than the others, so I'll bring that to Tier 1, then put all the other terrains (besides tundra/snow) on Tier 2. See how that goes before putting them all on the same line. Thanks for the advice. :V

18. RFormica

You're very welcome! If you need any help with code (or if you figure out how to do the art/icons!), tell me. I'd be glad to help

19. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

I have the custom civilization icons working. If you mean the leader art, other icons, or unique improvement model . . . that torture yet remains. If you have a suggestion RE: how I can get the Royal Hunt ability to apply to allies' units I'm all ears (the normal functions are your units or all units).

Only a few tests thus far, but seems to be working well:

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------          
    -- StartBiasResources          
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
    INSERT INTO StartBiasResources  
            (CivilizationType,                    ResourceType,                Tier)
    SELECT    'CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    ResourceType,                1
    FROM Resources WHERE ResourceType IN ('RESOURCE_TRUFFLES', 'RESOURCE_IVORY', 'RESOURCE_DEER', 'RESOURCE_FURS');

-- StartBiasTerrains
    INSERT INTO StartBiasTerrains
    (CivilizationType,            TerrainType,            Tier)
    VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    'TERRAIN_DESERT_HILLS',        1),
            ('CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    'TERRAIN_DESERT',            2),
            ('CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    'TERRAIN_COAST',            2),
            ('CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    'TERRAIN_GRASS',            2),
            ('CIVILIZATION_SASANIAN',    'TERRAIN_PLAINS',            2);

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. Sailor Cat

Sailor Cat Chieftain

https://vgy.me/JYM40e.png

Qanat: Made them uneven because they tend to be, but it just doesn't look right, so going to pull that bottom right one up.