1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Satellite

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by snafusmith, Feb 27, 2006.

1. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Attached Files:

2. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Prince

Interesting model. This would be perfect for that Song of the Moon Mod.

3. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

Yup, thanks for pointing it out. :D

I'll have to point it out to our graphical guys.

4. Half Fast

Half Fast fat slob in a bar

Hmm... maybe some sort of SDI thingy.Thanks for bringing it in.

5. Vadus

Vadus pretend the impossible

nice !! I can use it :)

6. nautil

nautil Warlord

Great ! More units wont harm.
    but could you specify please what it actually does ? thanx

7. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Right now it's just for recon. I'm sure you could use if for whatever you want. Also, there is some animation to it (the solar panels move in and out every once in a while).

-Smitty

8. Tommy1234567890

Tommy1234567890 Warlord

i didn't know cave men had satelites jk

but the unit is good. I also want to know what it does maybe spy? Since the real Civ 4 spy has the abillity to get into cityies but is that well at "recon" Maybe this one might be able to get recon but be an invisible unit because the planes aren't invisible but i think there is one.

MY 200th POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PARTY PARTY BEER BEER :goodjob: :goodjob:

:band: :band: :beer: :beer: :woohoo: :woohoo:

9. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

:worship: you are great

10. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

:bump: this old thread
    Hey snafu, can you animate this bad boy with a big ass bomb drop below it. I know you've been earing mad skills in your modeling, so i figure now is the time to ask!

11. Agent 009

Agent 009 Civ 4 Addict

LOL! :D I really like the idea of this satellite... Is there a way to make it look higher off the ground?

Also, if possible, as I haven't tried to add this unit yet, does it actually move over terrain? If so I think this would be a really good recon unit. A player could send it near a city he/she was wanting to attack before sending in their attack force. ;)

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

oh yeah this unit looks great and works good. it uses jet fight animation i believe and its in my mod. i just want it to have a little bomb explosion under it so it will better represent attack sats.

13. Agent 009

Agent 009 Civ 4 Addict

Yeah I got that part but can it be moved from one tile to another... Like could I send it to fly over an enemy city and stay there?

Also since it is a satellite, it would be a bit more realistic if it were higher off the ground. ;)

==100th Post==

14. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well, snafu, are you there? calling snafu smitty

15. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Under normal situations, I'd say sure, but here I just can't for a couple reasons:

1. This being the FIRST unit I ever posted, it was just something I found online and converted to a .NIF. That said, at the time I didn't know about poly count, separate textures, etc. I just checked, and this puppy has nearly 50K polys, so DON'T USE IT UNLESS YOU HAVE A SMASHINGLY GREAT SYSTEM.

2. There was a thread about this a while back with satellites dropping metal rods to destroy things (kenetic energy weapons) discussing their feasability. The concensus there was that it was possible. I still maintain that it's not. I've taken many classes in the area of spacecraft mechanics/machine dynamics/material strengths and properties (I'm an engineering student who graduates in 22 days from a top 20 program in the country), and droping stuff from a satellite like that is not possible. Because of that fact, I don't want to make something like it (I would have NO problem having it shoot a laser though...)

3. The most important reason... I have no time. Because I'm finishing my degree, time is something I don't have in excess. Any free time I do have is not really spent on civ4 stuff. When I do have the time to play with units, it'll be to finish up what I've started and some requests. I really can't afford to say I'll put something else on my plate, as you'll likely never see it.

Sorry guys, this might be something for someone else to tackle...

-Smitty

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

we still love you smitty, you the man!

17. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

:agree: its true smitty mate

18. Padmewan

Padmewan King

50K polys???? wow, where are they all? :D I suppose it was made to be about 40x larger than you see in the screenshot?

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in redoing this one we'd certainly be interested in using it. :D

19. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

YESH YESH YESH we must redo it!

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

to be serious, i use this model as it is with my second revolution for a couple months, it was one on the second batch of units. i usually never even see it, unless it is hovering over city and then its got cute solar panel animation. when it 'attacks' it swoops over like a jet, but nothing happens on the ground. I know nothing about 3d modeling other that im not smart enough for it, but i think it would be simple to turn it into a little box with panels (thats all it shows up as in civ due to detail.