Saturn Embassy & Intelligence

Kaleb

Deity
We haven't met these guys but I thought we should have a thread for them.

Especially as they keep blurting out things like this:

Don't worry it's nothing a massive stack of axemen and immortals won't be able to fix. ;)

Nah I'm kidding we haven't even met anyone yet. This map must be huge.

(By the way what was your beaker overflow? Just curious.)

Is he serious? If that's true then it's really nice of them to tell us!!

I think the mortality rate for these immortals are quite high, by the time they reach us...

Ha. I meant are they serious about no contact. The other bit is obviously a joke. If true it's very significant and a big oversight on the part of Sat and SAN not to send a wb

Let's say hello to them. Here's a propsoed note. Please feel free to edit and make revisions. Let's stay away from Boratese this time.

Hello from the Great Country of Kazakhstan!

We have sailed far to find you and we are happy we've arrived. We've heard rumors of your isolated country and we hope you are glad to finally meet some neighbors. You don't have to be lonely any one!

We would like to discuss friendship between our peoples and we would like to have the honor of sailing past your lands in order to continue our journey. [Note: Do we want to offer open borders or ask for phony war?]

We hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards,
donsig of Kazakhstan

Good note. I think what you meant to say was, "you don't have to be lonely anymore!"

I think we should offer open borders. If they don't go along with it then we DoW to transit, painting them as the bad guys for trying to stop us. We both have Writing so just charging past with a DoW without asking first would be overtly hostile. Perhaps we should offer them a choice: "We are going to continue our journey, how would you like us to transit your lands: through an open borders agreement or a phony war?" They don't have sailing so they can't stop us.

Also, how should we allocate our espionage points? We are currently 12 points (3 turns) ahead of SANCTA. We could shift all our points to Saturn and if we notice SANCTA catching back up we can switch back to them.

I think Donsig's note is fine (w/ Cavscout's edit). We should go with an offer of Open Borders... but will that enable them to see our resources?

Are we going to try to forge a 4-way alliance with Saturn?

It looks like we can be pretty confident that we will get Monotheism, since Saturn does not have Masonry yet... Unless Saturn (or SANCTA) is teching Masory right now. We will probably be able to get it though since we tech faster.

If we go straight for Monotheism without stopping to wait for city 5 we will almost definitely beat Saturn to it, however if we decide to hold Monotheism up for 1 turn to let a city settle first... does that pose any risk? Will we still want to wait for City 5 even if we spot Saturn or SANCTA with Masonry?

I would avoid using "We have sailed far to find you and we are happy we've arrived. We've heard rumors of your isolated country and we hope you are glad to finally meet some neighbors. You don't have to be lonely any one!" They don't need to know that we are not their neighbors to the north. Open with "We are happy to finally find someone to the south with our tiny boat."

The rest is great.

Jeff

I think Donsig's note is fine (w/ Cavscout's edit). ...

If we go straight for Monotheism without stopping to wait for city 5 we will almost definitely beat Saturn to it, however if we decide to hold Monotheism up for 1 turn to let a city settle first... does that pose any risk? Will we still want to wait for City 5 even if we spot Saturn or SANCTA with Masonry?

Yes, we must put in that edit - just as I started writing my son called for me to pick him up so I rushed it a bit. :blush:

If we get an open borders agreement we can continue to watch the trade screen to see if they get masonry and then decide whether we wait or not. But why do we want to wait for another city? I thought we wanted Pavlodar to be a double holy city?

I'm also for offering open borders instead of a phony war. Let's not rush this note any more though so others have a chance to give some input.

EDIT: Crosspost.

I would avoid using "We have sailed far to find you and we are happy we've arrived. We've heard rumors of your isolated country and we hope you are glad to finally meet some neighbors. You don't have to be lonely any one!" They don't need to know that we are not their neighbors to the north. Open with "We are happy to finally find someone to the south with our tiny boat."

I was trying to give an illusion that we are neighbors. One of the Saturn members made a remark in the UN that they haven't met anyone yet and so I wanted to play into that. I'm not at all sure what the map looks like since I've not logged into the game but it seems odd that they would have a neighbor to the north. :confused:

I don't think we should lie to them about our location. But perhaps we shouldn't give any hints of our location either. Maybe just: We are glad to have found you. And leave it at that.

According to the relations screen they have not met CAV or SANCTA. It is possible that they have met MS since we don't have them on our diplo screen yet.

This is excellent news.

Now that is interesting. I hadn't really considered adding them as a fourth member of our alliance since I (very wrongly) assumed they were already allied with SANCTA. Wow, we have a chance to really isolate SANCTA. We need a much better letter to Saturn since we can turn them away from SANCTA. We need to consult with Team Cav, too. And I have to work today so I won't be around for some hours. :(

Btw if we want to trade with Saturn we also need OB with SANCTA. I think this could be good, we'll get some good commerce from this, more than any other team.

I don't think we should lie to them about our location. But perhaps we shouldn't give any hints of our location either. Maybe just: We are glad to have found you. And leave it at that.

I agree with this, let's not say either way if we are close or not.

I'll PM Lord Parkin for an email address to send our message to.

We should try to build a strong bond with Saturn since we are the first team to meet them. This can serve as a hedge against CAV in case they ally with MS against us in the future.

Now, what techs do we have up on Saturn, and what possible trades can Saturn and Sancta do with each others, and how can we prevent that trade from happening, by making sure we trade Saturn all technologies Sancta can trade them?

Saturn doesn't have anything to trade us. They are hopelessly behind and probably won't catch up. I suppose we could get them to tech Archery and Horseback Riding for us.

Btw I have sent a pm to say hi to Lord Parkin and gave him our email address telling them to contact us that way or pm donsig

Top Bottom