1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Saturn Embassy & Intelligence

Discussion in 'Team Kazakhstan' started by Kaleb, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Good call. Open Borders with Saturn have been closed.

FYI we had 7 trade routes with Saturn totaling 14GPT. Once OB was cancelled the routes were replaced, pound for pound, with Cavalieros trade routes. So our income remained the same... -43 GPT at 100% tech.

2. Sommerswerd

SAturn are most likely starting to build an army. Possibly to invade MS, possibly to help SANCTA invade us, possibly to help SANCTA repel an invasion by Cavalieros and possibly to defend against an economic raid agaist them...

Either way, they just switched civics to Nationalism and Mercantilism.

3. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

Good assumption Sommers.

I find it odd that they switched to mercantilism though. Unless MS or Team Cav have open borders with Santca, this would mean that Sancta no longer has any foreign trade routes. Sancta has gotten a lot of $ from foreign trade routes especially with the Great Lighthouse.

4. Sommerswerd

SANCTA was already in Mercantilism though so I don't think they could have had any trade routes with anyone. We cancelled OB with Saturn so that would mean that they could only have trade routes with MS (or Cavalieros). Maybe they are trying to hurt MS economy?

This was HUSch's take on the development...
    Spoiler :

5. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

FYI: Closing border with MS won't have any affect on their economy as they have plenty of cities between us and Cav to trade with.

6. Sommerswerd

Latest from HUSch:
    Spoiler :
    Basically, Saturn drafted 3 Muskets last turn.

7. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Should we ask Husch about his willingness to attack Saturn to cut off the research dollars from SANCTA?

8. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

Question is - could MS really even attack? Neither of them have much of an army now - and with nationalism Saturn will be able to build one faster.

9. Sommerswerd

Remember HUSch already said this in a PM
    This was in response to slaze asking MS if they wanted to join us in the war against S&S. So I think we have our answer... :(

10. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

I thought this might have been a fun message to send Saturn.

Saturn,

As you may have heard, our mighty observatories have discovered new rings around your planet. Many congratulations!

We see that you have switched civics to a war footing. As we were once friends we wish to once again extend our greetings. Both your team and ours have become lackeys of the more powerful Sancta and Cavaleiros. Neither of us has much hope for victor without military expansion. We expect that your aim is to invade MS. We do not think you will be met with much luck.

We once again welcome you to join us in alliance against Sancta. Without your cash subsidies Sancta will quickly far further behind technologically, and will be ripe for the picking.

11. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

We should send it. Always good to keep them on their toes.

12. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

I've never been one to send messages - so I'll leave that to someone else. Also did we ever get any message back from MS about the AP idea? I assume not and that they are being their usual cryptic selves.

13. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

Did we ever send the above message to Saturn? If not we should still send something along similar lines.

14. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Sent the above note to Plako of Saturn.

15. plako

plako Emperor

I did take a short check on this thread and was quite surprised. You had lot of good intentions towards us. Unfortunately these intentions didn't materialize in the actual communication with us.

16. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Yeah we were quite dysfunctional in our diplomacy and that's my biggest regret in this game.

17. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Too bad you guys didn't honor your tech trading agreement with us. I will certainly be reluctant to trust any of you in future games.

18. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

So you'd prefer to honour a trade agreement with the enemy that'll provide a key military tech to your 3 enemies, than to try and gain good relations with the only other civ that isn't part of the enemy alliance?

19. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

The point is that once you make an agreement you better keep it otherwise you cannot be trusted again in the future.

20. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I would agree with the provision that it only applies during the one game. New game, new teams, new situation. When it's apparent that you're on the outer of a 3 man alliance, and your only hope for an ally desperately wants to keep a tech away from that alliance, desperate moves are made that normally wouldn't be considered. Especially when the only potential ally is actually working with you, and is constantly in contact with you.