1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Satyrs vs. Hunters (Hunters win)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Sureshot, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

satyrs dont quite seem worth building to me, except that they look cool. i'll compare them to hunters (red for differences):

Hunters
    60 production
    requires Exploration, Hunting (425science)
    Recon unit
    4 strength
    2 moves
    can upgrade to Rangers
    can upgrade to Assassins
    -20% city attack
    +50% vs animals
    better results from tribal villages
    can build camps
    can carry birds
    scouts upgrade to them

Satyr
    60+30=90 production
    requires Exploration, Hunting, Ancient Chants, Mysticism, Way of Leaves (425+825=1250science)
    Recon unit
    4 strength
    2 moves
    can upgrade to Rangers
    free woodsman promotion
    no unit which upgrades to them
    requires Leaves religion

so, you pay 50% production for woodsman promotion, and you give up:
    1. -20% city attack
    2. +50% vs animals
    3. better results from tribal villages
    4. can build camps
    5. can carry birds
    6. one of the upgrade paths (Assassin)
    7. cant upgrade scouts to them

im not seeing the point, given the amount more production (50% more) and science (200% more), and the fact that you're trading away more than you gain to make a satyr than a hunter (woodsman for 1 through 7)

So, I'm thinking they need a lot more benefits, anyone got any ideas? or know some other way in which satyrs are good except for looking cool?

2. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I want them to charm animals with their pan flutes. :)

3. Kael

Kael Chieftain

They are scehduled to get a mezmerize ability which lets them capture animals without combat and a "super ranger" upgraded form that requires a minimum level.

4. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

that could be good, though they might still need a boost to be worthwhile in the general case (sometimes no animals around). they just seem less than a hunter for way more of a cost in both research and production.

5. Kael

Kael Chieftain

The big thing, as in all religion units, is that they dont require a hunting lodge.

6. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Maybe they can mesmerize low level enemies as well, or low intelligence ones.

7. daladinn

daladinn Chieftain

i see what your saying , but i would still rather have a satyr over a hunter on most days. they don't suffer a penalty when attacking cities and are carrying a free promotion that will be applied to them as they advance.

here is the way i see it...
    -- early game you have a choice of hunter or satyr. odds are your going to have several hunters before you can even build a satyr. satyr do a much better job at attacking cites and the free promo makes them also better against other civs (hunters are still better vs animals).

-- mid to late game your odds of building a hunter to make an assassin are low because they share the same type (recon) and you would more then likely just build the assassin instead. however if your goal is rangers you now have 2 options...
    ---- satyr which are going to give you a free promo of woodsman 1 for your troubles (the only thing carrying through).
    ---- disciple of leaves which if you have been building the alter will give you more bonus xp as well as allowing some outside promotions since its a disciple unit.

my thoughts .....
    satyr's should have their cost lowered to 60 to match hunters but otherwise remain unchanged.

8. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

hadnt thought about the free woodsman for a ranger upgrade, i think thats the only think id use them for atm heh

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

ya, and even having charm for now could help

10. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

I see no reason why they can't carry birds, though. :)

11. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

why not give satyrs a random nature spell promotion?

one satyr would have bloom, another would have vies, another mesmerize, another, maybe enrage or fear (Pan is the origin of the word panic: it was said music played by him and his satyrs could drive people insane through fear)

12. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

Saytrs don't have the city attack penalty. This alloes them to take ememy towns in mass easier then hunters. In my last game as Ljosalfar I rushed Svaltalfar with Saytars and Warriors, and then the Clan. They are quite effective. I put in a few hunters but they all died.

13. Mithrus

Mithrus Chieftain

I agree. Give them Charm Person for now would be a nice tactical change until you can get the mesmerize code working. I'd probably keep in even then, maybe even throw in a hero "Pan" unit :)

14. feydras

feydras Chieftain

Themetically i'd rather see Satyrs drop the charm animal in favor of a limited charm person effect on low level or low intel units. Feels more like a satyr to me and i never see animals past early game probably due to my settings.

- feydras

15. JDexter

JDexter Chieftain

Actually Satyrs in lore play music for animals and faries, so charm animal makes a lot of sense.
    Either would be cool as I also love that unit - so much style! :)

16. Copper Golem

Copper Golem Goblin

And also they could increase birthrate in the cites. :lol:

17. Lucius Sulla

Lucius Sulla Gens Cornelia

Why, do you mean as in... *every* doviello unit? :lol:

18. MrUnderhill

MrUnderhill Civ-loving Hobbit

I think the Charm Animal spell should replace Poisoned Blade for Nature 2 Sorcery. Poisoned Blade sounds more like a Shadow spell and this way Druids / Priests of Leaves could get access to Charm, as well.

19. jenks

jenks Chieftain

im playing patch f on 0.25, didnt like the satyrs being such bad value so edited the xml to give them free subdue animal promotion.
    still havent built one as i havent played a game as leaves since then, but think id be more likely to next time i go elves

20. DeaExMachina

DeaExMachina Chieftain

I typically play with aggressive barbs on and I've got to save as Ljosalfar I've never built a Saytar. However in my last game as them on Emperor I completely wiped out my neighboring Clan of Embers with 1 warrior and 1 hunter. XD

En mass I loved my hunters and the penalty for cities is a small cost if you, like me, enjoy surrounding barb cities and never killing them to feed units constant xp for huge promotions.