Save Errors in PBEM

Phoenix_Fire91

Chieftain
Hi, I just joined a PBEM as a replacement (the PBEM is PBEM Nu), but when I go to save after playing, I always get a save error saying the game failed to save. I can't get around it, it always fails and for the time being I can't participate in the PBEM because I can't save my game.

It might help to know I'm running Civ III on a MacBook Pro, with the latest version of OS X, and the latest model of MacBook Pro. The game runs fine, it's just this save glitch. If anyone wants more data specs or anything else, please say so, I need to have this sorted out ASAP.

Thanks!

My guess: You are playing against Windows-based opponents. When you receive the file from your opponent it contains some additional data that your Mac version of Civ3 can't handle. Unfortunately, you often don't discover this until you try to save the game again after you've played your turn.

There are two possible fixes:

1) Aspyr tried to fix this in the Rev A patch they released for Civ3 Complete. I believe they reduced it, but didn't eliminate it. It's worth updating your copy of Civ3 Complete if you haven't done so already, if only because the patch provides an Intel-native Universal binary.

2) I have produced a utility called FileValet (link in my sig) that you can use to pre-process the files you receive from Windows players. Open it, drop an incoming file on the window, and it will clean it up for you. You should then be able to play it and save it in either version of Civ3 Complete.

Hope this helps.

I tried to install the patch but it got hung up at one point and ended up corrupting my installed CivIII Complete. I reinstalled and downloaded your application though and the problem was resolved, thanks a ton! One use of FileValet got it working and now the PBEM is finally underway, kudos to your hard work with that program it's much appreciated!

You my find that you can get the Aspyr updater to work if you copy it from the disk image onto your desktop, then run it from the desktop.

Glad to hear that FileValet still does the job! I haven't touched that code for a couple of years now.

i also have to thank you. you are my personal hero. without your program, i wouldn't be able to play by email. thank you so much. :worship:

Top Bottom