Save game compatibility

Temae

Chieftain
Hi, I just returned to this mod after not playing it for several years. For nostalgic reasons, I'd like to continue playing my old savegame, but it doesn't seem to work with the most recent version. I can't remember which version the save was made with, but it works with an old v35 I had on my hard drive. Download from moddb is slow, so I thought I would ask: When did save compatibility break?

Thanks for continuing your work on this mod!

Hi, I just returned to this mod after not playing it for several years. For nostalgic reasons, I'd like to continue playing my old savegame, but it doesn't seem to work with the most recent version. I can't remember which version the save was made with, but it works with an old v35 I had on my hard drive. Download from moddb is slow, so I thought I would ask: When did save compatibility break?

From 35? A while ago. Seriously so much has been improved since then though.

Save compatibility was broken like 5 times at least.

Mod is much faster, pedia is VASTLY faster and better, game option list actually makes sense now, not being random mess, and there is COSMOS part of Caveman2Cosmos :D
Also smaller issues here and there were fixed too.
Latest one is V41.2

I'm sure the mod's gotten a lot better, but I can't just start over. Gotta take my cavemen to the cosmos first. I started the game back in 2014 and I'm only in the Medieval era so I'm looking forward to trying version 53 in 2035!

I'm sure the mod's gotten a lot better, but I can't just start over. Gotta take my cavemen to the cosmos first. I started the game back in 2014 and I'm only in the Medieval era so I'm looking forward to trying version 53 in 2035!
Um, unless you're playing an hour a week, that's way too SLOW even for Eternal Nightmare.
Unless you are stuck on a small island with no animals to hunt, of course.
OR it's so much "before" in the version, that it actually WAS that much worse, loool.
Really, I do suggest you to upgrade and restart, definitely so.
Wait, started in 2014???
Yeah, you're playing something that is not even NEARLY the current mod - and it's a waste of your time.
Absolutely.

In V35 cosmos doesn't exist.

Get latest version (V41.2).
Its like 2x - 3x faster.

If you play on Duel space map on Normal, then you will reach end of tech tree in month or two.

Guys, he clearly wants to continue his old game !

You should be able to figure out the exact version that broke your save by looking at the SVN patch notes. (IIRC your current detailed SVN version can be seen when hovering over the flag ?)

See the documentation for SVN here :
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/c2c-svn-changelog.429816/

Note that while you might be able to continue that game using the latest version still compatible with v35, there's no guarantee that these updates won't mess it up in other ways, starting with balance !

Guys, he clearly wants to continue his old game !
Yes, personal choice and all, but seriously - WHY?
It's like he's playing a totally different game, and a lesser one at that.
I'm baffled by the very fact that he's still in Medieval after YEARS of gameplay - that's WAY TOO SLOW for ANY game options I can think of.
Like, you can HUNT, ya know, which cumulates eventually quite nicely on any difficulty.
UNLESS even hinting wasn't yet viable BACK THEN - but then that IS my point, lol.
Whatever, but really weird.

As he said himself - for nostalgic reasons.

He also didn't say anything about how many hours he invested in that game.

I do have too a few save games (some more than a decade old !) that I'm still picking up and continuing from time to time, though those are generally for games that aren't being updated any more. (I generally don't do this for C2C, because I generally give up on C2C games when they end up as micromanagement hell or too slow performance-wise...)

P.S.: IIRC hunting is much older than v35 ?

Last edited:
My game started out as a sort of let's play / community game over on the paradox forums - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/forum-game-from-caveman-to-cosmos.789895/. We made up our own political system, religion etc.. Had to stop after a few months due to exams, but kept on playing myself on and off afterwards. Obviously not an hour a week, haven't touched the game since 2017.

Starting a new save would be like changing to a whole other game. I'm surprised how little understanding there is for wanting to continue a save rather than starting anew

EDIT: Also, played yesterday using v35. Doesn't even work with the oldest version on moddb (v38:old:)

Holy crap, there's a map and a dedicated IRC channel, and everything !

And *poems* !
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/forum-game-from-caveman-to-cosmos.789895/post-17909874

A bit of a lack of screenshots otherwise ?

----

Your game version should be around SVN version 7772, considering the date of that first post..?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/c2c-svn-changelog.429816/page-433#post-13331770
(Probably earlier, if you didn't use SVN, and didn't update at all ?)

TortoiseProc_JkqjUq9bVm.png

----

You might also be interested in a similar long-running game, which now has the same issue of save version incompatibility as you do !
My God, It's Full Of Techs: Let's Play Caveman2Cosmos (Civ IV overhaul mod)

A bit of a lack of screenshots

Yes, if I'd done it today, this would be one of the things I'd do differently.

The main other thing would be not involving the players too much in micro management.

You might also be interested in a similar long-running game, which now has the same issue of save version incompatibility as you do !
My God, It's Full Of Techs: Let's Play Caveman2Cosmos (Civ IV overhaul mod)

Oh yeah, I remember seeing this before! Should be an interesting read

Oh yeah, I remember seeing this before! Should be an interesting read
Its nice lets play, actually there are two letsplays:
First by guy, who described things in detail and was going bit slowly, and other was much faster and finished entire tech tree.

I'm surprised how little understanding there is for wanting to continue a save rather than starting anew
From my perspective, you're very likely to encounter crash or hang bugs we won't be able to do anything about is the only real issue. Otherwise, I'm sure it's possible to track back to the update that broke from where you are somehow. I don't THINK we were on Git yet and I don't know if that was recent enough to be on the current SVN server or if it was on the old one. If it was on the old one... probably not much anyone can do - I'm not sure that old one still exists.

Top Bottom