1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Save the World- Start folding today!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

:banana:FOLD ME BAD BOY:banana: <- Official Website

:banana:Look how well we are doing already!?!:banana: <- Team CFC!

You probably have heard the concept- using your spare computer processing power you can help solve many scientific problems! Why not start now and cure cancer! ;)

Also, you can create a "team" basically it just records all the work you have done together. Why dont we start a CFC team?

2. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

New team Civ Fanatics COLOSSEUM with number 47958 has been founded by Louis_Rogerson

Well done to those who have finished folding projects! Kudos to:

IglooDude
    VRWCAgent
    Speedo
    Jonathan
    Radioactive_Monkey
    King_Alexander
    Godwynn
    lost_civantares
    Louis_Rogerson
    ironduck
    msappir
    snuk
    Till
    betazed
    Illusion13
    Simon_Eriksson
    Chukchi_Husky
    Furiey
    Lostciv_antares
    Johan_Bage
    Elephant
    Sophie_378
    roy
    Goldfish
    Taliesin
    WildWeazel
    Nicholas_Stokes
    Abaddon
    azadi.1
    Radagaisus
    colony
    Mathilda
    Colone_here
    Simon_Seddon
    sysyphusCanada
    Truronian
    Newbie101
    Aphex_Twin

toh6wy
    Ummmmmmm

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Huh, a team. I've never looked into that. Thanks.

4. Sophie 378

Sophie 378 Avvie by ybbor

"Advertising is not allowed on this site. Closed." Please, no, this is for good causes! :cry: I'm signing up to that team... and if you meant off my links, I copied them from El_Machinae! :)

5. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Ah, yes, for some reason i found myself cliking through your signatures links- by the time i got round to posting this thread- all i rembered about getting there was wondering- what are the previous 8 charms?

Anyway- i didnt even think about the advertising thing- geez it would be mean to cut this off.

GO TEAM CFC!

6. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

7. Sophie 378

Cool, Hakim! What happens if you sign up for two at once? Will it try to overclock the computer, or will neither run, or what? I have a Mac, btw. Hmm, maybe merge threads?

8. El_Machinae

I don't think they recommend doing multiple DC projects at the same time. As well, getting a WU back faster is much better, because it reduces the amount of overlap work done.

9. WildWeazel

WildWeazel hard-coded Supporter

I'm in :)
    We have 0 minutes so far... somebody stop Civving! :lol:

10. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

@Sophie: it would probably be ok, but I guess the processing would be shared between the projects so there wouldn't be any point.

It's just FYI, I don't wanna start a competition here ;).

11. superisis

superisis His Highness' dog at Kew

@slozenger or anyone else

to us idiots (or just overworked college students :rolleyes: ), could someone tell us exactly what to do. I clicked on the link... clicked download... do I use any of this info
    or does that come in handy later?

Johan

12. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I wierd or what?

When I saw this thread, my guess was that it was going to be about how folding your toilet paper (as opposed to wadding) saves paper or something.

:aargh:

13. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

I've heard about these things, what do they do?

14. Sophie 378

@superisis: at the Downloads page, there are links to installation instructions by each OS, e.g. Windows instructions. Basically, download the programme you want, install and run it. If you're still confused, tell me your operating system and how you'd like to run it, and I'll PM you the info on what to do. These things also explains teams I think.
    Re teams - (describing from MacOS) if you open the programme Folding@Home and say Configure, there are tabs for Identity, Network and Security. the Identity one has boxes where you put in your name - I used Sophie_378 - and a box for team, where you enter 47958. You can stay anonymous if you want.

@rmsharpe: they download a programme onto your computer, that uses the computing power that you're not using (eg instead of a screensaver) to do number-crunching for research. It's cheaper to get volunteers than to buy time on a supercomputer.
    Folding@Home plays with protein structures; I think they have the amino acid sequence (coded from DNA, makes a long string) and try to work out from that how it folds up into a complex ball to be a functional protein. There are also plenty more projects if that sounds dull to you - check the links in my and El_Machinae's sigs.

15. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I've been running the F@H client for over a year now on 2 ancient computers and have gathered a grand total of 16,341 points so far. It's nothing really but it makes me feel good. ;)
    I'm not gonna fold for CFC though, I'm in the Dutch Power Cows team. (don't ask...)

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Okay, I just switched my system from my old team to this one. As I visit family members throughout the Christmas season, I'll get theirs switched over as well. It's the price I force them to pay for free tech support on their computers, so I'll be able to get somewhere between 5-7 systems folding by January, though a couple of those will be laptops.

17. El_Machinae

You have to be a bit careful on computers with multiple accounts (like Win XP). It will only download into one account, and will only run when that account is open. I accidentaly downloaded it on to multiple user accounts, and it made quite a mess. Just put it on the most common account.

18. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

glad to see a few or you on board. well done! :goodjob:

Nevermind Domination Victory, Team CFC gets MORAL victory

LOL

19. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

I may actually switching to that. I've run SETI@home for quite a while, but the whole BOINC thing that they've switched to is utter crap. I took it completely off of my server at home (which is the 2nd most powerful comp I have, AthlonXP 2100) because it was continually locking it up.

Is it capable of running mulitple threads at once, to take advantage of multicores/processors?

20. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.