SBB: storyboard builder

I have a question about the multi figure builder.

The window is to large for my screen, is there a way to scroll down?

No. There's a lot of things to fit in the windows. But it's a very good comment. I'm using 1280x1024, and it's true with 1024x768 the frame slider is not completly accessible.

Here is a way to work with it before I make a smaller window. Click on the orientation slider, then click the tab key (the frame slider now has the focus). Use the arrow key to move the slider

I've upload a new version slightly smaller, it now fits in a 1024x768 screen

How To Keep the Shadows Correct Using Steph's SBB Utility
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(This is NOT a full tutorial, but more of a quick guide)

Here's what I do:-

1) use FLICster on a flc file to make a storyboard in PaintShop.
(But keep FLICster open, because it is still conected to the storyboard, and any change to it will be seen in the FLICster 'clock-face')

2) change the storyboard to the nice grey Alpha.pal background.
(Note: you MUST have the 'maintain indexes' button ticked in the 'Load Palette' window)

3) run the storyboard with the grey background through Steph's SBB tool to create a bmp file.

4) use PaintShop to open this new bmp and change it to the same Alpha.pal palette as you used above.
(The 'maintain indexes' button is greyed-out, so the background becomes dark blue....this is normal)

5) use the 'colour replacer' tool to change the bmp background from dark blue to grey
(Note: the same shade of grey as the background of the alpha.pal original storyboard)

6) now copy the ENTIRE grey bmp, and it paste over the top of the original storyboard.
OR.....
....simply save the nice grey bmp with all the correct shadows as a pcx file with the same name as the original storyboard.
(Save it, then click the FLICster 'clock-face' to see how it looks)

7) last of all, click 'Export' and 'Export' in FLICster.
(FLICster will then save it by permanently changing the original flc file for you)

And that's it. :)

(When I get more time, I will write a full tutorial. But at the moment I am sooooo incredibly busy creating the Ready-Made Modpacks, which are already falling behind schedule :crazyeye: )

Alright, I tried to mess around with SBB. It's a cool app, by the way. I followed the tutorial and turned out storyboards for the rifleman and european swordsman attack a's. But after that your tutorial just kind of quit. How do I put it into a FLC to use in the game? a quick reply is appreciated!

~ Brendan

Well Rabid Pop Tart, the answer you seek is in step 6 above.....

"6) now copy the ENTIRE grey bmp, and it paste over the top of the original storyboard.
OR.....
....simply save the nice grey bmp with all the correct shadows as a pcx file with the same name as the original storyboard.
(Save it, then click the FLICster 'clock-face' to see how it looks)"

As you know, clicking 'export' in FLICster creates a pcx storyboard with pink background, that you can look at and manipulate with a paint program.
But FLICster is still 'connected' to this storyboard, and any changes that you make and save can be seen instantly in the FLICster directional 'clock-face'.

Passing this pcx storyboard through Steph's SBB utility creates a bmp storyboard. So you could copy and paste the bmp storyboard over the top of the pcx storyboard (which FLICster is still connected to), save it, then view the results in the 'clock-face'.

But the easiest way is to just use the 'save-as' option to save the bmp file as a pcx file with EXACTLY the same name, and say 'yes' to the popup warning overwrite message (i.e. the bmp file replaces and becomes the pcx storyboard that FLICster thinks it is still connected to).
Now when you look in the FLICster 'clock-face', you will see what FLICster sees....a pcx storyboard with a multi-figure unit.

But remember, FLICster will not change the original flc file until you tell it to, by clicking 'export' then 'export' again.
Only then will your new creation be fully saved by FLICster overwriting and permanently changing the original flc file.

bmp file --> (becomes) --> pcx file --> (connected to) --> FLICster --> (which changes) --> Civ3 flc file

:)

EDIT: I figured out the stuff at the bottom. I got a worker team to irrigate! One problem - my color replacer wasn't working in PSP, I had to magic wand all of the blue. Thanks for all of the help, Kryten!

~ Brendan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for the help, and sorry for not reading your tutorial Kryten...while CFC is much better than doing assigned work in my computer graphics class in school, the teachers tend to disagree :p . So I thought that I was okay with my RiflemanAttackA experiment and I was like man, this is pretty easy! but then i tried it out and the whole thing was gray. I used the color replacer in PSP and everything. Help is appreciated...and for the record, my background after the munit was created was pink, not dark blue. and yes, i loaded the alpha.pal into the .pcx before i made the munit.

(oh and since i'm kinda moving out of the actual SBB here, should i be in another forum?)

~ Brendan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could anyone please explain how to change the bmp-backgroundcolour with the "colour rplace tool".

Originally posted by xfreak4x
Could anyone please explain how to change the bmp-backgroundcolour with the "colour rplace tool".

Well, this took me a little while to figure out myself. :) I'm assuming that you're using Paint Shop Pro, if not then I can't help you.

So you have your generated .bmp file. I assume you've loaded the palette? (Colors > Load Palette, then find your alpha.pal for that storyboard.) So the background is a bluish color. The color replacer button is in the tool palette set of buttons, likely between the clone brush and the retouch buttons. Click it. Now, ove on your color palette, you'll see two colors. One will show when left-clicked, the other when right-clicked. You need to change these colors. Go to the bluish background and press Ctrl, then left-click. Then, go to the original storyboard created by FLICster, and put your mouse over the gray background. Press Ctrl, then right click. Go back to the bimap and double right-click the bluish background.

Hopefully that works. And I see this is your first post, welcome to the forums :D (always wanted to say that)

Thanks a lot Rabid Pop Tart for your help !!! I tryed a few days to get the right background and couldn't figure it out. But now it works :)

*Dominik*

Rabid Pop Tart do You have to use the "magic wand" too ? Because there are more colours replaced by the colour replacer without the "magic wand". Or am I just doing something wrong ?

*Dominik*

You shouldn't have to magic wand it...I'm afraid I don't understand what your problem is, though. The color replacer should work for the whole thing.

Yes it works now without the "magic wand". I was too stupid to change the tolerance in the colour replacer tool.

*Dominik*

Rabid, when I apply the Alpha Pal the second time, on the bmp, my background doesn't turn blue, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, solved the problem myself.
Just finished a Multi Settler.
Am going to test it right now, if it turns out OK, you'll hear about it.
;) :) ;) :) ;)

I created a tutorial for creation of an M-Unit, step by step:
you can find it here .

I especially wanted to thank Zulu, Kryten and Sprnv8, I got parts from the tutorial from all of them. Thanks guys.

Greetings Jurimax.

Can I just ask - what is the width of one square in Civ III (for instance, if my MUnit is over 35 on the X axis in SBB will it overflow onto the next square??)

BTW, Great tool :goodjob:

When creating a MUNIT, you have a check box "grid" in the preview area. Checking it will draw a red "square" divided in 4 parts.
This red square represent the size of the Civ III square, and the 4 divisions help you to center the unit.
So as long as your figure remains in this red square, it won't overlap the next square

Ok... I'm beginning to get the hang of this, just a few questions...

1) I've noticed that Kryten (and I think it was Smoking Mirror) have downsized some units of a MUnit, but not others. Is this possible with SBB, or have they used more complex method?

2) Is it possably, again using SBB, to make units travel in a direction, without having to turn the unit?

Top Bottom