1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenarii 'events.txt' error

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by lancelot54, Nov 10, 2009.

1. lancelot54

lancelot54 Chieftain

Hi.

I've just installed again Civilization II on my netbook :)
    Very great to play to this game again !

I've patched my game to have MGE.
    I have some problems launching scenarii.

When launching one, I've this error : "There was an error encountered in the 'events.txt' file. Please read the manual to find out how to debug this file."

Please help me :(
    When I launch a scenario, I have the right units but technologies, and event are not working.. :cry:

2. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

You're sure it's a MGE scenario and not a Fantastic World scenario? Because you need the right version to play a scenario.

3. Catfish

Catfish Chieftain

That's not it. MGE is back-compatible with FW. What's the name of the scenario? My guess is that the game is loading the wrong events file and there's something like a mismatch between unit names in the rules file and unit parameters in the events file. Does this scenario contain multiple rules and events files? Does the scenario come with a batch file (.bat) for swapping games files? If so, did you run it before launching the scenario? If you ran such a file, did it do more than flash briefly on the screen? What do you mean by the technologies are not working?

Who tagged this thread? Honestly. :rolleyes:

4. lancelot54

lancelot54 Chieftain

Magic_gorter :

I have make two repository for CivII : one for FW, and one for MGE. According with your opinion, I'm able to play this scenario when launching FW. But still unplayable with MGE.​

Catfish :

What's the name of the scenario?
    The problem is here for a lot of scenarios. For example : Midgard, Crusade, etc. (officials scenarios from FW).​

What do you mean by the technologies are not working?
    The technologies "works" but theirs names are not the right ones : for example, I can search "supermarket" in the Midgard scenario.​

5. Catfish

Catfish Chieftain

So the unit names are correct, but the technology names are not? Considering that these are retrieved from the same file, that doesn't make much sense. Where are you saving your games? In the scenario folders?

6. lancelot54

lancelot54 Chieftain

yes. and the files are from official Fantastics Worlds'CD.

7. Catfish

Catfish Chieftain

If these scenarios all work with your FW installation, but not with the MGE-patched version, then it sounds like something's gone awry with the patching process. Make a copy of your FW installation and then extract the MGE patch files (the last 5 files from here) to that location. Run the civ2.exe from the new directory. I still don't see how you can have units and technologies sourced from two different rules files.

Something to note: if you intend to play only FW scenarios, they are best played using FW, not MGE. MGE's back-compatibility with FW is not 100%; there are issues with AI diplomacy and city objective scoring.

8. lancelot54

lancelot54 Chieftain

:cry: still not working !

I've a repesitory with my Civ2 classic original install.
    1. I patched this civ2 classic repesitory with FW patch
    2. I patch the result with MGE1
    3. ... next with MGE2
    4. next MGE3
    5. next MGE4
    6. and finally with MGE5
    7. I run the game (civ2.exe) and choose : "begin a scenario"
    8. i open MIDGARD.SCN
    9. and i get the error with the events.txt file

What did I wrong ?

9. Catfish

Catfish Chieftain

Beats me. What are your installation paths for civ2.exe, xdaemon.dll and midgard.scn? Midgard is a FW scenario, so at least you can play it using your FW installation.