1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario: 1860 on GEM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Giant Earth Map Mod' started by Genghis_Kai, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

1860AD - Age of Imperialism
    This is the thread to discuss and update anything related to the 1860AD on GEM scenario development.

Current status: Under construction

This will be the biggest item for the next release.

Description:
    This is the Victorian era, the age of the sun never sets. The Great Britain is definitely the largest power on Earth in this era.
    However, it is a challenge for the GB to keep this status. Other than France, the traditional rival in Europe, Prussia and Italy are trying to unify their own nation and will eventually add two more imperial power competing with the GB. Prussian and Italian's unification also let to a series of war in Europe, namely Danish-Prussian War, Austro-Prussian war, third Italian independence war, Franco-Prussian war and the capturing of Rome.

While the GB has extended to nearly every corner on Earth, her problems are also coming from every corner. In southern Asia, the largest ever Indian revolt is just started. Not only that, the war status with Afghanistan and Burma still exist. In South Africa, the 'Barbarian', Zulu, is constantly threatening the empire survival in that corner. In Australia and New Zealand, constant wars with the Aboriginals and Maori will not leave the empire a peaceful corner.

Russia is also on the rise. Her eyes are on the two oldest but giant empires, the Ottoman and the Qing. Ottoman is having a bad time around. Greece has broken off, Egypt is now only nominally under the Ottoman and the desert arabs are constantly on revolt. Not even that, the French, British and Russian are all interested to partition a piece off this empire. Similarly, Qing just lost in the second Opium war to British and France. France continue the war by putting a hand on Vietnam. Other than external threats, Qing is also struggling internally with the Taiping rebellion that has spreaded almost half of proper China. Worst of worst, a new imperial power, Japan, is about to join the imperial power and will be more threatening than any other imperial powers to China.

In Africa, the Morocco is continually expanding her influent in the Sahel and contending with the local Sokoto Kingdom. The Abyssinian has just unified and with the aid from the British, quickly modernizing and at war with the Ottoman and Egyptian.

In the Americas, the civil war of the united states has begun. The world's most advanced battle is about to start. If either side win the war, it will be a new super imperial power. The Latin America is also not quiet. French intervention in Mexico, the War of the Triple Alliance and the war of the Pacific basically involved all the Latin American nations into some kind of warring status.

The playable nations are:
    Spoiler :

Britain
    France
    Prussia
    Austria
    Netherlands
    Italy
    Spain
    Portugal
    Denmark
    Sweden
    Russia

Morocco
    Ottoman
    Egypt (Vassal of Ottoman)
    Arabia (Rebellion against Ottoman)
    Persia
    Turkestan
    India (Rebellion against Britain)

Siam
    Taiping (Rebellion against Qing)
    Qing
    Joseon (Vassal of Qing)
    Japan

Sokoto
    Abyssinia
    Zulu
    Boer

Sioux
    United States
    Confederate States (Rebellion against America)
    Mexico
    Colombia
    Peru
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Chile

2. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades GEM Fanboy

A new scenario :) I am thrilled!

A suggestion: I think that a 1860 AD scenario should also have Austria. It was a major european power at that time. You mentioned Hungary in the list of civs, but actually Hungary was part of the Austrian empire (lasting till 1867) and Austria-Hungary from then on.

Best Regards,
    Ace

3. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Yeah, I meant Austria-Hungary Empire. As always, I would simplify it to Austria or Hungary. Like you said, it should be simplified to be called Austria.

4. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades GEM Fanboy

Yes. It was called Austria till 1867 (Austrian Empire). The capital (Vienna) was an Austrian city.

After that, it became Austria-Hungary, the capital stayed in Vienna though, the rulers were Austrians, and Austria was overall still the dominant part of the empire.

The Austrian Empire was a successor to the Holy Roman Empire, which was dissolved in 1806. Therefore, this civlization could be used.

Best Regards,
    Ace

5. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

One thing was incorrect previously.

India is suppose to be the rebellion of British. There was a major rebellion in British India during the late 1850s that I am including in the scenario. So in total, there are three rebellion civ to use, the native India, the Taiping Rebellion in China and the Confederacy in US.

6. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Deleted Australia and Canada. Replaced by Denmark and Burma.

7. Aramil799

Aramil799 Chieftain

It might make sense to have Australia and Canada as parts of the British Empire, since I don't believe they were fully independent at this time.

It's really exciting you're working on this time period, though; it promises to be even better than the WW2 one!

8. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Added some description of the setting.

9. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Removed Burma and added Vietnam. Burma lost it's coastal region to Britain in the 1850s and therefore not really important any more. On the other hand, Vietnam is about to be invaded by France in 1860, which is more interesting to be added.

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

This will be a great addition once finished. (Glad to see you've got the Confederates as a rebel civ; they never had a chance of winning...);)

11. Lean

Lean Prince

Is there any plans for an update, or are you busy with 1940 AD, Ghengis?

-Lean

12. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Too busy with all other things. Work is getting busier now. I am afraid other than updating the current scenarios, I don't have time to create new scenarios in the coming future.

13. Lean

Lean Prince

Well, work can be tough. Don't worry about it then Genghis, do what you can. We all appreciate the work you're doing. So we lose a senario; we have a lot of others. Thanks for the info. :)

-Lean

14. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

Why don't you set the start of this scenario at 1837? And the finish at 1901? A true "victorian" scenario?

15. Adhesive86

Adhesive86 Warlord

Genghis,

I'd just like to echo what Lean has said in that what you're producing as a modder, away from your day job is fantastic and really massively appreciated by all.

This potential scenario looks pretty exciting, but then everyone is plenty occupied with other scenarios you've already produced. :)

16. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Thanks. I am glad so many people enjoyed my "artwork" :)

17. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

I have updated the information related to the 1860AD scenario.

Current status: Reactivated. The civilizations have been finalized. Cities have been mostly set.

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Cool! Keep it up.;)

19. Lean

Lean Prince

Genghis, you're my savior. Just when I was getting tired of Civ 4, you come through and announce this. Keep up the good work, and remember, everyone appreciates what you're doing, and we're more than grateful to you.

20. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Setting the cities is easy this time since I am just editing from 1940AD scenario. Only very few cities need to be added/removed. Once I've decided which civ to include and which not to include, it was changing the ownership of the cities that took me a bit of time and it is now completed. There are still lots to go - setting the city sizes and culture, editing the city improvements, tile improvements, placing units, technologies and diplomacy. Given my current timetable, I think it will take at least another 2 weeks for sure.

Yesterday was the first time I've loaded up the scenario. As expected, British is very powerful. At the moment, it has about 80 cities. Next following is Russia with 54 cities, then Qing with 49, then Ottoman and France with 23 cities.

Oh yes, one thing I would like to seek for opinions is on Prussia, Italy and Japan. These nations were all unifying at this period. Historically, these nations only possess part of the modern territories. Italy and Japan in particular have not even included their modern capital. So the question is, whether we should keep historical accuracy or make some compromises?