[Scenario] Age of Discovery 1492-1792

wow mate, I tried this mod the other day, and it was fun!! Hadn't had so much fun in ages. fantastic mod good job, thanks for the mod!

Great scenario!!! Although I have that same problem at the end of 15th or so turn when the turn just won't end. I will try shift enter later.

Just wanted to add, that Dale, if you do find some more time to work on this mode, the Dutch should be strengthened.

They should get an extra caravel with a settler and pikeman, more army in the capital, and some basic resources as iron and horses. Maybe even an additional city in Europe, The Hague, or Utrecht more inland... With what they have now, they could never make it to their Golden Age in the 17th Century... You could also give them the VOC wonder, that would generate a merchant or a ship every now and then, or just gold. Also the flag is more like the French one. In any case, Holland is too weak and that is not representative of the history...

Congrats on the prize, it is a great scenario!

The bug with the turn not ending I believe I had figured out a couple of weeks ago, if anyone else can confirm. The trader caravel that leaves after you settle the new world moves of its own control to reach the old world, but the system for ending the turn requires you to designate an action for that trader caravel.

The trader caravel will move to the fullest extent it can until it reaches land, when it just stops. While it is moving as far as it can, you can end turns safely with the usual red button appearing to tell you that there is no more user input required. When the ship stops before completing its full range of movement by arriving at land, there is a unit that the civ engine thinks requires user input and the turn will not end, although there is nothing you can do about it. You should see that when you can not make a move, you have a trader ship that has reached land and still has movement left. After that ship is gone, you are running smoothly.

Shift-enter got me unstuck when the problem did arise.

Seems to me there are bugs with the pirates system. The reason I see why some turns are not ending is because the trader ship does not complete its full movement if it reaches land, and there is no control over the trader ship hence the green button effect. If there is no trader ship, there is no effect.

The bug with the turn not ending I believe I had figured out a couple of weeks ago, if anyone else can confirm. The trader caravel that leaves after you settle the new world moves of its own control to reach the old world, but the system for ending the turn requires you to designate an action for that trader caravel.

The trader caravel will move to the fullest extent it can until it reaches land, when it just stops. While it is moving as far as it can, you can end turns safely with the usual red button appearing to tell you that there is no more user input required. When the ship stops before completing its full range of movement by arriving at land, there is a unit that the civ engine thinks requires user input and the turn will not end, although there is nothing you can do about it. You should see that when you can not make a move, you have a trader ship that has reached land and still has movement left. After that ship is gone, you are running smoothly.

Shift-enter got me unstuck when the problem did arise.

This all agrees with my experience. One thing to watch is that it sometimes happens when you still have units to move, so it is worth checking before you press shift-enter.

Great senario btw.

Actually my problem with the turn not ending seems to be a bit more serious. It is in fact not one of my units that is causing the freeze, I had ended the turn and am instructed to "wait for other civilizations". At this stage, it is the other civilizations that need to do something, and they do not. There is nothing I can do about it, no force move, no shift enter, nothing... Unless someone has a different idea?

Honestly, I waited for half-an-hour for the AI to play, nothing. I can reload an earlier game, but than I need to play turns again and will get the problem later on. Shame, I was doing quite well as the Dutch, I had colonized most of the southern US...

Could it be one of other civ's caravel traders that is blocking? Thanks for your ideas guys! Cheers!

The Trade ship just aren´t working proberly. They slow down and make things difficult. Good idea not working proberly.

I've got the same problem with neverending wait for other civilizations. I go back to a previous save but it still happens on the same exact turn, though the turn it happens on is different for each new game. It's not the green button problem, that's taken care of by clicking on it. No, the next turn happens, all my cities do their thing and THEN it tells me to wait. And what exactly is it with the trade ships giving me 1 to zero gold? Seems like a waste to me.

I too have the above mentioned problem and it sadly makes what seemed a very good mod unplayable.

From what I have witnessed it really seems to have to do with the trading vessels. In-between-turn time just goes on forever during an enemy turn; I can access menus and everything, even exit the game.

Since I liked what I saw of this mod a lot prior to the bug (thanks again to the creator to an otherwise interesting addition to the game), I am understandably disappointed that no announcement of this being looked into has been made. I have no clue if this is hard to do, but I'd be gratefull if someone could explain to be how I take the trading vessels out of the game (though that probably won't help me with my current save game).

I too have the above mentioned problem and it sadly makes what seemed a very good mod unplayable.

From what I have witnessed it really seems to have to do with the trading vessels. In-between-turn time just goes on forever during an enemy turn; I can access menus and everything, even exit the game.

Since I liked what I saw of this mod a lot prior to the bug (thanks again to the creator to an otherwise interesting addition to the game), I am understandably disappointed that no announcement of this being looked into has been made. I have no clue if this is hard to do, but I'd be gratefull if someone could explain to be how I take the trading vessels out of the game (though that probably won't help me with my current save game).

There will be a new version of the mod. Just not for a few months as I am currently tied up with something else. :)

Have experienced the same thing, the waiting for civilizations bug. Uploaded the save in case anyone wants to see what went wrong. Awesome mod otherwise.

Attachments

• The New World.Civ4SavedGame
    473.2 KB · Views: 153
hi im new to downloading scenarios, but i followed your instructions and downloaded the file to \Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Mods\ and when i go to play the game i click advanced and load the mod, and after it loads i go to play scenario and its not there neither at custom scenario can you tell me whats wrong?

hi im new to downloading scenarios, but i followed your instructions and downloaded the file to \Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Mods\ and when i go to play the game i click advanced and load the mod, and after it loads i go to play scenario and its not there neither at custom scenario can you tell me whats wrong?

Try this -- go into the Mod's Public Maps folder and click the WB file. This should automatically load both the mod and its scenario (the map). If it fails, this means your downloaded folders are either mislabeled, not in the right place, or you have an older version of the game (my guess).

i tried that by clicking the wb file but when i do that i get a invalid mod sign when the game is loading. i checked to see if i have the latest patch and i do 1.61 but when i check my build it says my save build is 1.03 does that make a difference?

Have experienced the same thing, the waiting for civilizations bug. Uploaded the save in case anyone wants to see what went wrong. Awesome mod otherwise.

It is quite easy to check whether trade vessels ae the reason of this bug...just open worldbuilder and search for these pesky tradesmen next to AI's cities. Since I had not encountered this bug so far, I will not do it myself (besides, I am just too lazy).

I did what Lone Wolf suggested, and deleted a few trade vessels, and it worked. Don't know which one it was, though.

Am I the only person who does not encounter this bug? I've been playing as Spain, conquered Atzecs and Incas, recovered my poor economy by building Summer Palace in the Yucatan (Really, why Chichen Itza has a big growth potential, while Tenochtitlan (Mexico) is struck at size 2 forever?), which took a long time (I was running a deficit at 0% science - the only thing that helped me to aviod strike was selling techs to Hiawatha) and did not meet this never ending "Wanting for other civilizations" message. I had to press shift+enter many times, however...

And IMO bombard is overpowered a bit - and why AI uses them for defending cities, not attacking them? I just changed the strength of bombard to 7 and give it AI_ATTACK_CITY, not AI_CITY_DEFENCE tag.

It is a good MOD, through. :thanx:

I think I broke the tech tree. Playing as France on Noble (France has the best European lands, lots of growth potential) I got Infantry in the late 1580's. I think you want to make ToG a prequisite for Cotton Gin or something. You can beeline from Corporation-> Assembly line. Admittedly, on France I would have had it anyway around 1650 on noble. But I have both production plants and coal plant (+175% with forge!). Too much candy way too early. I have New World cities that can make 1 infantry a turn. This is with the save above.

Top Bottom