[Scenario] Age of Discovery 1492-1792

Do you consider replacing Arabs with Ottomans?

AoD Announcement: Beta3 released!

In the first post of this thread you will find the Beta3 download link!

At this point everything is complete except for texts in the game.

Any comments, bugs, suggestions welcomed. :)

Dale

Excellent. Of course now I'm at work, but I'll be looking at this one later on tonight.

W00t W00t... are the normans in the game?

Just started plaz. I like the scenario. Huazna Capac was an Inca. For Maza leader I recommend either Pacal )Palenque= or Smoke Jaguar )Yaxchilan)

Dale said:
Any comments, bugs, suggestions welcomed. :)

Dale
I really like the map. I also like the time period, so hopefully this will be a great scenario, once if it will be finished. :goodjob:

Actually I can't report any bugs, simply becouse I can't play the scenario now. I will have a look in the next days, I hope. Well I allready saw, there is still one (or more) icon missing; beside the fact, that all new techs still use the same icon. But I dont know wich technology has no icon.

Some words about the map. I guess, it is intentional, that there is no food in Europe? No sheeps, no cows, no fishes... nothing? :blush: Not sure, if I will like that. Well, it depend on what you are suggesting at this point in next versions. And then I think, the terrain could be a little more diverse. For example nearly the whole England is grasland. I would suggest some plain-fields, some more forests and so on. Of cource this count for the whole map, not only England...

Can you tell us/me something more about your plans? I would suggest adding some scenario specific units and buildings like different galleons or musketeers to the techtree, but I guess there are allready plans?

Thats for now, I really looking forward, it looks allready great.

One thing in AOD the strongly offends my sensibilities is the lack of a religion in SPain. I think they should be treated as having one from the start. Was there a specific reason why not?

sokar said:
One thing in AOD the strongly offends my sensibilities is the lack of a religion in SPain. I think they should be treated as having one from the start. Was there a specific reason why not?

Yes actually. In Beta1 and Beta2 all of Europe was Catholic. But as the other religions were discovered they never spread anywhere. So by eliminating religion from all European cities (better cuz now no one gets the +4 from same religion) it allowed for religious spread and nations being varying religions.

But if anyone can think of a way to incorporate Catholic without losing the religious spread of the others, then let me know. I'd love to have it in.

Dale

I've only played this scenario once so far and I chose to start as an underdog. I started with the Aztecs. I was quite surprised to see nearly all of my sized 2 cities go immediately in to starvation. I scrambled to make workers to create farms and obtain food resources. That's when I found out that my capitol and some other cities were in locations that precluded farms. They stayed size 1 until I could research the tech needed to spread irrigation.

Maybe adding some deer and fish would help. Creating a new resource like turkeys or some other native animal would be nice.

Another good addition would be the introduction of horses in the New World later in the game to reflect the escape or capture of them.

Finally I removed the "El" in my coastal city to get rid of the presumed Spanish influence.

All in all I liked this scenario. Thank you.

<<But if anyone can think of a way to incorporate Catholic without losing the religious spread of the others, then let me know. I'd love to have it in.>>

The only two things that come to mind are:
(1) Have only SPain as Catholic
(2) Add either "INquisition" or "Counter Reformation" as religions and have them start in Spain.

As it is Spain has no state religion which is no right. IN a pinch I might buy leaving it pagan but making paganism the state religion. Of couse that gives them that plus 4 with the Aztecs but that may be minor.

Not sure if you know about this yet but every Scottish colony is named "TEXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_" with the name of the city at the end. Not that big of a deal really, just thought you'd like to know.

Have not played the scenario yet. Downloaded and just finished reading all the notes. A thought on religion. I note in the regular game that the later religions come with one missionary. Is it possible to change that to a lot of missionaries - like 20? to spread Protestant?

Maybe it was my version that made this happen but it seems that all new Scottish cities in the new world have a bug that it is named after the coding rather than a simple name eg. txt_city_name_ sterling instead of sterling.

Arne said:
Well I allready saw, there is still one (or more) icon missing; beside the fact, that all new techs still use the same icon. But I dont know wich technology has no icon.
Now I know, it was protestant. I'm not sure, if this happens with different techs too, or if it is only in German version. The shot shows the popup from researching Lutherism, the pink icon is Protestant. Pedia and techtree looks clean (protestant icon is visible).

Arne said:
I would suggest adding some scenario specific units and buildings like different galleons or musketeers to the techtree, ...
I still don't know, if you are planing to add some more units (simply more ore a broader variety => different units for different civs available with same tech), but I allready made some "AoD" unitskins. For example a 17th Cent. Dragoon based on Civ4-Cavallry or two slightly different Galleons .

Hmm, first what i want say is GOOD WORK:)

Catholic is missing, simply add a new technology on start-Catholicism(bad spelling i guess:) )
Mercantilism can come later, it was used by Luis XIV in 17 century(he was 1st), not at start AoD.... because i had big money advantage from merchants on start...:)
I have not problem with no bonus resources in Europa, because player must colonize for them and it is good.
Yeah again: add sea resources:)

excellent mod, have enjoyed playing as the Brits very much. My only minor gripe is the tech tree, playing on noble it is only 1580 and we all have irregulars, frigates etc which did not come about until at least the early 1700's. As somone said a few coastal rescources would have been nice as well.
Is there also a way to stop the Saxons, and Turks reaching America? as you all know historically that is rather inaccurate (except of course immigrants)

good job though, the best so far by far.

The riflemen and irregulars idea is a bit inconsistent.

An "irregular" should not be a more powerful unit than a rifleman.

Should be a slightly weaker unit but cheaper and a bit more mobile.

Top Bottom