[Scenario] Age of Discovery 1492-1792

Rey said:
I played with the Dutch and it happened the same.

I had many colonies, but less techs and my motherland couldn't supply me properly.
Maybe adding more cities in the homeland would put things allright.

The Dutch are supposed to be hard! That's the whole point!

Can you imagine if the game was easy?

Dale

BTW, have you considered allying with France and taking out Savoy and Genoa? That provides a good base to work from.

Being Dutch, i obviously tried dutch civ first. On Noble this was pretty hard and i couldn't keep up in tech or expansion overseas. When i tried to attack hiawatha with my irregulars, the indians had bombards and riflemen, and loads of them! it killed me... :rolleyes:

This time i played warlord, which is do-able especially focusing on tech and sharing with France! become friends with france and you've got it made as Holland, joint attack on the saxons gave me Bremen and resulted i me having horses on the old continent.

I would like to plea for FISH!, i really miss it, especially around holland... here we go again... holland was wealthy as early as the 1500'ds and had a large role in science at that time.

Adding -well-placed- fish on this map will balance the game just that little bit needed.

Rey said:
I played with the Dutch and it happened the same.

I had many colonies, but less techs and my motherland couldn't supply me properly.
Maybe adding more cities in the homeland would put things allright.

Oh and building courthouses and eventually a forbidden palace REALLY helps your strategy playing dutch, you'll need 8 courthouses to build the FP

Yes, I built many courthouses...
I'll make another try, with the FP and trying to ally with France.

Thx for your suggestions Roetghoer

Pretty nice scenario, I'm still playing it. Just wanted to report a bug. Somehow I was able to discover Flight without Theory of Gravity. When I beelined for it it picked Hot Air Baloon instead, omissing other techs.

I'm playing with the Dutch again, and following your suggestions, things are going better.

I have a question though: is it normal that Native American civs gain access to units like Riflemen?
I remember a scenario about this period for Civilization II, where Natives where quite easy to conquer due to their lack of technology, but in my game I've reached their cities and they are full of riflemen, lol...

I did not look at the scenario at all, I was just reading about your experience with Dutch... would it be a bad idea to donate your town(s) in Europe to say France after you built your colonies?

crunch said:
I did not look at the scenario at all, I was just reading about your experience with Dutch... would it be a bad idea to donate your town(s) in Europe to say France after you built your colonies?

I'm way waaayyyy to nationalistic to do that...

And it adds to the difficulty maintaining 1 or 2, relatively weak, cities amongst three major civs france england and spain. Its fun! i'm stil trying to crate a war amongst them to give me an edge on science while they spend all their efforts to destroy eachother. :)ar15: isabella is a btsj :mad: )

I haven't played the scenario, but I read that all American Native towns are size 2?
Do you realize that in 1500, Tenochtitlán was bigger than any European city (Paris, Londen, Rome) at the time?
Some sources even say it was more than six times as populous as London! See several sources with this Google search

There is also the matter of great deseases which the europeans brought to the continent. Plague etc were unknown to the natives who suffered MASSIVELY from these illnesses.

Also, the aztecs had been waiting for a "white god-people" for centuries and as soon as they heared of the spanish conquistadors they welcomed them into their capital as gods and were EASILY overcome. a few hundred spanish killed a few thousand aztecs overnight! capturing their leader and making him swear allegiance to the good book.... now isn't that wonderful, fresh christians :D.

So i don't think we have to make the natives stronger. WEAKER would be a better option. Their research is too rapid at the moment. Thats the main thing, size etc of the natives works just fine at the moment.

Couldn't agree more with Roetghoer :)

When my Dutch units arrived to the New Continent, soon the Natives arrived with Riflemen and Cannons, while they should have almost obsolete units.

In the scenario they are at the same level of the European Kingdoms.

Roetghoer said:
So i don't think we have to make the natives stronger. WEAKER would be a better option. Their research is too rapid at the moment. Thats the main thing, size etc of the natives works just fine at the moment.

Well, you might want to weaken them militarily, but make them stronger in terms of population and wealth. Otherwise, what's there to conquer?

Junuxx said:
Well, you might want to weaken them militarily, but make them stronger in terms of population and wealth. Otherwise, what's there to conquer?

LAND! and with that, influence on the new continent.

When i began a war with hiawatha, the natives had 5 or 6 cities of 10+ people with riflemen and loads!! of bomdards.

I had about 3 cities that size and needed massive armies of canons and irregulars to get the upper hand without assistance of french or others.

I think giving the natives MORE cities at the start of the game would help, because it will cripple their economy and thus stifle their research for the first 60 or 80 turns.

Is this a huge map? Because as much as I'd like to play it I won't even bother if it's huge. Lag.:(

using gforce 6200 265MB with latest drivers, 1256MB RAM and a AMD1800+ CPU i don't have any lag problems but the game CTD's a lot! once every 5 turns orso, so obviously i've put autosave on every turn...

Turnswitch times are about 6-8 sec. respectable, without the mem-save option! (turn it on or off in the config.ini file in the root Dir.) Also, all display settings are on high except for AA which is 0 (doesn't really improve the game anyway, i don't zoom in on combat etc.)

And i refuse to play tiny or standard maps!!, only huge :rockon:

Roetghoer said:
And i refuse to play tiny or standard maps!!, only huge :rockon:

Yeah, I only play on Large/Huge maps, even if I must suffer a bit when there are many areas developed :D

I tried it again with the Dutch but there are just not logic, the Netherlands should become the envy of wealth, innovation, oversea power and have the most modern army in europe(Yes they had it all at the same time), it is (almost) impossible to achieve that in this scenario.

So atleast add 1-2 cities to the Dutch and give them a good strong navy.

Well, at my second attempt, following those suggestions given to me (like allying with French and taking Bremen, and building many courthouses in the colonies) and with more attention, I managed to build some Dutch colonies.

But the Barbarians (who created less problems, this time) and above all, the Natives with pleny of Rifles and Cannons didn't let me expand that much.

What I'd add in the Netherlands is some fish resource.
Building a second city would be great (I prefer the Dutch above all the other kingdoms), but then you should limit Germany.

Dutch were actually the first to implement a large corporation, and use a highly efficient banking system in the early 1600'ds. The sofisticated armies than anjf is talking about were actually for the most part the swiss mercenaries. These swiss mercs were expensive because they were the very best. Holland partly 'bought' its independence.

I'd like this scenario to be as historically acurate as possible, and in my opinion this allready is the best scenario available at the moment (brittania is a good second). Therefor i'd have to agree with rey and would like, apart from the currently lacking fish on the map, some extra fish resource near Amsterdam.

OH, and maybe ad another loaded caraval at the start. AT LEAST as many as portugal!

Top Bottom