1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

the biq on the 1st post is the latest version (new map is about 3/4 finished)

the script.text file is not causing the problem for sure

i, myself, have noticed the resource_shadow pcx is very shoddy in-game. through the editor it's fine. but in-game, it has that annoying white and pink pixels.

jimmygeo re-did the resources.pcx file and posted it a few posts back but he didn't post the resource_shadows.pcx

2. bigmeat

bigmeat The weapon of choice

that could be what's causing the crash, and i have windows xp

3. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

do you mean the system specs? i can't say for certain.

i wonder if it's the resources_shadow.pcx?

4. bigmeat

my system is plenty good enough, i can run halo pc on here pretty well

5. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

First off, I would like to say that I love the scenario and thank you very much for making it.

I have experienced the wonder crash and have the error along with my solution.
    Heres the error message:
    LOAD ERROR
    FILE NOT FOUND
    "art\wonder splash\colonial splash.pcx"
    The game will now exit.

What I did to fix it was put the colonial splash.pcx that had been in my AoI\art\Wonder Splashes folder into my Conquests\Art\Wonder Splash folder.

I wonder if the fact that the main game titles the folder Wonder Splash while your scenario titles it Wonder Splashes makes a difference?

6. jimmygeo

jimmygeo Chieftain

Thanks. It was not much of a problem once I figured out where the difficulty was.

What country?

I'm Teddy with a Great White Fleet,
    Nations tremble when I stamp my feet!

This is one honkin' great scenario! :goodjob:

jimmygeo

7. bigmeat

jimmy can you help me mine still doesn't work after your file. my comp is very good and my operating system is xp, what do you think?

and how exactly did you get yours to work?

8. The Art of War

The Art of War [none]

my game crashes before after i load the scenario....help?

9. bigmeat

take a number man and read back a few posts

10. saugrenouille

saugrenouille Chieftain

Hi there

I have the same crash problem then everybody else.
    I'm on Win 98 but have the same dll message with the usual hexadecimal mumbojumbo afterwards.

I installed Rhye's terrain graphics but to no avail.
    I have tried the ressources thing but nada.

@ El Justo : I'm sure its a graphics problem. You'll have to compare your civ III installation in great details with somebody who has the crash problem if you want to know what's going on. I would like to love your scenario but this is getting difficult. ;)

11. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

how ya doin?

re: possible gfx problem

the only thing is, why hasn't it crashed on my PC? i'm able to get the thing running but others (not all though) haven't.

the only visible default i could tell was the resources_shadows.pcx file look like bunk in-game. jimmygeo was kind enough to redo the resources.pcx after he noticed it was causing his game to crash. maybe he can redo the resource_shadows.pcx too (or anyone else for that matter b/c i'm not a gfx dude).

i'm working on a new map for this. i'm thinking this was the problem (?)

12. bigmeat

maybe someday i can play it

13. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

El Justo, I know that pretty much any time you are devoting to this scenario is probably for fixing the bugs, yet I have one suggestion for any additional versions of the game.

The tech tree is very cluttered with all of the advances crammed onto one screen. Would it be that difficult to spread them over two screens by doing away with the modern era. Also, with that change you could get rid of some of the missing techs that are pointed to but don't show up.

14. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

i'm working on a new map w/ the hope that it will cure this wretched crash problem.

as for the techs, i'm not sure what you mean. i simply added in the custom techs to the Industrial Era in the exact same location (x/y values in the editor) as the existing (civ3 deafult techs) industrial techs.

i'll take a look at it though ;)

15. jimmygeo

jimmygeo Chieftain

I got mine to work by removing (after backing them up) BOTH thr resources.pcx and resources_shadows files. Then I made the new resources.pcx file and put it in the Art folder of AoI. Of course, I had to edit the natural resources in the rules (.biq file) to refer to the new resources.pcx. Then it worked just fine. I tried again after putting back the resources_shadows and bang! it gave me the old 'jgl.dll' error.

I'm attaching a newer version of my resources.pcx file as well as the .biq already edited to take advantage of it. Just remeber to delete the resources_shadows file (after backing it up). Enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

16. bigmeat

thank you so much jimmy geo, it works!!!!!!, i am weeping tears of acid

17. Meta

Meta Chieftain

Thank you it works now. This is the best modification I have ever played. Japan is very challenging since you have to go to war with the top 5 powers in order to capture nearby territories (mutual protection pacts).

18. Meta

Meta Chieftain

By the way Fokkers are Tri-Planes not Bi-Planes and don't you think you should maybe replace Abolsute Monarchy with Imperialism since it seems to be the same as Monarchy. Constitutional Monarchy is no better except for the International Tea Trade Wonder. There are some balancing issues with the flamethrower and siege cannons since those combined are practically an undefeatable offense. Do you think you could maybe edit the map and make a version where the allied powers aren't so undefeatable I mean I attack one chinese city and the whole world draws guns on me(but it gives me an excuse to take china, the phillipines, and vietnam :)).

19. saugrenouille

saugrenouille Chieftain

Tank you Jimmygeo; IT WORKS!!!!!! [party]
    I am proud of my fellow Canadian.

Thank you El Justo for all the work. Now I have the opportunity to love your scenario. :D

20. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

Have you ever considered doing victory points instead of raw score. That would help to partially negate GB and Russia's pretty much insurmountable starting point positions.

Bye the way, every time I play this scenario it seems to get better.