1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

El Justo, I'd like to un-say everything I said earlier about the impossibilities of one of the minor civs being able to conquer any of the Major Colonial Powers:

....Granted, the Ottomans aren't exactly the most powerful of the Major Powers, but still, I managed to do it. :D

...Mostly due to my (ab)use of Artillery SoDs and the fact that I all but wiped out the Balkans 5 turns earlier (they managed to hold Crete by the lucky fact that there are two Italian Inf camped out on the only tile I can land troops on, but I've got me a Naval Academy now!) and gained a source of Industrialization, Iron and Oil so I could build my Renault Armored Cars! (I had to shell out almost 7,000 gold to rush 3 of them, but since I take in about 4000 GPT, that's not an overly-huge expenditure :lol: )

I don't know if you've been following my write-up, but my next campaign is to kick Britain out of Africa, and part of that goal includes inaugurating the "Dakar Challenge" auto rally in grand style (using Renault Armored Cars as the vehicles of choice, of course :D)...

Yeah, once I got used to the game's ins and outs, I've found playing as the Boer Republics to be an interesting and highly rewarding challenge so far... Whether or not I can actually pull of a win (I'm at about the mid-point right now) is something else, but considering the disadvantages which I started with, I would even consider what I've accomplished up to now a "win" either way. :goodjob:

2. la_Patrie

la_Patrie Chieftain

Quite welcome. :)

I'm a big "fan" (for lack of a better term) of modern military history, and one of the things I love about your scenarios is how true they are to the source material, which in turn inspires me do more reading when I play them. Playing your Vietnam scenario recently has gotten me learning quite a bit more about a war I didn't really know much about before.

Quite an accomplishment, Hikaro. The smallest civ I've played with was Austria-Hungary, I imagine that the Boers are much more difficult. They gave me some trouble when I played as Germany-- it seems like they are in a very dangerous position down there, but have some play to them.

3. DJ Bonebraker

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm currently in the process of kicking Britain out of North Africa... I just took over British-occupied Lisbon (which wasn't too hard), and have stationed about 20-30 7.5cm GebK Mountain guns there (I have RoP agreements with Germany, Russia, France and Spain so I can freely move my troops through Europe), and have, thus far, sank 2 St. Vincent Class BB's and three British Steam Transports with them... Lisbon's a pretty strategic area for that.

In addition, I've also taken over Cyprus, as well as kicked Britain out of Eastern Libya (Spain controls Western Libya), Chad, and NE Nigeria (Kano)... I also Signed the USA on as an ally to keep the Brits from pulling THEM into a war against me... The Brits DID get Scandinavia to declare war on me, so I'm going to see about using my RoP with Germay and Russia to get troops from Anatolia and the Balkans up to Denmark... :D

And yes, the Boers are extremely difficult... To give an idea of how disparate unit strength is between the major powers and the Boer Republics, the regular British Infantry, which have +3 HP and 10,10,3 ADM are powerful enough that I can't hope to win against them with my best units (Boer Commandos), which are 9,7,3, +1HP UNLESS I bombard them to 1 or 2 HP each... As I said, the only reason I've been able to get as far as I have is because I have about 70+ artillery in my arsenal (~60 7.5cm Mountain Guns, ~15 Field Guns and 3 Mountain Guns)....

Oh, and thanks to finally cashing in all my Raw Materials (all except about 20 or so, and I'm capturing more as I go), I'm now 5th in VPs :lol:

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

very nice HT :) arty is your best friend, no doubt about that!

la Patrie,
    thank you for the nice comments. vietnam is an era i spent a lot of time studying. and there's no higher compliment a civer can give to me than that :blush: merci!

5. DJ Bonebraker

Well, IMHO, I think that should be the FIRST tip in ANY Civ III strategy guide. ;)

To give you an idea of what I've managed to pull off, here's a rough map of the map at the beginning of the game (26 civ full version):

This is the map at the end of Week 52, 1908:

Attached Files:

6. kadavrali

kadavrali Chieftain

Hi, everyone it hasnt been so far that i registered the civfanatics i have a big problem about this scenario i tried to play as Britain so many times but after some turns,at every time there a mistake occurs: "Civ3conquest makes the game over and stop working" and it ends the game. i will be happy if you can help me:)

7. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

I can recommend using Apotheion's 31-civs full .biq as a map. 2 things though: playing GB is a bit overwhelming and some things may feel different, like swapped civ colours on the map and cavalry with no blitz ability.

8. la_Patrie

la_Patrie Chieftain

Je t'en prie:)

9. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Welcome kadavrali, to CFC. :)

It will be hard to help unless you specifically say how the game ends? Does it give you an error message? If so what is it? You'll want to make sure you installed it just like the instructions say to.

10. kadavrali

kadavrali Chieftain

thanks so much i read all of errors in the forum for example "spanish cavalry error"or "stadium error", nothing like that , it is not file error, the game is totally stopping and windows automatically ends the game, not the Civ :confused: it has never happened before while playing other scenarios if you can help me i will be grateful thanks again

11. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

We need to know the exact error message text, what you were doing, and what year it was. We can't guess based on the lack of information that's been presented so far. :)

12. kadavrali

kadavrali Chieftain

hmm the problem is exactly starts here, because there is not an error message:) only says,while the game is stopping, "there is a mistake and windows will stop the game"
    once the year was 1896 the other time the year was 1897 its changing all the time

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i know exactly what it is :crazyeye: it's the brackets around the unit entries in the editor. of course, it took us months (perhaps longer) to ascertain this. however, there is a fix and it's relatively easy to do:

open up the biq file in the editor and click on the Units tab. start cycling through them and when you come across a unit that has brackets [ -- ] in it, click "Rename" and simply remove them. iirc, most of these offending units are the maxim gun units (this is the culprit for the britsh crash for sure). it seems that when the city pop-up screen appears telling of the unit that was built appears, the game craps out. my guess is the the game engine can't handle these long unit names and especially ones w/ those darn brackets :) as a sidenote, the brackets were added in there initially for text formatting (brackets = italicized text in-game [ these: {} grant bolded text]).

anyways, kadavrali, try editing it and let us know if you have any troubles as we can certainly help you get through it.

i should probably have uploaded a non-crappy version of it...but i guess i never did :confused:

oh, and welcome to cfc!!

14. DJ Bonebraker

Ah, that would explain why the drop-down menu on the Domestic adviser's pop-up box don't work whenever it automatically queues up a "Maxim MG Battalion Export"..... I never had it crash, though... I have to choose "Zoom to CityX" option in order to change the build, though....

15. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Either this or use the .biq made for Apotheion. I've tested it extensively and it works fine.

16. kadavrali

kadavrali Chieftain

"Exactly":) thanks a lot el justo i will try it, i think it will work thanks again

17. NUCFLASH

NUCFLASH Chieftain

This scenario has been crashing lately and I could really use some help. I'm playing as the Brits, it just turned 1902, I end the turn and start going through the city pop-ups and then the game closes out. No warning or message from Civ or Windows. This has happened with other Civs, but later in the game (usually at the beginning of the 2nd Tech tree). The British, though, always end on exactly the same turn.

This could be a problem with my computer, but I've watched the Task Manager as the game closes and the CPU is operating at 35-40% and the Virtual Memory it at 400MB out of about 4000MB. My old computer, which had the same processor, graphics card, OS, etc., ran this scenario perfectly. Does anybody have any guesses as to what's causing the crash?

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8045821&postcount=4473

19. DuncanSimpson

DuncanSimpson Chieftain

Hi everyone.
    I managed to fix my earlier problem and began a game with the French, unsure what the issue was earlier.
    But now when researching colonial admin II I get the spanish cavalry error. I am aware that this problem is dealt with in this post:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4598764&postcount=1819
    However when I DL the patch in the post then try to unzip it then an error occurs. It says that there is an unexpected end of archive. This would indicate to me that it was not downloading properly. I have tried re-downloading lots of times with the same result. Is there any other way to fix this error??

20. El Justo

El Justo Deity