1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BEERPACK

BEERPACK General Chaos

lol, yea I guess in your case cavalry are needed. I'll have to give it a try with a weak civ. Not sure which one I should choose yet. I was debating either Boers, a S.A. nation perhaps Brazil, or Ottomans. I remember dominating with the Ottomans on the Napoleon scenario that is included with Conquests. It was just France vs me in the end. Of course I was using armies due to their unit weakness compared to the French units and tons of artillery. You playing on Sid difficulty or hardest?

2. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Since I'm beta-testing, I'm playing on Petty Officer in order to focus on details rather than sharp playing. Sometimes you gotta be sloppy to catch errors!

The railroads are a major beef with everyone that's testing this, I think. I certainly dislike them. (That's one the reasons I railroaded everything (not my normal practice) in order to see what it would look like).

Agreed on the espionage screen. Hopefully, El-Justo will make a few changes there as well. I'll have to post a note on the beta forum about that (thanks for the idea/comment - I'll credit you).

Oh, you want hopeless? Try playing as Hispaniola or New Granada (Northern S. America). They don't have a chance. I don't think HK could do anything with them, heh. ;)

3. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

I dunno about New Granada being "hopeless" (although I would agree about Hispaniola)... In my game, they actually captured 1/3 of Madagascar from the French and Hawaii from China (after China took it from the US), and Rosario from Argentina... If a HUMAN player was in control of that civ, they might do better. ;)

Beerpack, I'm playing on Monarch difficulty... As far as I'm concerned, the computer is already enough of a Cheating Bastard on Regent/Monarch/Emperor difficulty, and I'm not a glutton for punishment past a certain point (I'm willing to play the Aztecs in the Age of Discovery scenario or the Prussians in the Napoleonic Wars scenario, but only on Monarch... I don't have enough time to fool with micro-managing every single city every turn to make sure that 5 shields don't get wasted)... :lol:

4. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Thank Balthasar actually, he made the original for Steampunk and later modified it for AOI.

That actually has nothing to do with the Espionage screen. Its the country's small civilopedia icon which is used here and evidently the wrong size is being used (should be 32x32 pixels). The civpedia will be "bugged" as well, unless this effect was desired.

5. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Definitely. I myself am looking forward to a war with Canada. Thankfully New York can punch out Railway Guns every turn, and Dreadnoughts every 2. That should soften up those Canucks :evil:

6. DJ Bonebraker

Hey guys, I thought you might get a kick out of this:

After kicking Britain's ass for all of 1909-1910, here's what my VP score at the beginning of 1911 is:

...and no, I did NOT photoshop this! :lol:

Attached Files:

• 1337.jpg
      1337.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
  7. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

I'm jealous, HK. Really jealous.

It's a struggle to outscore the Brits in this scenario. Well done!

8. jimmygeo

jimmygeo Chieftain

Playing as France on Captain level, I have beaten the Brits on VPs (won a VP victory in 1912!). Testing ver. 4.0, again as France, I'm leading after taking out Brussels and Amsterdam (2 extra VP locations). Taking these two VP locations and blocking the English Channel so the Brits can't get RMs to London is my usual formula to getting and staying ahead in the VP race. This works for France and probably Germany as well (I have to try that sometime). The Americans have to take most of the Carribean and parts of S. America to get RMs which makes it harder although they can pretty well conquer all of N. and Central America fairly easily, esp. if they can stay out of war with the Brits early on.

jimmygeo

9. DJ Bonebraker

I just thought it was funny that my VP score was 1337 (L33t)... :D I.e. the Boer Republics are 1337! :p

10. Stazro

Stazro Chieftain

In a french game of mine I took over large parts of the old continent, up to the point where I had more VPs from locations than raw materials, although I already swallowed a large part of britain's colonies at that time.

11. DJ Bonebraker

most of my VPs came from "liberating" German, Portuguese, Ottoman and especially British Raw Materials... At one point I had over 300 Raw Materials in various cities throughout Africa, but then the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire foolishly decided to declare war on me, and I was able to capture the Victory Points in Athens, Thessalonica and Constantinople and started ferrying Raw Materials from Alexandria to Adalia (Antalya), which I can reach in a single turn via transport ships. During the course of my FOURTH war with Britain, I managed to acquire the following ADDITIONAL Victory points:

Oslo, Stockholm (hey, the Scandinavians should have known better than to declare war on someone who has RoP agreements with Russia, France, Germany, Spain, Austria and Italy), Lisbon (captured by the British earlier on and "liberated" by me), and the real gem, DUBLIN!

So I currently have 7 VP locations, the highest amount of any nation, thus far... Britain has been falling behind due to me 1) Stealing their Raw Materials, 2) Sinking over half their Transport Fleet (which were most likely carrying Raw Materials and 3) Reducing them to a single VP location in London. The goal of my fifth and hopefully final war with Britain will be to cut London off from all sources of Industrialization (by capturing all the other relatively weakly defended cities in England, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland), thus depriving them of the means to build more of their hideous airships, and once that's accomplished, I'm not going to stop until Britain is completely wiped out (thus accomplishing a COMPLETE reversal of history :lol: )

12. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

That does seem to be the only way to win - take the Brits apart piece by piece.

I think with my current 4.0 betatest game, I'm gonna have to just finish taking South America apart, then doing what I can against the Brits. Because I waited to start my warfare a tad later than I should have, I'll probably wind up losing, but at least I'll give it a good shot.

I think I'll play Germany in the next Betatest game and see how I fare.

The British Empire. Must. Fall.

13. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

It's still "massed troops". Just think of a machine gun as a "virtual" regiment. And I see everyone saying you need tons of machine guns to win the mod.
    D-Day (+), Chosen Reservoir (-), Tet (+). Small sample, but good success rate.

14. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

You do need to have the MG units, only if for defense. Otherwise, things tend to get a little dicey at times. :eek:

I can't think of anything over the last couple of decades that used mass troop weight to win battles, unless it's in the endless African wars or the Tamil Tigers conflict. Modern weapons seem to have put that tactic to rest.

If we had the USSR still around, and they came through the Fulda Gap in WW III, they'd probably get massacred. I guess that's the good thing about technological advancement - it saves lives.

15. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

War of attrition. That's the kind of war the AI always seems to lose. That's how I pried Canada away from the Brits.

16. DJ Bonebraker

That's also how I kicked them out of Africa and most of South Asia... All they hold in Mainland Asia right now is Malaysia, Mongolia and 3/4 of China. :D The British would constantly throw stacks of 7-15 Colonial Cavalry at my heavily-defended front-line cities and get mauled... My kill ratio against the British in Asia was about 10:1! :eek:

17. Klyden

Klyden Chieftain

The tide really started turn during the US Civil war when a mass charge was pretty much a consistent failure against troops dug in. I would have to look it up, but I want to say that such charges had less than a 20% chance of success and even if they did work, the attackers suffered horrific casualties.

After armies had the wholesale adoption of clip type rifles (they still used muskets for most of the regular troops in the Civil war, even when repeating rifles became available), gatling/machine guns and breach loaded artillery, you wound up with WW1.

18. DJ Bonebraker

....That and the fact that the Generals of the time were still using NAPOLEONIC troop strategies: I mean MARCHING IN RANKS towards a MACHINE GUN!!!! How STUPID can you get!?! I'm willing to bet several hundred thousand lives would have been spared just by implementing the good ol' Low Crawl maneuver!

It would seem Gilbert & Sullivan's "Major General's Song" from the Pirates of Penzance was entirely TOO accurate. :rolleyes:

19. Timelord

Timelord Chieftain

Personally I didn't think you could make a great game any better, and here you are proving me wrong from what I see of the screens. :)

20. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

hey thanks Timelord :)

i've been pretty busy w/ RL stuff lately. so haven't had much of a chance to update on what's going on which has been a alot, i'd say :cool:

beta testing has been going on in earnest...and there's a few slight tweaks and errors being fleshed out.

the interface has rec'd some tweaks as well as Vuldacon has kindly volunteered his time to adjust some files.

CivAgamemnon, Kly, and myself have been working on that beast of a CivP. man, that thing is seemingly endless. but there's light atthe end of the tunnell. and it'll be nearly immaculate.

spotted a few generational errors w/ some sea units - Kly actually found them as i have a propensity of adding in multiple classes of ships while in actuality, they're one in the same (all ships of the same class). nonetheless, they're minute details but being as detail-oriented as we are, we like to clean this up. and Kly is the Chief at this :)

played catchup getting unit gfx into the files. the last of them are in i think (i hope!). italian set by wyrm (inf x2, berseglieri) and Gary Childress's legionnaire unit are now in.

splashes and techs are in the pipeline as well as BadKharma started on them a week or so ago.

gameplay seems great so far...at least no major concerns per the beta reports. so this is a big plus. granted, core gameplay won't change in the least...mostly. science will be more diverse now and that's probably the biggest change (more techs, more choices, harder decisions, big rewards [+2 free techs wonders]). all a/d stats, mvmt pts, HP allotments, raw material spawns, victory point stuff will all remain the same. another minor change is the base unit of time - it's 2 weeks for every turn now. it was scaled out for previous versions. it's now set a 2 weeks across the board.

one last thing - i could probably take on a volunteer to draft some resource icon pcx files that appear in the CivP screen. there's also 2 worker action pcx files i need for the CivP as well. any takers? nothing exotic is needed...just something to improve upon the non-applicable/non-existant default Conquests art files :D