1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. the truman show

the truman show Chieftain

I really like this scenario, great work el Justo!

I've been trying to play out some of the weaker teams, and I'm playing as the Cuban rebels. Does anyone have any advice how to do......anything with these guys?

2. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

You rang? :D

-Hikaro Resource/Buiding Icon Guru

@The Truman Show: Yes, Artillery, Artillery and MORE Artillery... That and plenty of Light Cavalry... Build up the infrastructure of your city first, then start cranking the units out. Wait until Spain is at war with somebody else, then try and push them off Cuba! After that, just build up and go for targets of opportunity! That's how I managed to get as far as I have with the Boers (I'm on the verge of launching a final campaign to wipe Britain out once and for all!)

3. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

nice :)

here's the list of resource icons for the CivP (lg & sm):

natural: tea, tin
    country: Australia, New Zealand, British Egypt, British India, British S. Africa, Canada, Colonialism, Denmark, French W. Africa, German E. Africa, Industrialization, Sweden-Norway

and for the Worker Actions section of the CivP (lg & sm i iamgine but not sure):
    barricade and fortress -- barricade is the generic trench works and the fortress is the advanced trench works.

@the truman show
    what Hikaro wrote is accurate...and to be honest, we've never seen any play reports for Los Cubanos :) i'd say that Hikaro is probably the foremost expert on succeeding as a low-end civ. so follow his advice :D and i'll add another remark - Spain will have to send troops from Europe to combat you. so keep this in the back of your mind when launching your initial offensive. the Boers (Hikaro's white-knuckle game) have potential enemies at every border while Cuba is on an island. so there's a little more room to breath...oh, and welcome to cfc! i am always thrilled to see a first post made in our thread :clap:

4. BEERPACK

BEERPACK General Chaos

@the truman show, here is another tip... Put units on every single tile on islands so the computer can't unload their troops on your islands. The computer doesn't use the marine units often. They would if regular infantry could do amphibious assault like in Rocoteh WW2 Global where most countries regular infantry have amphibious assault, but this scenario to my knowledge only lets the marine units preform the action. So stacking your island tiles with one or two infantry each tile would basically prevent the computer from ever attacking your island cities. I use this tactic for my USA game for the Caribbean Islands. My US Volunteers volunteered for it.

5. rickyson1

rickyson1 Chieftain

started a game as the boers on the highest difficulty level(forget what its called)

not shown in that picture are my 231 artillery(69 field gun batterys,162 of the upgraded generic mountain guns)

FINALLY at the end of 1910 managed to finish taking all of africa(well the mainland of it anyways havent taken madagascar etc)

yes thats china on that map with half of india and tibet

and mexico took 3 citys in canada earlier in the game(before the us killed them off anyways)

current plans are to build some more transports and cavalry and then take as much as europe as i can before germany takes it and all of russia,korea etc and becomes pretty much unstoppable(really annoying taking out continents that are 100% dominated,the troops build accumulate like crazy and it gets tough to get a beachhead,was hard enough taking africa from france in my us game a while back with 500+ colonial cavalry attacking my landing force so what chance would i have with the boers lower quality troops trying to invade europe and getting attacked by 500+ german infantry ww1 and tanks:eek:)

ive found the most annoying thing about playing a minor power like the boers is the fact that they cant build workers,need to rely completely on the extremely slow spawning in your capital so now i have an entire continent controlled and only 16 workers to improve it with

6. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

very impressive rickyson1 :eek: especially on that difficulty level. well done :cool:

all civs (except for the crappy colonial workers) are restricted from building workers...we set it like this to make it more difficult to build up and to have the human player have to make decisions on where to focus etc. capturing workers is another strategy :)

7. DJ Bonebraker

You can't capture the workers... I tried that, but they just die. If you want workers to be capturable by civs that can't build them, then they have to have at least 1 Population cost (even auto-spawned ones).

BTW, do you have any reference pics/icons/whatever for the resources you want Pedia icons made for?

8. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

You can capture colonial workers. I'm not sure about engineers, though.

9. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

i think Hikaro is right. i was probably thinking of something else. however, if one can build the colonial workers, one can capture them too. this applies to the generic arty pieces as well.

@Hikaro
    just use the tin resource in game and cobble something together. for the tea resource, it's white a kettle :) leaves would suffice too. not really picky on it. for the country resources, flags would be ideal. for the trench pics, it's the trenchwork (barricade) and adv trenchwork (fortress) gfx...not sure if you need an image but they're in v3.0 :) thanks.

10. DJ Bonebraker

Right, I'll see about whupping something together this evening... I may have to use Wikipedia to find some of the colonial flags, but that won't be too hard...

And Rickyson, I must agree with El Justo, to pull off what you did with the Boers on SID is really something. My hat's off to you! :hattsoff:

11. DJ Bonebraker

Sorry about the double-post... My internet connection sometimes does funny stuff...

12. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

13. rickyson1

rickyson1 Chieftain

yeah those are what i meant,they may not work as good as the other workers but a stack of a couple hundred really can add up

and yeah capturing would work but unfortunatly need to be able to build them to capture them:( id probably have taken 20-30 in the process of taking africa if i could capture them which would help a lot

the worker situations getting even more dire in my game now,at the start of 1912 now and have 15 more cities(took the entire iberian peninsula,all of france except for nancy and lyons which the germans have,and amsterdam+brussels)

and only have 2 new workers since my last post so 18 instead of 16(ah well atleast europes pretty developed already)

id have more cavalry but lost a ton taking france,even at 1 hp french ww1 units fortified in citys can kill my cavalry pretty often:(

not shown in the picture are my 69 field gun batterys,76 steam transports,95 torpedo ships,and 31 machine guns

also of note is the insane army the u.s has

they now have 545 us infantry and 332 us infantry ww1,140+ airplanes,100+ battleships,200+ machine guns,120+ cavalry etc etc :eek:

currently building up to take over the middle east/asian colonial area,will take a while though,need to build a ton of troops for it since i need to keep a huge amount of troops and artillery in europe in case germany comes my way

i notice difficulty doesnt really make as huge a difference in this mod as it would in the regular game or some other mods(probably because troops can be build really quickly in most citys as it is here+theres plenty of cash around to rush stuff so boosting it up to 1/turn or whatever doesnt make as big a difference as it could,that and really whats extra enemy troops when you have hundreds of arty,just takes longer to kill off heh)

seems to be effecting my income a bit though,only taking in 2500 gold/turn now with all of africa and that huge chunk of western europe(heh "only",still a lot less than im used to by the time i have that much land though)

also have a lot of corruption in some of my citys

14. rickyson1

rickyson1 Chieftain

uh oops accidental double post :(

15. DJ Bonebraker

Rickyson, A few tips that I picked up from my own game (granted I'm on Monarch, but still...):

First of all, if you capture Ireland, there are two wonders, St Anne's Shandon Bells and Dublin Castle that produce ADDITIONAL Civil Engineers....

Also, re: Capturable workers: In my personal version of the scenario, I'm giving ALL workers, including the Civil Engineers a 1 Population cost... I found out when developing the Final Fantasy mod that EVEN IF YOU CAN'T BUILD A WORKER OR SETTLER UNIT TYPE, as long as it has a POPULATION COST assigned to it, YOU CAN CAPTURE IT! (El Justo, are you paying attention ;) ), so if you gave the Colonial Conscript workers and Civil Engineers a population cost of 1, you can capture them!

Second: Unless you have a Barracks in a particular city and it takes too long to build anything else, don't mess around with the Boer Light Cavalry too much... My primary strike force is made up of Boer Commandos, and even though the Commandos have 1 less attack than the Boer Light Cavalry, they have +1 HP, and BELIEVE me, that 1 HP makes ALL the difference!

Thirdly: Now that you have Industrial centers, providing you have the tech, you SHOULD be pumping out Renault Armored Cars in all your cities... Again, they may cost more and only have the same attack as the Boer Light Cav, but that +1 HP they get makes a world of difference!

Also, I'd have reccommended taking over the Ottoman Empire and the Balkans, since they're both relatively weak and they provide nice, easy-access Victory point locations (Athens and Constantinople can be reached by Transport ships in 1 turn), but again, you did good.

@ El Justo: I'm probably going to use the modern South African Flag for South Africa, but I know I can find the colonial flags for German E Africa and German SW Africa on Wikipedia... I'll get to work on it as soon as I'm done playing my second turn of 1912. :D

16. rickyson1

rickyson1 Chieftain

thats actually a really good idea,dont know why i forgot about those wonders,i remembered the one in vladivostock(and got really upset when the japanese razed it :( ) will definitly look into doing that later

bit late for my current game but ill try it out if i play another as a minor civ in the future

yeah ill probably move more towards that in the future,been using mostly the lc because their the cheapest and the low hp didnt matter all that much when i was taking over africa and spain/portugal with all the units down to 1 hp because theirs werent really that much better than mine

starting to matter more and more though,under attack by germany in europe now and that 14 def combined with no retreat against them on their ww1 infantry is just painful even with 1 hp

well the balkans werent really an option because germany already had half of it when i was planning on invading europe,italy wasnt really an option either for the same reason(except austria-hungary had half of it not germany) so really my only good options were the ottomons or spain,ended up picking spain because it was more useful to me as a base for taking more land there(nice border with portugal,france) plus its even closer to africa than athens or constantinople anyways

probably will try and take the ottomons industrial area after i take their colonial area though if germany hasnt taken it yet

17. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

very nice gentlemen :) and points taken HT :D thanks.

on an "update" note, below are a few screen shots of some more progress ---

new and clean CivP entires for the buildings - with links

and a 'before & after' shot of the city screen - Vuldacon tweaked Balthasr's original model and it looks sweet :cool:

BEFORE yes, there's an error in there!

AFTER

18. NUCFLASH

NUCFLASH Chieftain

The city-screens look great. Besides the aesthetic refinements, have there been any big changes to the game?

19. David Smith

David Smith Chieftain

Looks great!!! How much longer before it is ready?:eek::crazyeye::cool:

20. First

First Chieftain

I have to say that I really like the ugly brown railroads.