1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Interesting variations. Look forward to the story. :)

2. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Ulanen in the Prussian army weren't always ethnic Poles.

Adler

3. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

I was going to ask the same thing. To my knowledge German uhlans (lancers, right?) were dressed after the Polish fashion; not being actually Polish. Austro-Hungary and Russia used similar regiments as well.

4. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

True, that... Freiherr Manfred von Richthoffen was an Uhlan captain before he decided to take up flying. ;)

5. cubs1981

cubs1981 Chieftain

Man the suspense is killing me. I would say that I check for new posts a least 10 times a day. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

6. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

some much needed updates :)

we've been testing, Vuldacon has been on a creation binge, tweaking some here and there, and drafting the CivP file...of which i present a few screens.

now, i've written before a little about the change in science for this new version. specifically, science is perhaps the one area that is receiving the biggest overhaul (a strong word imo, probably a refit is a better term :) ). by this i mean that there will be several more (for the most part) techs per era for v4.0. of course, one may ask: how to research them all? it's hard enough as it is! well, that's been taken into consideration (as well as the total amount of turns for the scenario in connection w/ the min/max rates for research). anyhow, my point here is that there'll be a dozen+ wonders in there that will grant +2 free techs. these are sort of like steroids for the human player's science trek :cool: that is, if you can build them.

i present the "Great Invention" wonders, the "Great Discovery" wonders, and the "First Ever in History" wonders:

7. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

El-J, looks like you're doing an awesome job on your part of the Civilopedia! Great work, man :)

8. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Hikaro: Just started a new game as Scandinavia - what a big change after playing with a monster USA civilization. Managed to pull off a quick tech lead, thanks to all those +2 advance wonders, and bootstrapped production upwards.

Looks like I'll have to do a Hikaro and build lots of arty and light Cav. ;)

I'll have to take Russia on first, methinks. Easier than Germany or England, for sure.

9. Eichman

Eichman Chieftain

i am not sure how is Russia are Easier then Germany

but anyway i always Luv to play with this Big Red Machine

I wouldn't say something about England coz they are the most powerful in the entry of the game :(

10. DJ Bonebraker

Actually, El Justo made an interesting proposal that I decided to accept... I.e. playing the beta as Scandinavia and doing my Scandinavia story like that... That way I get access to the latest version so I can stop annoying El Justo with my unrelenting questions about gameplay, El Justo gets a public showcase for the new version, and everyone else will (hopefully) get another rip-snorting good story out of it.

....Although I want to at LEAST get my Boer story caught up to where I'm at now before embarking on a new one.

@Civ Agamemnon and Eichman: Yes, the Russians ARE the best choice to start with... The immediate goal would be to liberate Finland/Karelia (Helsingfors/Helsinki & Joensuu) as well as Sápmi/Lapland (Romanov on Murman/Murmansk).... Free your Scandinavian brothers from Russian oppression! Also if you can keep the momentum in your favor, try to snag Archangelsk or St Petersburg and Tallinn, so you have a clear land route to Germany (and you have a guaranteed trade route to get Denmark resource to the Scandinavian Peninsula.

As for WHY Russia would be an "easier" target, the nation is large, relatively undeveloped, and Russian units aren't nearly as powerful as German ones.... Germany, as a matter of fact, even though they are one of the smaller nations, have some of the most powerful units in the game.... That is the reason why is pretty much EVERYBODY'S games so far, Germany tends to devour Russia by the mid-late game....

Heck, in my game, early on, even the Scandinavians under AI control managed to make a few gains against Russia early on before being pushed back to Scandinavia, and even Germany had trouble taking Scandinavian territory (all they managed was to take Iceland, which, in 3.0 at least, has the worst troop buildup options of any location)... It wasn't until the Boers (me) showed up with a HUGE stack of 20+ units backed by 50+ artillery that Scandinavia finally went down hard!

As for Britain, they have their weaknesses... Namely the fact that half their territory is scattered around the globe, they only have 8 cities where they can build their most powerful units (battleships and such), coupled with the fact that Britain's AI tends to warmonger like there's no tomorrow, and you have opportunities.... Again, it requires artillery, more artillery and still more artillery, but it is entirely possible to take England early on if you start as one of the European nations (for proof, just read Tanicius Fox's Second Reich thread)...

...But the most important thing to remember is that it is best to just quietly build up your forces until one or more of your potential targets go to war, ideally would be if TWO of your targets went to war with each other, then you declared war on both and just sniped them off from the side... A perfect example would be how early in my game as the Boers, Russia and Germany went to war, which would have been a great opportunity if I was playing as Scandinavia: I could have used that war to successfully launch a simultaneous invasion of Germany and Russia... Another example is my firs war with Britain: Britain had declared war on Russia, Germany and France, which allowed the miniscule Boer Republics (me) to jump in and take South Africa from Britain...

11. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Noted on the locations. You're right, Scandinavia aren't the pushovers that they appear to be. It's not even 1900, and every city has Maxim MG units defending them, even Reykjavik. The biggest weakness for them in this game is a lack of strong naval units, but as they don't really need them, it's no big headache.

When I took on England in 1914, I conquered Ireland with ease.. but the main island? Oi I took their southernmost main city (Plymouth?), and stationed over 50 units in there.

One turn later, the city was back in England's hands, despite massive bombardment of other cities with over 100 battleships. That particular turn took 2.5 hours or so because of the constant assault by England. I don't know how many units they lost taking Plymouth back, but it had to have taken every troop they had on the island. They're simply a BEAST late game. The lack of lethal land bombardment makes the task a huge undertaking. Either get them early, or don't get them at all, it seems. :sad:

12. DJ Bonebraker

Plymouth is a bad place for an initial assault... I figured out in my game that Glasgow is the key.... Yes, there were over 200 units in Britain alone, but when I took Glasgow, I was able to essentially split the Island in half, as well as gain a point where I could easily unload reinforcements (I had an 85 unit army for that), after which I made a quick strike to Scapa, and used that as a point to ferry reinforcements back and forth from Scandinavia... Then, as you'll see with the story, it was a matter of dealing with British stacks moving past Glasgow in vain attempts to take Scapa (I moved all my troops except for 1 Maxim and 2 Boer Infantry out of Scapa), and used the fact that the AI will ALWAYS try to by-pass heavily defended cities and strike weakly defended ones to hammer all the stacks of doom down to 1 HP with my artillery as they moved past Glasgow and then finished them off before they could retreat back to Middlesbrough... Even though I lost a fair number of troops using this tactic, I was able to wear the British down and push them off the Island.

13. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

So that's the key. I'll have to remember that for the next AoI game after the run with Scandinavia. Always thought Plymouth would be a good point to start, because it's only 2 sailing turns away from Halifax. Glasgow would add another one.

I'll definitely remember that tidbit for the future. Thanks, man.

14. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

The new version is looking GREAT, and I cannot wait! But if it means more and more awesome being packaged into it, well, then that's just fine.
    Keep up the good work and if you need any help from people who don't know a thing about modding, I'm right here!

15. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

I decided to load up an old game I had, but after the first turn, the game crashed on me. The crash was at Week 26, 1907.

I'm thinking it may be a paging file issue, so is 1125mb not enough? I usually get crashes after a while on this mod, but never after a single turn.

Edit: I dunno know why, but it seems my paging file decreased. I knew I had it higher for GalCiv2, so I fixed it. It's not 2239mb normal, with a max of 3500. I'll report back with how it turns out.

Edit 2: AHA! Loaded fine! And I even believe, slightly faster.

16. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

17. chrisbk88

chrisbk88 Chieftain

OH MY GAWD. I've been playing for 2 hours and I haven't saved!!!!!

I was about to attack a Japanese city with 80 Infantry and destroy one of the last (1 of 2) South American countries with 42 Ford Armored Cars.

AND THEN I WAS RUDELY INTERRUPTED BY A DAMN ERROR.

I will destroy every single country, including the British and post the magnificent screeny! (I already have there mainland UK on their knees from bombards from about 60 Newyork Class BB) But.... Now my game is ruined. Were is the fix for this error?

18. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

I know how much that sucks. You don't have any autosaves to fall back on?

19. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Most, if not all, uhlans were based off the original Polish design (obviously making adaptations as necessary). But I suppose it's the individual soldiers that distinguish each nations units.

That's why autosaves rock! But El Justo should have a fix.

20. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain