SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

any news of the release date of the new version?

Please give us a list this the imporovements that you will include.

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i keep pushing it back. probably a week or so. it'll be a combo of your suggestions, detlef's and dreadknought's. i'll have to comb through this thread and see what exactly will be altered but you can assume that it'll be resource palcements, a few of the pesky errors such as required resources and maybe, just maybe a few new unit gfx. not sure about the latter but i'll have to wait and see. it'll be foot units if i add anything. i don't want to over-saturate the sea units.

any other ideas goin' on in your heads, fellas? groucho

3. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

Thinking about the alliances, I have a Proposal:

The Triple Alliance:
    Germany
    Austria-Hungary
    Italy (It was in this alliance in 1903)
    Ottoman Empire (were economically dependent of Germany)
    Spain (the European country with more sympathies to Germany, it almost went to the WWI with Germany)

The Triple Entente:

British Empire
    France
    Russia
    Greece (a country so dependent of England to have an international policy)
    Portugal (a country so dependent of England, since the Napoleonic Wars, to have an international policy and a Strong ally of England)
    USA (just because I think it would be weir to see USA with Germany and against England)

Maybe China and Japan in Locked war?
    I didn’t include the Lowland Countries in any alliance because Netherlands would be in the German side and Belgium in the English one, then neutral it is.

What do you think about this new system of alliances?

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

seems logical.
    a few comments...
    spain w/ the triple alliance may be stretching it some. we have to remember that 1903 was the absolute low point for them b/c of the Spanish/American war and its disasterous consequences. i would leave them neutral b/c of this w/ the lowest aggression level (which i think i have it at).
    greece: yes
    italy: kinda...they switched sides though. i forget which yr but they had nasty battles w/ the austrians during wwI.
    ottomans: yes

portugal, russia, france, US, british: yes

i would have to include the Lowlands w/ them also just for the fact of the mutual colonial relationship they had w/ the british in oceana. no?

i'm going to wait a little before releasing a new version. i'm thinking of including new gfx that may enhance the scenario but only if they're spot-on. (infantry type units in particular)

also, dreadknought has devised a version (diplo/production/resource variances only) of this scenario which pits the world vs. the USA. the premise is the abundance of resources on the continental US. it seems to be a diety or sid level type version which would make it very difficult and strategical for the human player (USA).very interesting.

5. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

Italy switched sides in April 26 of 1915 with The Treaty of London, in which Italy joins the Entente. In 1914 it declared neutrality. I recommend keeping them with Germany.

About the Lowland Countries in 1903, Netherlands was a fierce enemy of Great Britain in Indonesia. The relations between Netherlands and GB was never a good one, they compete with each other to be the financial center in the world. Netherlands had their sympathies in Germany, so close historically and culturally. That’s why I would keep that civilization neutral.

EDIT: Why don't you allow the technology trade? In history has been a real incentive to the science.

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

okay. tech trading is no good b/c all of the civs obtain the techs lightning fast when they're traded. for example, in a game i tested before i released that last version, great britain was building the 'Adv Weaponry' tech in 1906! it throws the balance of the scenario way off. alliances are no biggie i s'pose and can be changed but i wouldn't change the tech trading.

7. dreadknought

dreadknought timelord

I really like the no tech trading in this scenario and it really adds to the realism of making the advances come slowly forcing the use of the early units. It provides a element that makes this scenario stand out above others because it keeps a level playing field. Other scenarios would do well to use this as an example.

8. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo and Dreadknought,

I understand your point about the technology research, but I have an idea that maybe can work. You can make the military technology as non tradable, usually a country never sells all their military secrets, but the civilian one can be tradable.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to protect all the minery and rural technology; the civilian technologies were always in flow between the different countries.

What do you think about this one?

9. El Justo

El Justo Deity

10. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

When I try to run AoI 091504.biq I get the following error:

LOAD ERROR

FILE NOT FOUND

"Art\Flics\peru.flc"

The game will now exit.

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

that's odd b/c that file (peru.flc) is with the big DL folder on the first post.

did you place the folder and the biq in your Scenarios folder of Conquests?

12. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

13. dreadknought

dreadknought timelord

That might work and would be easy to try, just mark the ones you wont to be tradable in the editor but in a modded game Im playing its better to me to keep them untradable but that has alot to do with certain modified victory conditions I set up.

A main factor in my mind is that there arnt alot of techs to discover, which I like, and it forces players to cope with the forces of that time period, however I can see that some players would like the techs to be discovered quicker. Sometimes certain elements of realism have to be adjusted to improve the overall gameplay something all modders should consider. There is fine line to be found between totally realistic but fun to play. This scenario walks that line to perfection.

14. dreadknought

dreadknought timelord

This version is still coming. I am deep into my own game of this and turn times are increasing due to alot of ai forces to move (esp. navy) but El Justo suggests turning off (show enemy movement), if you are running a slower system as I am.

15. Metatr0n

Metatr0n Chieftain

Um Finland should be part of russia as it did not gain independence until 1917.

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

feel free to change it in your version but i will not do so in my version.

sorry.

17. Metatr0n

Metatr0n Chieftain

Cool - I wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not - and you seemed concerned with historical accuracy.

Enjoyable senario BTW

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

thanks. i'm glad you like it.

btw, i should have an updated version (x2) ready pretty soon. nothing major, just a few tweaks in the biq file and maybe (not sure yet/still waiting) some new gfx.

19. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

Do you know when we will enjoy the new version? :sad:

20. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i've been meaning to but i've been holed up w/ RL, school and my next project.

i wanted to wait for dreadnought to finish his tweaked US vs the world version (no change to AI flags, stats, etc, just the alliances). it may sound silly but i never actually finished a game w/ this scenario. i hadn't really even come close. 1906 maybe groucho

thus i've never seen some of the higher end units, techs, and improvements in action. playtested, yes but not actually in-game. i've been corresponding w/ dreadnought about his game results, etc. they've been encouraging also. at least as far as the AI is concerned.

once i can determine everything that needs to be altered, i'll get it going. feel free to post (again, i know...sorry) any ideas/bugs/suggestions that may be on the top of your head.