1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

I was playing version 3.0 recently, and found the updated files in the first post. Sadly, it killed my game as Japan as those 3.0 saves are not compatible with 4.1. I guess I don't mind, I had taken all of the Phillipines and Fochou, and had just gotten into the start of a war with Britain who came after Sakhalin isand since it was not well garrissoned. Scared the bejeebles out of me to see all those British ships going up north past my coast, but surprisingly enough the Russians retook the city and pretty much drubbed their fleets, since that had those strong General Admiral class and BBs! beating on the British CAs and lower. Odd seeing a powerful Russian fleet though.

I started a game as Russia in 4.1, I should have used a higher difficulty setting, but from what I remembered of them in 3.0 and reading the new pedia Guides I went conservative. After looking of the starting position though, I realised I had excess units, so I decided to go a little insane right off. I almost went for Trabzon, but seeing the home guards in Scandanavia, I built a transport in Tallinn the first turn, and invaded right after that.

That war was interesting, I went berserk(for me) and attacked wantonly. By Week 1 1895 they were off the continent, including Denmark. I lost 3 of 4 Cossacks, around 3-4 infantry, and a gunboat. The AI only ended up building ONE Swedish Infantry in time,and I was able to knock down the city walls at Stockholm right before it went to size 20. Even so, I should have lost more. I attacked Lulea with one infantry by itself,and won without so match as a scratch. There were several times when I almost called in the troops and tried to ask for peace, but I kept plunging and it really paid off. Net result is I am pretty much set, now all I have to do is build up.

Before I go any farther I have to say this is a huge improvement, and that Pedia is simply monumental; I've never seen a pedia for a scenario that can touch it. I've seen some good ones too, like Vuldacon/Kingarthur's EFZI2. I'm still a little in shock at how much work was put into that file. I had been monkeying with my 3.0 files just previous, so I had the two of them to compare. Just mind-boggling. :eek:

I have a few questions/comments though, after looking over some of the map, and many of the pedia entries. Let's go with the questions first:

1. I like the new music, but I miss some of the old sound files, specifically the Blue Danube waltz; is there any way to add them myself? If I can find the old files that is. :sad:

2. I have the old Notebook file withe the guides for the nations in 3.0. Both that and the new file say China's infantry units are supposedly cheap. Comparing the old and new BIQ files, they still seem more expensive then they should be. The stats look about right, but shouldn't they be cheaper? The light cavalry they get is only 50 shields more for a vastly better unit; I wonder what the Chinese AI in this 4.1 version is building.

3. In the same vein, I think the Cossacks are vastly underpowered/overpriced in 4.1. In 3.0 the russian infantry was 500 shields, for a 7-7-2 with +1 HP and the cossacks were 350 shields for a 11-6-3 with 0 bonus HP. In 4.1 the infantry is 340 shields, 7-8-2 and +1 HP, while the cossacks are 775 shields, 11-6-3 and -1 HP. They cost more then any wonder I have built so far. :p I think they should be somewhere around 450-500, and get that HP back as well. No other cavalry is anywhere near that bad, and aren't they supposed to be one of the Russian's strength's???

There are a couple things about the map that I wondered about, but I will leave most of them for now. One thing I will ask is whether the VPs are in the ideal places? The one thing that jumped out at me was how almost all the U.S. VP spots are on the east coast. Having one more on the west coast and maybe one down south(New Orleans?) might be better? With only one spot on the west coast, the Japanese AI is not likely to come visit.

There are a couple minor typos in the pedia file still. Anything that close to perfect deserves a good bug hunt. :)

a) The Danish Infantry unit has 5 HP @ regular, the Danish WWI Infantry only has 4. All the other Scandanavian infantry builds of both eras have 5, I assume this is a boo-boo. :mischief:

b) The Scandanavian Madsen MG unit has 2 movement points. That's either a boo-boo or it is a really,really good MG!

c) The pedia entry for the Guiseppe Garibaldi Export Class lists it as having 9 HP @ regular rank. The other Garibaldi unit entry is correct. I saw the Japanese ships near Vladivostok the first few turns and they had 4 HP, so it is jut the pedia entry that is off.

I always have a hard time with this scenario, no matter what level I play. I tend to not buiild enough ground units, while the AI just seems to build nothing BUT ground troops. Well, they build ships too, but you really notice the hordes when you are running thin to begin with. In that Japan game GB was heading towards the eastern Russian cities when they decided to ask me for tribute. Since they wre already at war with Russia I told them to stuff it; they immediately declared of course. That same turn they dropped four British Colonial Cavalry on the Ryukyus....and 20 on Taipei. :eek:

I'm not even sure how I managed to survive that without losing either city. They wiped out 2 elite infantry and a veteran machine gun, dmaged everything else....and then sat there with 10 wounded cavs. They had me cold, I have no idea why they stopped. I obliterated them the next turn, but they dropped 24 cavalry on me after dumping around 16 at least up north on Russia...and they had more coming. I NEVER have enough troops, there are too many buildings that need building.:crazyeye:

2. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Well, the Chinese AI builds some Light Cavalry, but seems mostly to build Imperial Divisions and MG Battalions. Boxers don't get much love, either. And the LC isn't *that* much better - the -1 HP compared to the Infantry makes a lot of difference until you've started the artillery spam (not that China has any good artillery *TO* spam ...). That aside, in my China game Peking can 2 or 3-turn the Impies, and while my northern cities do take 7+ turns to turn out LC, they have almost no improvements.

Cossacks in 3.0 were ridiculously overpowered, in my opinion. 11-6-3 with normal HP, and so much cheaper than R Infantry that it wasn't even worth building the Infantry. In 4.1, it's true that Cossacks have that HP penalty ... but then, they do advance (not upgrade) to a 12-8-3 unit with no penalty. And once you get Russia built up, you can still pump out Cossacks or Mounted Infantry every 3-4 turns in some cities.

It's alright. Do remember that it comes out in the Third Age, a bit before Tanks start showing up, and it only has a Defense of 13 (compared to the 'standard' MG defense of that age of ~15) and 4 HP. It's great for covering Artillery or Infantry stacks when attacking, but it's not better than 1-Move MG units for actual defense.

3. Grimwar

Grimwar Chieftain

I hope this helps.

4. Grimwar

Grimwar Chieftain

Opps i seam to have quoted with in a quoue :D

5. Grimwar

Grimwar Chieftain

6. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Bit late on this, but better late than never. :D

Just my comments on the points above:

1: I don't play with music, but I think you add it to the text file music, which is a play list.

2/3: Prices may seem a little "off" and while they sometimes don't make sense, the reason they are what they are is to balance what the AI will build. In 3.0, the prices are more in line with what you would think you would pay for a given ground unit. The issue is the AI would build nothing but cav for the Russians and they got to the point they were ridiculous. We wanted to try to strike a balance for the positions so that they would build a mix of units. Russia is one of the hardest positions to get it to play with a historical feel. In 3.0, it was simply overpowering. In the current version, it was wimped out pretty bad and it took us a lot of play testing to get it right where it is sort of strong, but has issues and that it would build a mix of units. It still has a tendency to build the cav, but not nearly as bad as before.

4: A lot of VP locations are not located on cities on purpose. Civ 3 has a tendency to be to stack everything in the cities. By having the VP locations in more strategic positions, it will spread the defenders a bit and also involve fighting outside of cities, which is a bit more desirable.

The US West coast was very under developed during this time period. Consider that Utah, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona all became states during the time period of the game, but AFTER the game starts. The country really had no focus on the West Coast or the Pacific until the Spanish American war and even then, a lot of the attention was focused in the Carribean, but it was realized then that the US needed to become a Pacific naval power.

I can also tell you that many hours were spent trying to weed out typos and little issues with the units. It is almost impossible to get them all and for the most part, while the bugs/typos that remain are annoying, given the size and complexity of the scenario, I would say El Justo and the team are fairly pleased with the results. As you noted, the civlopedia introduces many new concepts on what a civlopedia can contain and present and it also expands further on some concepts we introduced with the last version of TCW.

One hint I would give the aspiring player is that they should be ready to pay tribute early and often in the game, especially against the Brits. Smaller positions you can tell to buzz off (Yes Central America, we know you are a world power, but you are not getting paid off.. ;) ). After you get ready and have a good number of units, then you can get a bit more brave.

7. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

Wasn't there some update being made for the new version? I know El Justo had said he wanted to get it right the first time but IIRC he was compiling a list of changes to be made, not sure what became of that. Still, love this game :D

8. metallurgistguy

metallurgistguy Chieftain

I`ve been playing Civ3 again since last week :D

I downloaded this scenario yesterday and well.. it`s really an EXCELLENT mod

Playing as Japan and preparing to invade Vladivostok... ;)

9. Grimwar

Grimwar Chieftain

I'am enjoying the best Civ3/Scenario ever. manny :thanx: to all that helped develop this scenario and of course manny :thanx: to El Justo.

Ok a few settinings.
    a] Playining as the German's (again i :love: this 2nd lvl want-to-be Colonial Power and an even 2nd rated Major power? (Why Germany is rated as a 2nd lvl major power (they start with 9 indudtrisl cities) is beyond me :confused: )

b] 98 hours;6mins;38secs game time atm, Current turn 133, Wk 13-1905 and researching Machine Guns I.

c] The World cup :goodjob::lol: . I have a very low lvl laptop pc, 512 mem but i use a flat wide 26x20 as my main screen, So while i am watching the tv i play Civ3 also. {{btw i thought Germany was robbed by the ref today} {7 yellows + a red card in the 1st 1/2 and just 2 yellows in the 2nd, while one should have been a red :mad: }}

d] playing map 4.1 with 2 fixes, i changed the Canadian Shipyard and the Naval Station from Reduces Corruption in the Wonder Tab to un-checked.

e] I also changed the RM produced from the Colonial Govt Building from 13 to 26 and also i changed the RM from the Gold Standard and the Intl ### Trade co's (RM=ra materials) from 4 to 8. The reason been i got sick of movining the rm's in pior games and i think it makes a better game IMHO. I will explain later, but if you think it reduces the AI's building of naval units it's wrong. As of now i'am havining troble sinking the waves of hostile ships i can see. And i do have a powerfull navy (5-mins and i'll load last save) (My Current Navy conssists of; 3-Nassau BB, 15-Kaser II BB, 33 Kong BB. ;3 Von der Tann BC, 2 Molke BC.; 5-Scharnost CA. ;47-Type 1913 DD's. ;14-Type 1906 DD's. And Which i hope to Max at over 100 some day, 16 U50 subs. I scraped the older non-upgradable ships (well the few i had left) as a boost to newer better BB's ships.

f] I think my setting's are over. i may have included alot more info. but this game is so good i dream about it :bounce: And in the next post is a summery of my Game so far.

10. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

OK, new I am totally new to this scenario, and have done this:

Do I also have to do the below?

11. Grimwar

Grimwar Chieftain

Ya i think the text files are a must, but no harm in doing the lot, as the other files are so small.
    And if you wish to edit the AoI4.1-31civs-FULL.CivQe file via the Civ3ConquestsEdit, change the Canadian Shipyard and the Naval Station via the Rules/Improvements and Wonders tab's. Change the Category setting to a Wonder, un-check the Reduces Corruption tab's and switch them back to an Improvement in the Category tab.
    This will allow you or the Ai to build these costal city improvements, no real major game play without. But handy to build vet naval units :) and upgrade.

12. Sima Qian

Sima Qian 太史令

Does anyone know where the leaderhead for Boer Republics went? Mine seems to show up with the Abyssinian flag:

I vaguely recall seeing the proper leaderhead somewhere in AoI v3.0 -- did they get replaced?

13. Sima Qian

Sima Qian 太史令

OK, I'm an idiot - I should have just searched for it. Here's the post with the Boer leaderheads:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=2662552#post2662552

Anyone who wants to use these will have to edit the entries in PediaIcons.txt (under everything called RACE_Abysinnian - I guess that's how the foul-up happened; don't touch the ones under RACE_Abyssinia, since those are for the real Abyssinia). You will also need to make a correction in the scenario editor for the first era leaderhead flic for the Boer civ.

The icons don't have that fancy wavy flag effect though, and I have no idea how to add that.

14. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Congratulations El J on this latest iteration of AOI. The game just keeps getting better and better!

15. mythusmage

mythusmage Prince

Platform: Mac

Problem: Certain files are located 'off-site' as it were. The Mac version of C3C has trouble finding those files, and it takes a while for AOI to load on a 1.6 gigahertz machine. I'm looking for a list of the files in question so I can duplicate them where they exist and transfer the copies to the appropriate folders in the scenario folder. You help would be most appreciated.

Update: So Far I've discovered 5 "missing" files. I was able to insert four of them, but number five is proving to be a bigger problem than I expected.

Essentially what I did was make a copy of InfantryDeath.flc from Civilization 3 Game Data/Art/Units/Infantry and move it to AoI/art/units/British Indian Infantry WWI. AoI still can't find it.

What this means is that I can't continue with my quest. It also means that AoI can't be played on a Macintosh. Give full credit to Aspyr and their decision for porting Civ 3 to the Mac the way they did.

I'm sure Age of Imperialism could be ported to the Mac, but I'm not the one to do it. For, you see, it would require access to an editor, and Aspyr decided an editor wouldn't be made available. Maybe a Mac editor could be done using Steph's editor, but again, I'm not the soul to take on the task. So it looks like I'll have to miss out on the fun.

Thus my new signature, "Come back, MacSoft, all is forgiven."

16. CharcoalDioxide

CharcoalDioxide Chieftain

You probably moved it to the wrong folder.

17. mythusmage

mythusmage Prince

Thanks to AlanH over in the Mac forum I learned what the missing files were. So I followed his advice and AoI loaded just nicely. Dang, the USA had a large navy back in 1895.

My compliments on the graphics, and to all those who worked on them. The look is gorgeous. Can't say much on game play, but I'm expecting good things in that department. And my compliments to the chef.

18. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Recently I got back into AoI,
    And I've been noticing a problem. (Noticed it ever since the beginning).
    When Playing specifically Italy or Germany (Tanzania mainly). The Brits seem to always block the ocean around Aden and Suez. Like a British ship will be placed there and I cannot get my Transports to Mainland Italy (Or Germany). So What would you suggest I do? Blockade it my self with ships?

19. Ranger54

Ranger54 Chieftain

Yes, and prepare to go to war with those countries that want access.

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Alright, So I blockaded Suez and the ocean just East of Djibouti, and it's worked so far! :)