SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Yes! A fast computer is key! When I was living overseas I just had a crappy little tablet, and turns used to take so long with this scenario that I'd go and make myself a cup of tea and a sandwich while I was waiting for it to load.

My new PC (got it last year) totally changes the gaming experience, especially as I play without unit limits. (I'm still holding out on getting a new video card though. I will probably wait until Diablo 3 is released!)

Looking forward to the new version!

hi everyone. i'm still here :) just been busy with end-o-summer stuff as of late. couple that with this hurricane that is bearing down on my fair state (we have to evacuate) and i just won't be able to get much done this weekend. i was hoping to get more turns in but this won't happen this weekend. going to higher ground as they say. i wonder if my wife, who is losing her mind atm, will mind if i play the stevie wonder cover of 'Higher Ground' by the red hot chili peppers on the way out of town :) gonna have to secure items at the homestead. let's hope no water in the basement or worse, fallen trees. will check in when i can. outie :D

hi everyone. i'm still here :) just been busy with end-o-summer stuff as of late. couple that with this hurricane that is bearing down on my fair state (we have to evacuate) and i just won't be able to get much done this weekend. i was hoping to get more turns in but this won't happen this weekend. going to higher ground as they say. i wonder if my wife, who is losing her mind atm, will mind if i play the stevie wonder cover of 'Higher Ground' by the red hot chili peppers on the way out of town :) gonna have to secure items at the homestead. let's hope no water in the basement or worse, fallen trees. will check in when i can. outie :D

:lol: You should definitely play it!

Good luck with the storm, hopefully it will be not as strong as anticipated.

Something I just noticed: Concordia is in Argentina, not Uruguay. Rename it to Paysandu or Salto. Nothing big, but for the coming release, everything has to be perfect.

all is well again in Justoville :) i convinced the wife to hunker down instead of fleeing and we were lucky :D the eye of the storm veered west a tad upon approach of the southern tip of New Jersey. this meant that it went more up a path of the delaware river and its eastern shore instead of right up along the south jersey coast. flooding, which was a serious concern ahead of time, was not realized where i am at. the barrier islands took some lashing and flooded some. but not what they anticipated. my biggest fear was the wind and downed trees. we have a dozen+ big oak trees and some pines on our property and they sway like mad during storms. but alas, nothing this time :cool: just some knocked over tomato plants which i fixed in a hot second...

i started the last of the civp polishing. Tsar Nikolai was kind enough to assemble the data and i've been pasting it all in. a big thanks to him for the assistance. it shaved off a great deal of time off the checklist. there are still a few more things for me to accomplish before uploading. no.1 atm is to try and push this portugal game i'm playing into the final era. about half way through the second atm and hope to chip away in the coming days. turn times are so ridiculously fast...second is to make minute changes to the biq (thanks Bengal Tiger!) per my notes and others. last up is some gfx i need. it is not paramount by any stretch. a few splashes and a leaderhead flag or two. and that's it :) realistically, i can see a mid or late september release (+/-). don't hold me to it though :p

Sounds like you have a nice piece of property there! (dozen+ oaks, pines, tomato garden, etc.)

Anyway, good to know that you and yours are all safe and sound (oak trees included!).

Looking forward to it! I can't wait to sink my teeth into the new version and try some novel strategies.

Hello folks

I've just now (2 days actually) re-found this expansion, and am having great fun (trying the Brits). But I'd like to ask 2 questions. Sorry if they've been aswered but...
-despite having the tech "Dreadnoughts II", I cannot upgrade my "Dreadnought Class" into "St. Vicent Class"; but the description on the wikipedia says I can. Bug?
-what determines if a land unit is created veteran or regular? can't figure it out...

Cheers

Isn't it generally that a city with a barracks in it (in some scenarios its called a war camp or war tent or training camp) that builds veteran land units?

-despite having the tech "Dreadnoughts II", I cannot upgrade my "Dreadnought Class" into "St. Vicent Class"; but the description on the wikipedia says I can. Bug?

No, intentional. Capital Ships do not upgrade, they go obsolete. The Civilopedia should say "Removed from the Build Order" (or something along those lines) to indicate Obsolescence. Most other units with "Upgrade" Lines do upgrade (Infantry, DDs, Cruisers, Fighters and Bombers, Submarines), though some do not (IIRC, several of the Tank lines are Obsolescence).

-what determines if a land unit is created veteran or regular? can't figure it out...

In order to create Veteran Land units, you need a Barracks-capable building. Most civilizations have two - the Colonial Military Academy, a Small Wonder buildable in any Colonial city and available early in the second Age; and the Military Academy, buildable only in the Capital and available early in the first Age. There are some Wonders (Pre-Placed and Buildable) that allow Veteran units to be built:
Commonwealth of Australia
French Foreign Legion HQ
Canadian Confederation
Dominion of New Zealand
Union Defense Force
Egyptian Expeditionary Force
Askari Barracks

I'm thinking of trying a game as one of the South American powers. Has anyone made much progress with any of them? It seems like a real uphill battle. Everyone in the region has roughly similar ground troops - usually better on defense than attack - and really bad artillery. Other than Uruguay, there are also no micro-states, so everyone can be expected to build similarly sized armies. Naval lines are also poor. Infrastructure and production are undeveloped, and it takes a long time just to get the economy up and running to a respectable level. Most of the local terrain is rugged jungle and mountain. All of this makes it very difficult to embark on a war of conquest and seems to favour the defender. Any tips for an aggressive South American strat?

p.s. I play with no unit limits on highest difficulty. :goodjob:

Top Bottom