1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Will this be the last play-test you do before release?

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hopefully, yes.

on a separate note, can someone look inside their AoI folder and search for a spreadsheet for the units? i swear i packed these into the DL folder but i can't find them. maybe one of the old timers here has it? thanks in advance.

3. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Am setting up my USA to assault Mexico (remember the Alamo!). Meanwhile, as far as I can tell, most of the world is at war with someone. Massive aliances, 10+ at a side!

And I just noticed that Persia has ocupied ALL of India. Yep, there goes "the jewel of the crown".

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

5. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

I love when the little guys prosper unexpectedly.

Have you had time review the civilization traits? I think we discussed before how some could possibly be changed: giving the Netherlands agricultural makes a lot of sense, maybe giving Tibet something else instead of militaristic, etc.

Another one that might be good is giving the Ottomans militaristic instead of the useless expansionist. The Turks had a pretty well established military tradition, maintained a large army, fought numerous wars in this period, were effectively ruled by their military from 1918 onwards, and their empire was contracting not expanding. So I think militaristic might be better than expansionist, and it could make them a bit more of a regional force (right now Russia and the Balkans really have no reason to fear them which does not reflect reality). Keeping their troops fairly low quality represents that their troops weren't the most modern, but giving them militaristic should let them build more of them. That's a fairly good representation of the late Ottoman army I think: big but not especially proficient. (If I ever get round to making my 1600 scenario then it would be very big and very proficient!)

6. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

First, I applaud you all for interjecting your Thoughts and Opinions.

I must say that I am happy to see that at least most of you understand that not everything is a simple matter of the creator adjusting the editor :lol:
    To explain what I am saying... the Game Engine was created long ago and we all work with it to possibly make it do what we need, want or would like.

El Justo has worked with this many years and understands. I know he appreciates your thoughts, opinions and insights but Please do not think that he has any Absolute Control of the Game engine :lol:

Personally, I know he has accomplished an almost impossible task to provide this game and all of the Historically correct factors correctly despite the Game engine and problems to get around.

Indeed, this is a very meritorious work that deserves acknowledgement... but I must add the factors that many people do not know... the seemingly impossible factors that have been addressed and altered (that most people do not understand) to provide the best this game can be.
    Great Work El Justo and congratulations on accomplishing such a Great Game! :goodjob:

7. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

I second that. This is easily the best Civ scenario I have ever played. It is a remarkable achievement in depth and historicity. I've definitely played AoI more than all other Civ mods combined.

El Justo's Cold War scenario is pretty cool too! (And has the best music of any Civ scenario... except maybe his Vietnam one!) :goodjob:

8. jlvfr

jlvfr King

This is indeed an awesome expansion. I'm allways surprised at the amount of work scenario/mod creators put into their packs, and this one adds a very good historical side, which I'm sure took a huge efort of research. Having created a few scenarios in the old Steel Panthers game, I can only dream (well, have nightmares really...) about what it takes to do this. Well done, sir. *bows*

9. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

Geez El Justo, still at it?

Just checking in on old threads and I see you have improved on your opus.
    Nice man.

10. El Justo

El Justo Deity

wow. thanks guys. good to see I_batman too :) still at it :D

i have the civ traits on my short list atm. been busy with a variety of stuff over the last few days. but last night i was able to sit undisturbed for a bit and ran through more turns in this hopefully final test run. i stopped at wk 1 1911. i'm 6 or 7 techs into the 3rd era. been bagging most of the +2 free tech wonders along the way. been a while since my last one though. still no wars by me under the get-it-out-the-way play style. i'm chugging along :cool: built several fleets of cruisers/destroyers. i have 8 or 9 squadrons, mostly in home and colonial waters. just unlocked coastal BBs. so i've been supplementing existing stacks/squadrons with these heavy hitters (18a/12d iirc, 6 hps @ vet, 15 bm, 2 rof). heavy by portugal's standards :) ground forces 'overfloweth :pat: britain is still cleaning up. germany and austria continue to make gains at russia's expense. i've managed to firmly weasel my way into the top5. take a look at the vp race as of wk 1 1911.

Attached Files:

11. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Looks awesome! I'm surprised the Dutch are so high in the VP standings.

Regarding traits, I think most of them are good. These are the changes I made in my own game.

Tibet - Rel, Agri

Neth (and Belg) - Com, Sci, Ind, Agri

Ottomans - Rel, Mil (Militaristic to replace expansionist. At the moment they are the only civ with just one trait because expansionist is really a non-trait in this scenario.)

China - Agri, Com (Traditional Chinese culture has always been pretty easy-going about religion. After living there and learning a bit about their culture and history, I think commercial is a better fit than religious.)

Japan - Agri, Rel, Mil, Ind (Japan was engaged in one of the most rapid and successful industrializations in history in this period, so I think industrious is appropriate.)

Scandinavia - Sci, Ind, Agri? (Their land may not be as fertile but their agricultural techniques are just as good as anyone else in Europe's. Denmark actually is a major agriculture country - dairy!)

The rest all made sense to me. Although I seem to remember that Portugal was scientific and commercial or something (I forget)? Religious and commercial might make more sense?

12. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Hi, El Justo, a question here:
    Will you be able to complete the +2 wonders with a minor civ in 5.0? I wasn't able to accomplish this with the Lowlands in 4.1. Does the no building limit modification in the .exe affect wonders?

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i don't think there's a removal of the building limit for this new patch/exe. it removes the unit limit (outstanding btw) and the city limit (more outstanding :D). i've played extensively with belgium and portugal, both relatively minor civs imo, and i've been able to get most of the +2 wonders :) hope that answers the question.

14. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Is there even a removal of the building limit patch out there? I have the no unit limit and no city limit patches (both fantastic), but I wasn't aware that there even was a no building limit patch. Would be great to have if someone can post a link.

15. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Sorry; just checked and there isn't one. Obviously my mistake.

16. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

Can someone tell me what the railroad graphics from v.3.0 were called? I would appreciate it.

Also, I must inquire about something. Playing as Germany, I noticed my inland towns in Africa have boats; why is that?

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

not sure about the rr gfx for v3. were they custom? if so, then i think they were Balthsar's brownish ones. these were tweaked some for v4. if they weren't custom, they were the default civ3 rr gfx :)

those are gunboats that the germans have. just a small nuance. brits have them too across that lake.

18. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

By what I remember, the rail roads would form some neat effects, essentially having tiny villages and depots spring up along railroads if you let them progress in lines. The grasslands and plains of The USA would end up looking really cool. It didn't impact the gameplay at all, but it was a nice little aesthetic piece.

19. El Justo

El Justo Deity

ahh, they were done by Pounder :) thanks for jogging my memory. they did indeed have the power lines and buildings lined up along the rails.

20. eazyhasaids

eazyhasaids Prince

I was looking at some things in the editor and had some thoughts. Big game and ivory seem a little redundant considering big game is a primary source for ivory and especially now that belgium is a separate civ and i assume won't require big game for its colonial units. It would be interesting to add another luxury resource. Maybe bump up one of the bonus resources or add in a new one. Fiber crops come to mind due to their importance during this time and wide range of growing areas. Hemp, Jute, Manila and sisal were all important cash crops and at least one of them will grow almost anywhere.

Also a lot of the special wonders in national capitals have very similar attributes. Not sure if it would work but is it possible to mark the capital as a small wonder to enable some of attributes given to these special wonders? This could standardize capital bonuses for several of the smaller civs but more importantly free up a few more building spots.