SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

One way to see if your missing that file is to look in the folder for it, also make sure your paths are right

I have an infandeath.WAV but it's not working. I downloaded everything just normal so I don't know why my paths wouldn't be right.

Sometimes these larger downloads become corrupt at parts. I can try sending you that file, as I haven't gotten any errors?

So, are we there yet? ;)
I started a new game with France now, as Spain became somewhat boring - when you can pick your fights at leisure without really having to worry about losses it's not much fun anymore.

Took out Siam in a quick war in mid-1896, and 2 turns later the British declare war on me. :eek:
As I had only built military in Indochina until then, I had to abandon Equatorial Africa (Brazzaville, Bangui, Fort Archambault) and Djibouti to superior forces; and I lost a few ships.
But I managed to conquer Rangoon, and hope to take Freetown before the Britons agree to a peace. Maybe even Nigeria or Malta is possible, but defending what I have has priority.

For version 5:
Is it possible to maybe re-model Germany a bit? :mischief:
I've always thought that Düsseldorf wasn't near as important as Essen or Köln. Also, the Ruhr region was basically the single-most important industrial area in Germany, and it would be great if the game could reflect that. My suggestion would be to rename Düsseldorf to Essen (and the local SPAM wonder to Kruppwerke for instance, which would give a substantial production boost - +2 at least) and put some more shield-heavy resources (coal and iron, maybe even bonus terrain) on the surrounding tiles. That way, possession of this region could make or break your game. Think of the 1923 occupation of the Ruhr - if a Belgian player can take this area from Germany (only possible when the Germans are deep in a war with France or Russia, preferably both) it would cripple Germany, and boost Belgium tremendously.

Also, I think a case can be made for putting Auckland in as a third city in New Zealand: It was the country's first capital, and is the biggest city today. I don't know if it was of less importance 100 years ago, but I think not.

I'm getting repeated crashes when trying to upgrade units, such as US Infantry to US Infantry WWI. Is there an easy fix for this?

Civ3conquests has stopped working... the standard "program fail" Vista error.

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Thats the only thing I can think of, that or re-installing the game JIC something got corrupted with your current install.

Given that it's occurring when you try to upgrade units (and late-game ones in particular), the problem is more likely that you're running into the unit cap. Either disband or kill off a bunch of units and then try it.

There is a cracked .exe that removes the unit cap.

After hours of enjoyment with this scenario I would like to make some comments.

•The turns are indeed quite fast as stated. I am impressed.

•When the scenario was built off of an existing world map template, the editor took no effort to fix the large geographical errors. Specifically the geography of Russia, China, East Europe and western Canada has major misplacements of mountain ranges rivers etc. This only has a minor effect (if any) on gameplay even though the errors are of great magnitude.

•The system of points and the segregation of trade zones and passibility is fascinating. I believe this is great.

•The artillery is extremely weak. To take cities I have a ratio of over 5 howitzers to 1 combat unit. I'm sure this was intended as any error would have been fixed by now. I mention it because it's like my cities are making artillery all game.

•City sizes is a large problem. Because the ai will only garisson 3 units in a city smaller than a metropolis, it is very easy to take any city from a large country. This solution would easily be solved by setting a lower value for town/city/metropolis.

•Classical music. I never would listen to it by choice and putting it in the game was a huge risk. I think it was a success and my only complaint is there isn't a larger variety of compositions.

•The artillery is extremely weak. To take cities I have a ratio of over 5 howitzers to 1 combat unit. I'm sure this was intended as any error would have been fixed by now. I mention it because it's like my cities are making artillery all game.
Two things that I can see with this. First is that I don't consider the artillery very weak, particularly once you get 2 RoF and 12+ Bombard strength guns. I typically use ~30 artillery units in a theatre. The second is that only the human player uses masses of artillery, so making it stronger is only helping the human. I have seen the AI use artillery offensively, but not in a coordinated fashion.

•City sizes is a large problem. Because the ai will only garisson 3 units in a city smaller than a metropolis, it is very easy to take any city from a large country. This solution would easily be solved by setting a lower value for town/city/metropolis.
I don't know, size 50+ cities are uncommon, but not rare. Go traipsing through Europe, and they're very nearly common. The only places I've seen 3-unit garrisons consistently is Africa, and not even then - France and the UK have so many units running around that larger garrisons are very much encounterable.

•Classical music. I never would listen to it by choice and putting it in the game was a huge risk. I think it was a success and my only complaint is there isn't a larger variety of compositions.
Nitpick: "Classical music" embraces nearly a millenium. That aside, I agree with the sentiment that the selection is a bit small, and it's not too difficult to change - add or remove music files to the "Music" folder in the AoI folder, then edit the "Music.txt" file in the "Text" folder.

•When the scenario was built off of an existing world map template, the editor took no effort to fix the large geographical errors. Specifically the geography of Russia, China, East Europe and western Canada has major misplacements of mountain ranges rivers etc. This only has a minor effect (if any) on gameplay even though the errors are of great magnitude.

I believe those regions of inconsistency are meant to be that way, to help the segregated industry/colonial zones, plus you can only do so much with a 180x180 map.

Early on, artillery is a bit weak, mainly things like fieldguns and horse artillery, but when you reach state 2 Howitzers, they become really good. I also remember the railguns being powerful from an old American play through.

As for city sizes, I WISH I could run into 3 unit cities anywhere. Playing as Germany right now, I've done many campaigns across Europe, and Africa; and even with stacks of about 75 Krupp Howitzers on both continents, taking cities has been a chore. There was an exception while taking Portuguese Africa, as they only had a few units in each city, but that's because a stack of 60 colonial units showed up in German controlled France, lol.

Early on, artillery is a bit weak, mainly things like fieldguns and horse artillery, but when you reach state 2 Howitzers, they become really good. I also remember the railguns being powerful from an old American play through.

Railguns are powerful, yes, but most only have 1 RoF IIRC. Later on that just isn't enough to pound cities enough to let you take them without bleeding yourself, so I tend to stick with the 2-3 RoF, 12-18 Bombard guns. Like 2nd Generation Howitzers and some of the 3rd Generation Field Guns.

And I was apparently a bit conservative regarding the number of Metros earlier. It's Week 25 1897 (I'm Russia):
France has 4 (55-75), and another at 45
Spain has 3 (55, 55, 52)
Italy has 2 (51 and 61), and two at 49 - don't know if it's Food or Hospitals needed
Germany has 3 (61, 61, 71) and several in the low 40s
Austria-Hungary has 4 (51-67) and Wien is at 48
Turkey has 2 (55) in Anatolia
Russia has 5 (51-60), ~6 that only need a Hospital, and I don't know how many just need Irrigation and Hospitals to get that high - most are in the 30-44 range
US has 9! currently
Canada has 3 potentials (45-47 pop)
Turkey has 2 Middle East Metros (50-51), however, much of the land is unirrigated and unrailed still. One city is at 49, two others at 42 and 45
India has 4, with another at 47 Pop
Hong Kong is at 67, Shanghai is at 48
Macau is at 49
French Indochina has 3
Australia only has 1, but has 3-4 potential sites
British Africa currently has 7 cities that either are Metros or are cities I know can become metros with development.
French Africa currently has 6 cities that fit the above description.
There are no Metros currently in South America, but looking at two cities (Asuncion and ... Argentina's Capital) gave Food counts of ~70, so metros are possible.

So yeah - if you lower the requirement for Metropolis status, you either need to mess with the Food supply or you'll get just about every city becoming Metro :/ It's fine the way it is.

After hours of enjoyment with this scenario I would like to make some comments.

•The turns are indeed quite fast as stated. I am impressed.

•The system of points and the segregation of trade zones and passibility is fascinating. I believe this is great.

hi :) thanks for the comments.

turn times have always been something i tried to nip and we did that with AoI. in a nutshell, the less amount of things you give the AI to 'think' about, the quicker the turns. there are some compromises, of course, but the side effect can sometimes be neat (isolated regions and resources).

i would not go so far as to say there are errors of "great magnitude" with the map. that is stretching it some. are there some inaccuracies? sure. we did a ton of work with that map and it looks very, very different from its original incarnation. a more constructive approach would be to make specific suggestions as to what is off and i could possibly look into correcting it. x/y coordinates are appreciated :)

growth rates in AoI for cities can be breakneck at times and a little ahistorical to a certain degree. but on the whole, the accelerated growth rates seem to work and the balance we've achieved with gameplay is satisfactory imo. changing it around would take some work to test. and i surely don't want to go down that road at this point. ain't broke-don't fix mentality.

no risk in putting the classical music into the game. if you're talking about copyright stuff then ok and i won't go there. all of the music is period-specific (for the most part). look in the civilopedia for more details. iirc, i put artist and song name in there. there may even be a brief write up for the tracks too. not sure.

not sure if any of you have tried to mod the music folder before but it can be a real PITA. yeah, it seems as simple as setting up that text file etc. but i dare you to try to modify it and add songs into the list :groucho: go on :p i dare you :lol: crash, crash, crash. no error messages, sound file specs seemingly lining up...but crash. mix it around again, crash. i farm out this task to an able-bodied civ3 vet (Red Door). can't say that i farm any other thing out that i can physically do myself...except for the damn soundtrack stuff. so a big thanks to those of you who turn down the volume when you play :) anyhow, anyone willing to take on the task of adding to the existing soundtrack is welcome to message me. i can go into more detail. but know that it is difficult and trouble-shooting errors can be maddening...

brief update: so, so jammed up the last few weeks with a variety of things eating at my time. november look better and i know i promised a soon-to-be release but hang in there. it will be here soon enough :)

Top Bottom