1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Exciting news. I'm really looking forward to it.

I actually thought of this scenario in class the other day. I'm taking a course on Christianity and conversion in the Spanish Empire. We have a lecture on Spanish rule in the Philippines coming up, and I remember El Justo's area of expertise being the Philippine insurrection (or whatever you wish to call it) during the Philippine-American War or something along those lines. Interesting stuff. Wish I knew more about that particular corner of the world.

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

now that you say that :) here:

America's First Forgotten War: The Philippine-American War

you'll have to cycle through the thread some for continuation.

the spanish clergy held a ton of clout on the islands prior to the american possession. they owned the land and they essentially operated their little fiefdoms with a great deal of autonomy. the Vatican probably had as much clout on the islands as the spanish colonial administrators (more in the hinterlands). anyhow, this is indeed a neat and neglected part of american history, our foray into the PI :D

also, i have a short update :D instead of playing last night, i made adjustments per my running list that i've accumulated since playing this latest round as portugal. smallish things like adjusting food output (where it's annoyingly/un-historically out of place), some minute map changes (some mine, some posted here in the thread) and some resource placements. i fixed the upgrade chain for spanish mg units. it was broke :) i think it was Bogatyr who noted this a few months ago (i think). in the meantime, AnthonyBoscia is assembling a Units folder with all the new gfx, the most recent (Delta's ships and some other swap-outs, sounds too). there really isn't a whole lot more to really tweak...other than actually finishing up this game with portugal :cool:

3. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

El Justo... Glad to see you are doing so well with the adjustments for this new release.

Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version is History adapted into a playable Game and certainly Teaches as well as offering Great Fun! This is one of the best ways to teach.

I can see History class Professors using this game for teaching purposes... Classes such as "AOI 101" are just around the corner :)

4. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Great link. I will definitely read over this before class. Thanks!

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

found some time this evening to pick up where i left off on my written/game-tested to-do list :cool: made my way to the part about reviewing some of the civ traits. i recall it was discussed some a few months ago. here's what i have so far. nothing set in stone and opinions welcomed :D

Romania: Religious, Agricultural, Neutral

Belgium: Industrious, Scientific, Commercial, Colonialism

Tibet: Religious, Agricultural, Neutral (they were milit, expans, neutral)

Ottomans: Militaristic, Religious, Agricultural, Colonialism (was expansionist instead of militaristic + same other 3)

Netherlands: Industrious, Scientific, Commercial, Colonialism

what say you? :cool:

6. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Those look good, specially the changes for Tibet.

7. eazyhasaids

eazyhasaids Prince

how many cities is romania getting?

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

9. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

I would add Agricultural to both Netherlands and Belgium.

10. El Justo

El Justo Deity

top-end civs, colonial ones get 4. so which one to remove? i think the others are more valuable in terms of game play. the agricultural trait doesn't offer much. what do some of the others think? i will switch it if there's enough feedback. please advise which of the four would be out, too. :)

11. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

I can see the dilemma now. The Lowlands have always been densely populated and top dogs in Europe in terms of agriculture. If you want to be historically correct (only for the time period) you could leave Commercial out for Belgium (no better option) and Industrious for Netherlands (it was lagging behind Belgium in industrialization).

12. El Justo

El Justo Deity

13. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Great taste :goodjob:

14. Fredeye

Fredeye Warlord

I’ve tried to create almost perfect maps for my Mods; the huge maps are practically impossible. Civ maps just don’t take account for the sphere effect very well so customized Mercator is the way to go.

I find CIV music to be repetitive after a while so I use the PC's Media Player and play my own music. You can still hear the Civ sounds just as if you had the Civ music playing.

15. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

While it's probably too late to make a difference, seeing as you're working on a whole new installment of the mod, I did find a bit of a problem. While playing as Japan, I started a war with Russia. While navally bombarding Vladivisotok, the phony wonder Port of Vladivisotok was destroyed. It was the first ever phony wonder I've seen destroyed by bombardment.

16. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I cannot recall, if the mod has the Great Wall or not. If it does and Russia had it, that could be the well known bug.

17. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the new dynamic in the Far East (Russia cut off from Korea and Japan with land access to China), and also Russia's new Central Asian situation. It seems like Russia will be one of the more changed nations... although still likely to get hammered by the Austro-German Alliance in most games I suspect. It may be time to finally play a game as the Tsar.

But I'm actually leaning towards the Ottomans for my first game, which would still let me experience the new Central Asian dynamic I imagine.

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

it was a concern for some time if or when one of the dummy wonders is smashed by NGF. i always had it in the back of my mind but never saw it. this concern was allayed some with the advent of the no-raze patch. however, there are a few locales on the map that use the dummy wonder as a pre-req for some other stuff. iow, the potential for some kind of dummy wonder malfeasance occurring, albeit minimally, exists :)

russia surely has a new look and feel. in my last test run as portugal, russia got chewed up, mainly by the germans and austrians.

i attach here as a sneak peek images of the civilopedia large pics for the light machine gun mfg plants. Vuldacon whipped them up for me right quick. snazzy as always :cool: these lmg's can't be built any longer and are spawned by these wonders. LMGs also have different stats now (higher attack). no longer are they in the defensive role like the other MGs. they were used for assault, walking fire, trench fighting, suppressive fire. so it made sense to flip around the stats. this was probably the only section of units where i was never fully comfortable with the stat arrangements. this time i am :D image 1: left to right -- BAR, Chauchat, Lewis Gun, Madsen

image 2 : splash for Greek Evzone HQ

Attached Files:

19. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

I have no clue if I looked right, but I believe this dummy wonder is based off the Temple of Artemis.

Looking at it in the editor, I can't seem to find any options for making it invulnerable to NGF. However, checking the Port Arthur dummy wonder for reference, (as NGF didn't mess with that port wonder), could it be the fact that the wonder in Vladiosotok has a naval defense? Would removing that make it invulnerable? To be honest, as far as dummy wonders go, this is one of the more useless ones; but my curiosity is piqued now!

20. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

Both are very perspective if you play them yourself. Whichever you choose, be prepared that high war weariness and general unhappiness will make your life miserable :eek: