1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

That's right, geminisama. It's not the naval defense (which is an attack value), it's the naval bombard defense which makes the building susceptible to destruction. Same concept for any building with land bombard defense values.

2. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Also, to expand on what vmxa said regarding the Great Wall bug, the bug occurs when a building which has bombard defense is placed in a city by another wonder so long as it is below the town->city pop. limit, and what it does is when bombarding the city, it destroys other improvements/wonders, because it can't destroy the walls as they are indefinitely placed by the wonder. Once the city reaches past the town size this stops being an issue, because the walls wouldn't be destroyed anyway. So I guess if the situation was that a naval bombard improvement was placed in every city, the same would hold true so long as it was being bombarded by naval units.

Since the Vladivostok wonder produces its own naval bombardment I would say that isn't the issue here, but I thought I ought to raise it as a general point of concern as it's caused me a couple of headaches in the past.

3. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Just to clarify, who gets the LMGs? US (BAR), France (Chauchat), Britain (Lewis), and Russia (Madsen), right? Does anyone else have access to them?

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

5. jlvfr

jlvfr King

May I suggest giving Lewis to Portugal as well? Our expeditionary force in WWI was completely refited and supplied by the UK. We got Lewis, Vickers MGs and some light artillery.

For reference:
    Lewis users
    CEP

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

7. jlvfr

jlvfr King

8. Babylon746

Babylon746 Warlord

Also, I think the Madsen LMG should also be available to Scandinavia (if possible). It was built by a Danish company, after all.

9. TsarNikolai

TsarNikolai Chieftain

It is available to Russia and Scandinavia.

10. jlvfr

jlvfr King

I'll second that, for awesomness alone! The brazilian police was still using them in 2009!!!

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

yes :) i forgot about Scandinavia. they get the madsen too. here is the complete list of the LMG spawns:

British Empire in GB, Canada, and Australia
    France
    US x 2 (chauchat and then the bar)
    Belgium
    Russia
    Scandinavia

as a counter, Germany and A-H can spawn 'assault troops' (russia too btw, imperial guards also).

12. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Yay evzones! :goodjob:

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i finished adding in the last of the new units :) in a nutshell, there's about 40 new units, give or take a few. they look good and imo will give a nice tune-up to the aesthetics. i've been scanning the civilopedia file some too. i don't think i want to wait for the latest batch of ww1 units that are being made. we'll see though. first instinct is to not wait and upload when i physically finish with it all :D

14. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Go with the advice of Obi-Wan and James McCloud.

15. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

"Patience" ;) Don't be too fast, I'm going to have more free time next week to do what we were talking about. ;)

16. Ranger54

Ranger54 Chieftain

I agree with Ares de Borg. As much as I want to get my hands on this update, I'm willing to wait for the new units. El Justo is already beginning to look elsewhere, i.e. The Vietnam War Deluxe, which suggests it will be some time (if at all) before he goes to work on another update to this excellant scenario.

El Justo, do what can be done while the hood is up and the car is still in the shop.

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

:lol: ok :) i'm ok if it's weeks. i just don't want to wait multiple months. nuts and bolts are pretty much finished. some possible sounds from Ares is one :D and of course, the large bloc of WW1 units. i do not envision using them all, wholesale. there's a good chunk i can foresee. but i don't know the entire list. iirc, i remember seeing something about 200 units (!) that number is staggering :lol: i shall wait though :p

18. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Best policy El Justo... After all the hard work and efforts, a couple of weeks is no big deal when it can make a significant difference in the game. :)

19. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Great scenario, but I have few ideas for improvement.
    1. many territories are connected like Japanese islands, Sicily with Italy, Scapa flow, etc... I think that is much more challenging when they are separate.
    2. I often play as Austro Hungary and I think that they could use one more coastal city and could you change they civ color to white because that is more like Austria then now.
    3. City of Wien should be more to the west.(this is just for esthetics appearance).
    4. Also I don't like that i can practically pass over Denmark. Its more challenging if German fleet must go around peninsula.

20. Babylon746

Babylon746 Warlord

One problem however would be that you couldn't build many things - primarily ships, but also some kinds of artillery and several improvements - in these separated places (due to the lack of sea trade).
    The thing is though that Austria-Hungary's fleet could basically only be built in Triest in reality, leaving them with a smaller fleet than others. Yes, they had a naval base at Cattaro, but I don't know if that (or another Dalmatian city, like Dubrovnik or Split) should really be put in. El Justo's decision in any case.
    The thing is, the Germans built the Nord-Ostsee-Kanal (or Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal, as it was then called) primarily to be able to shuttle their fleet around without having to go around Denmark.
    I would love to have Kiel on the map too (it was the German fleet's main port besides Wilhelmshaven), but there's simply no room for that on the map. So giving Hamburg access to both the North Sea and the Baltic shouldn't be changed in my opinion.