1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Well Industry resource and others needed to built Ships and other things an be also added to others let say Japanese islands if they are separated. But it dosen't matter because mainland should be where you built ships and others.
    As for one city of Austria the thing happend to me that citizen of Trieste deposed my government to the Italy and I loose only coastal city. I'm playing at hardest level and maybe that is because of that.
    And in that case Hamburg should have access to Baltic and North sea. But still city itself could be that canal. Because If you loose your fleet you can't attack Denmark because its on Island.
    So I think that Denmark and Germany don't need to be separated.

2. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

I'm fairly certain that Culture-flipping is disabled, and I've never had Spy-induced rebellions occur. Anyway, the real solution to your problem is to either reconquer Trieste or conquer another coastal city - the Balkans or Ottomans make a good choice. It's exactly the same as if you'd lost the city to open war.

IIRC, the older versions had them connected. Forget why they were seperated, but I for one prefer it - fewer Scandinavian units traipsing through good German land and getting in my way. And Germany shouldn't be losing naval superiority in the Baltic. The only ones who could take it would be the British, and even then it's not probable.

3. Babylon746

Babylon746 Warlord

Well, Copenhagen IS on an island. The only time it was conquered fair and proper (if we don't count the British bombardment in 1805, and the 1940 invasion that was largely unopposed) was when the Storebælt froze in a hard winter and the Swedish could walk over the sea...
    Granted, Jutland is connected with Germany, and in the 1864 war Prussia and Austria occupied all of it, prompting Denmark to negotiate peace - so attacking Copenhagen wasn't necessary in most cases.

But if you as Germany lose your entire fleet (against whom? Scandinavia? Doubtful; and even against the Russian Baltic Fleet it's improbable), you're just not good enough. ;)
    Besides, Copenhagen is practically at your doorstep, all you'd need would be a great number of transports to ferry a bunch of troops & artillery over. It can be done in one turn, so you wouldn't even need naval cover.

@ChaosArbiter: I think the reason to disconnect Copenhagen from Europe was that otherwise Germany would just walk in there and conquer it when they felt like it. It would be one city (with rather average defenders) against the whole German Empire... Guess who wins.

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

the primary reason i separated denmark in versions past was to isolate the danish infantry builds and to prevent copenhagen from building swedish and norwegian units. this and the annoying scandinavian trespassing through germany :)

really bad new on another front - HD crash at home :( i am lost for words, really. i almost threw up right on my keyboard as i saw it unfolding in front of me. needless to say, i am going to try to recover files. if not, it's months of work down the drain. say a little prayer for me, why don't you ? :please:

5. Blaze Injun

Blaze Injun Night Radio KYSE

Hey,

OMG!!! :faint: That is horrible news! You can have my good luck for awhile.

Blaze Injun

6. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Ah damn... wish you all the best! Don't try anything fancy, though. Sometimes an expert can do better at this (had a HDD crash a while ago, my IT buddy managed to get the thing going for another 2 hours before it became a total loss - time enough to save almost everything).

7. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Ah crud! Good luck with the recovery! :sad:

This is why I have 2 external backup HDs...

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

9. Babylon746

Babylon746 Warlord

Good luck with that.
    Hoping you'll be able to get everything AoI (and all the rest too, of course) out in time and without much damage...

10. Nexxo

Nexxo Prince

Well actually I played short as Germany and British Fleet attack my. I just put my fleet out of the city to the north sea and around British Islands in so called war game and then British Empire declare war on me and then they destroy more then 70% of my fleet.
    Bad luck but they were treating me to give them amount of money and I say no.
    I did not expected that they will declare war right from the start.

Good luck to El Justo

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

it can unfold a lot of different ways in different games. by that i mean that it varies to a pretty good degree in terms of strength and success for certain civs. for example, france might get steamrolled in one of your games. and then in another completely different game, she may herself roll and nip the tommies out in a bunch of areas. it all depends :D as they say. of course, there are key moments in most games, usually in the first or second era, where a civ can really capitalize on MPPs and poach cities. being in the wring place at the wrong time though :lol: like in the north sea when the brits declare war :lol:

probably will not get to the HD stuff until tomorrow. thanks for the nice wishes all :please:

12. geminisama

geminisama Resident Batman

Wow, good luck recovering all your important things on that HDD! While it would suck for AOI to be delayed, I'm sure there are more pressing things on there that need saving! I'll offer a prayer towards the machine god for you.

13. kadavrali

kadavrali Chieftain

can we get 4.2 for newer version soon? cant wait it:)

14. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

Whenyoulied, didn't you read a few posts before your own? No? Go read'am.

El Justo, keep fighting! There's a russian proverb: fate has no tests for you which couldn't be passed. Keep your flag high!

15. El Justo

El Justo Deity

16. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Sorry to hear about the files, I hope you can recover everything.
    By the way, while doing research for a Spanish Civil War scenario I am working on, I found out about the Spanish Legion(although founded in 1920), which was largely based on the French one. Any chance they could get a similar auto-producing wonder? It would be nice to give Spain their own form of "elite" troops.

17. Donkeyman

Donkeyman Chieftain

I have an old 5.0 set of beta files if you need them, from back before my hand shattered in a variety of interesting ways. They're pretty old though, from like June or July I think.

Did your HD break mechanically, or logically? If it was logical, getting the data back should be relatively cheap and painless. If it broke mechanically, you'll have to pay someone a whole bunch of money to get data back- only really worth it if that HD has actual important personal data on it.

18. pat4

pat4 Believe it!!!

France V Britain is always interesting in Africa. I'd would say Britain wins 2/3 of the time but whenever France gets going if I'm playing as any other power near Africa it just becomes a mad scramble to grab as many of those cities as possible!

Also sorry to hear about the HD :(

19. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Chieftain

Since GB is the main threat in this scenario, I usually try to assist the other countries in Africa and Asia against them. Generally, I wait for them to declare war on Fance, and I then pay everyone else in Africa to declare war on Britain too. That tends to contain them. (I once saw Ethiopia carve out a fairly decent little empire in East Africa using this method. Britain had just taken the Italian colonies, and I then paid Ethiopia - who had never been at war - to attack Britain. The newly conquered Somali and Eritrean colonies were poorly defended and the Ethiopians walked in. Of course, England was also fighting about 8 other countries at the time!) This doesn't work if Britain goes to war in Africa too soon though (i.e. before you can sign alliances).

One thing I've noticed is that 9/10 of the time England takes out Germany's African colonies early on. I suspect they may be going to war because of the submarine bug, and then Germany obviously stands no chance against England in Africa on its own... unlike in real life! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Emil_von_Lettow-Vorbeck

One of my favourite generals of all time. :D

20. Anossa

Anossa Chieftain

I've found, that if you have the navy to do it, go to war with France, Britain, USA (any of the big powers) early and consistently. You probably won't gain anything, but It helps to shrink their armies especially on mainland Europe, that way if you wait till later to try and pull other countries in against them, you don't have to worry about getting swamped by all the infantry they've brought from Africa or where ever else.