1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. El Justo

El Justo Deity

has going back to the 'save games' cured the lag or does it still persist?

2. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Chieftain

Starting at Week 23 and trying several different strategies: declaring war, not declaring war, etc. all get me to the same place (not a good one!). I did not go back to Week 17.

I did play an earlier version all the way to a victory condition, but the 2.1 version is what has caused the issue.

3. El Justo

El Justo Deity

SirWilliam,

i'll have to take a closer look at it. i know that in a previous version, this lag thingie occurred. i think that it was caused by an issue surrounding the AI trying to load an immobile unit onto a naval transport. this is known to cause crashes/lags.

don't ask why this happens. it's the silly AI were talkin about here;-)

4. Kanzler

Kanzler Chieftain

Wow, this scenario took almost all of my time between christmas and silvester.
    I´m playing germany as emperor and it`s really hard.

Now in 1909 I could conquer Scandinavia (should be done really early, I declared war in the first round), the netherlands and the balcan including greek. In africa I lost most of my colonies, only Deutsch-Südwestafrika (area around Windhoek) could withstand.

Most of the "neutral" countries were conquered by the alliance, only the americans and some nations in south america could survive. Now the alliance can concentrate on me, so I´m happy, that this scenario has no strong offensive units like tanks.

By the way:
    I had some problems with the funky snakeline in "Sao Paulo class dreadnought". My computer did not extract the file correct, so the data was missed.
    (perhaps because my computer uses "german" software)
    I could fix it, but maybe you should avoid this line in scenarios to make them more international.

5. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

Actually not at all unhistorical...Had war broken out between the British and Russia, because of conflicts in Central Asia, they almost certianly would have taken German help...But them going to war with France again, is probaly not possible in this time.

6. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

This scenario is superb!
    One of the best scenarios I have ever played :goodjob:

I am currently playing as Americans and kicking brits out of Canada.
    Allmost everyone is in war against me :(
    It's stupid that countries like Abyssinia declare war against me.
    But I guess it isn't scenario creators mistake.

7. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Kanzler,
    your report is interesting. thanks...

i had worried that germany wasn't strong enough but it seems that you're doing just fine. ;)

i know that I couldn't properly zip up the original file b/c of that little tilde thingie in "sao paulo class dreadnought". it might be a language/software issue. i forget which compression program wouldn't recognize it but i do remember the issue.

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Grohan,

thanks for the kind words.

it's hard to dictate when the AI civs declare war. actually, it's nearly impossible.

we love playtest reports, you know... :mischief:

9. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Chieftain

Great Scenerio. I am losing sleep!!! It seem that in AoI 2.1 the three Advanced Weaponry Wonders still require Steel (which does not exist on the map??) Instead of just eliminating "Steel," how about requiring a certain building, like a Steel Plant, that could only be built where a city has both Coal and Iron.

Also, the Marine Corps Wonder does not seem to produce units for the US???

10. bogdanSUPERIUS

bogdanSUPERIUS Go Philly Go

I'm playing as Russia (AoI2.1) , now at week 23 1905 and in war agains Japan, China, Scandinavia and some countries in S-America.. I'd conquered all of Japan towns in Manchuria so now they have only one city near the Hong-Kong and at islands.. I'm surprised when one of my citys prodused Meiji Rifleman, I forgot that I'd bild Meiji Academy!! Is it some kind of bug, coz russian Meiji Rifleman sounds very weard???

11. Kanzler

Kanzler Chieftain

Hallo again,

I´m now in year 1910 playing the germans (see above) and the game becomes freezed.

In war against the alliance I´m able to hold my cities but not to expand. The alliance destroys always my whole infrastructure, so in peace there is a lot of work to do.

Now I´m thinking of new stratagies. I think, for Germany its important to invade parts of south america early in the game, because there are some less powerful nations and the alliance is only weakly represented. Later in game units from there could support warfare in africa. Maybe for my current game it`s to late (half of south america is conquered by the americans), but i should try.

Other stuff:
    Already the alliance teched me out, they failed to build the advanced weaponry wonders (all build by me). I do not know, if they need some trade goods (see thread above) or the AI fails.

Have you ever thought of a german colony special troop, i don`t think, they would change the game balance, but i would love them!

At the moment i have not much time to play, but its a pleasure to spend the less time with AoI 2.1

12. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

It seems that the Factory requires the Marketplace. This seems ok, but I am unsure whether it was a bug or an intentional addition

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

that's b/c the Meiji Rifleman Academy (or something like that) is pre-placed in Japan & it autopro's those units every so many turns. i may have to restrict it by govt type or some other qualifier.

14. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Kanzler,

very nice report. as always, i enjoy reading them.

i had been away for the last week and did not have an internet connection. sorry for the late response.

i would like, at some point in the near future, to do an update for this scenario. i was waiting on some customized gfx from another CFC'er but he's yet to make them.

it's definitely on my list though b/c this one is like my little baby :love:

15. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

I wont do that because if the Russian Empire can conquer Japan, I'm sure that they can use japanese troops. Like all the imperialistic powers did with their natives troops.

16. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

Now that you put it like that, it does make sense to let the conquering power keep the unit producers. But if you dont want them to get it, just flag it as cultural. The conquerer will destroy it.

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

on second thought, i like this idea.

i shall leave it as is.

there's a few things that willneed to be fixed w/ this scenario. i'm hoping to get it done w/in a few weeks. first, TCW then AoI.

18. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

just thought i'd drop in and say wow what a great scenario. Picked random and got Chile. Currently in week 21, 1905. In Europe there hasn't been much going on yet. Lots of war but the only city captured was one german one by the russians. italy lost all of it's colonies but berbera to britain. germans also (like the other game) lost all their colonies except windhoek area. americans conquered venezuela but lost san juan to portugal. I conquered Peru but now am at war with argentina and bolivia who keep harassing my workers :mad:

overall very impressed with the scenario, offensive units aren't overpowered.

19. El Justo

El Justo Deity

AluminumKnight,

that's a pretty neat report. thanks for the nice words, too.

i have this on my list to update some time in the not-so-distant future.

there aren't any major changes needed. just a few tweaks and maybe a new unit or 2.

20. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

One note in regards to resources.

First, remember when the game starts (1960). The trade dynamics of the world were quite different then compared to now. The US was not nearly so dependant on imports of oil and the Texas/Oklahoma oil fields were booming along with the Pennsylvania fields as well.

It should be noted that even today, the US imports around 12% of its oil from the Middle East. Most of the imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico and Venzuela. Much of the Middle East crude goes to Europe and the far east.

The other issue is that it is very difficult to set up and ensure that oil is traded between countries of the same side. Many times, the AI will simply not trade with you, even if you are on the same "side". I have seen several issues with this on WW2 scenarios involving Germany. The tendancy is to give them no oil and make them try to figure out a way to import it and it almost never works very well.