1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. r16

r16 not deity

the prime suspect in these days is the Steam upgrade .txt thing . Have you checked that ? People will surely link that correct file .

2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Hi Aeon, as R16 posted, the mess in the labels text was done by Steam, not by the modders. They added a senseless new line 'unknown' into that file, playing havoc with the labels text files of existing mods and scenarios. You can find such a fixed file in my mods CCM2 and RARR, but I will attache it to this post, too. Please rename the file to labels and replace the labels text file in the scenario with that file.

Nevertheless the errors in 5.0v are not yet 'worked out'. I just released RARR 1.7, the next will be an update of WW2 Global Gold, than comes the AOI patch and than SOE.

Attached Files:

3. Aeon

Aeon Chieftain

Nice! tyvm solved that interface problem. I do indeed play on the steam version these days... still have my original civ3 cd around somewhere though heh. Its been many years since I played this Aoi scen and i remember it was really cool back then although i dont remember the version. Also have many fond memories of playing DYP and RARR as well although RARR doesnt currently work on my steam version the last i tried it. Great to hear work is still being done on all these great classic scenarios for c3c. I just started a new campaign on lieutenant diff as Italy, since I figured it would be a good way to learn Aoi again without dealing with the massive micro headache of playing the big powers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. Aeon

Aeon Chieftain

Been really enjoying the scen so far. I did get the Belgian cav error and applied the fix which didn't work, so I ended up just copying the files from the US Cavalry unit folder and then renamed the ini and that worked.

Here's a couple of screenshots from my game, I didn't originally plan to conquer in Europe; it was pure opportunism that led my armies into this area heh. It was the Ottomans that demanded tribute from me and I said go to hell so they dow'd, and from 1901-1904 I built up and invaded Libya, Crete, and took Anatolia+Constantinople and there wasn't much they could do about it. I had originally planned to snag East africa from my small base there but I actually haven't done anything, just been passive in that region. Now the AI controlled civs are all having a massive melee amongst themselves with multiple military alliances and truces and betrayals every turn, it's really quite something. The British were the first to get hammered when most of the other AI ganged up on them around 1903. Amazingly, even though I took the Ottoman capital and industrial homeland, they actually were able to conquer British india entirely because they had enough production centres in the Middle east.

And now I have 11 new VP's on the European continent which are adding up quickly every turn ;)

Attached Files:

5. revirii

revirii Chieftain

Completed my game with France. I didn't check the victory status, but only the victory points, so i missed that i was close to 66% of the world area and already had 79% of the world population. It's turn 198.

Short summary: i stayed passive in Europe. In Africa you should take care that you don't get attacked by Britain (i lost one city, but thx to tons of money i soon went into counter attack). Indochina is a nice base where you're able to build up infrastructure and troops. Well, Great Britain is always a threat: suddenly 5 fully filled transports appear and drop the units on Madagascar...

I actually can't remember the order of every city/nation that was conquered. Africa (besides 2 islands) is mine; Europe (besides Amsterdam and some scandinavian cities); continental Asia + the japanese main island is mine; conquered Northern America, some caribbean islands, started to conquer Brazil. Eliminated completly: Russia, Abessinia, Boer republics, Italy, Belgium, Persia, Ottoman Empire, Balcan Nations, Austria, Romania, Tibet, Siam, China, Mexico.

:D

6. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

Hi. Nice to see people still enjoying this little gem.
    In case this is being worked one, I request changing the demonym of "La Plata" to Platense and the noun to Platenses. The "Central S Americans" thing is very awkward. In strict sense "Peru-bolivian" would be more accurate for that position but that's kinda long.
    Another minor change for flavor (and clarity) purposes would be to rename the constitutional monarchy of Italy to "Regno d'Itaia" for no other reason than to make it stand out a little.

As a token of appreciation, here is a mostly fixed civilopedia file (\Scenarios\AoI\text). It includes all the corrections listed in here and a few others of my own. There are still many barbarian unit with the destroyer description, but now some have real ones.
    As much as I would like to post a fixed biq as well, my own version it's different enough that it would be kinda difficult to only include fixes. For instance, it connects the Falkland Island (Stanley) to the mainland w/o a land bridge or buildings (same with most other islands). It also includes less sensible changes like allowing Chile and Argentina to build replicas of their contract dreadnoughts if either gains access to industry or removing the need of British government to make the commonwealth wonders work.

EDIT: I would also suggest changing the noun and adjective of New Granada from "Northern S Americans" and "Northern S American" to "Neo-Grenadians" and "Neogrenadian" respectively (or some variance). I hadn't realized that I changed that at some point due to unintended wars because I couldn't differentiate easily between New Granada and La Plata under some circumstances.

Edit2: File removed due to being outdated. See following post.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  7. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

Me again. As requested a few post back, here is a list with all the issues that I managed to find related with the biq. It also compiles those (recently) mentioned by others:
    - Kwantong Garrison requires "Industry" resource, thus making it unbuildable.
    - Danish Infantry can't be upgraded to Danish Infantry WW1.
    - Belgian Infantry WW1 can be build by the Dutch rather than Belgium.
    - Generic Destroyer lacks the "rotate before attack" flag.
    - Canadian Manufacturing Plant can be build anywhere once access to "Canada" resource is acquired.
    - US marine can't upgrade to US marine WW1 despite description. Because the pre WW1 version costs 0 shield, it will be really expensive regardless.
    - The Chinese city of Erenhot has no initial defense on it.
    - China title is Emperess rather than Empress.
    - All of China cities start with a Home Guard Unit (industrial) rather than militia(colonial). This may be intentional.
    - Italy preferred government is the wrong version of Constitutional monarchy. The British one, I think.
    - Belgium has access to both generic Horse Artillery Battery and the British variant. The generic one is probably unintended, albeit it has some merit (no iron need).
    - The pre-placed wonder British South Africa Co. requires "Colonialism" rather than the more appropriate "South Africa" resource. This is mostly a consistency issue, not a gameplay one.
    - Romania has artillery issues on 2 fronts:
    -- Access to Horse Artillery battery in generic, British and Russian variants, upgrades included. If nothing else, the British line is strictly superior to the Russian one while the generic line has the saving grace of allowing cannons w/o iron.
    -- It has access to the generic howitzer and a French model (155mm Mle 1914 Howitzer Battery).
    - The scenario still calls itself 4.1v rather than 5.0v or some variant of that.
    - Not sure if intentional or not, but the Generic Horse Artillery Battery doesn't need iron while all other variants do.
    - For whatever reason, the Spanish leader is called King Alfonso XIII, resulting in "King King Alfonso XIII".
    - Brazil, Germany and Russia have square titles. The Issues lies within the Player section: There is an extra leader name in there.
    - Siam has no access to either Light Cavalry or Maxim guns.

Here is a list of issues with the civilopedia. It doesn't include those addressed on my previously posted file:
    - King's African Rifles typo: Produces British Askari, not Senegalese Infantry WW1.
    - Panama Canal wonder lacks a "First ever" or equivalent descriptor.
    - Phony wonder pages are unreadable. It also includes several no longer used.
    - Balkan Nations still mention Romania.
    - Romanian Infantry/WW1 still redirects to the Balkan countries entry, and is called as such.
    - It may be an error on my side, but the Austro-Hungrian page lacks some rather important words.

To keep it in the spirit of my previous post, I attached a rar with a modified civilopedia file that addresses the issues listed above plus most fixes mentioned here and here. Regarding the civilopedia, descriptions for the British rebels and removal of unused phony wonders are still pending. It also expands the "Carrier" and "Naval Aviation Aircraft" help to include a list of all related units for ease of reference, and a few other edits for ease of reading.
    Also, I happened to find an unmodified version of the biq file. As such, I also attached a patched version addressing all issues listed above excluding the Romanian one as I'm unsure what was really intended: the "Strategy Overview" mentions the British line while the "Artillery: Romania" one references the Russian line. It also does nothing about the generic Horse Artillery Battery. As a bonus I included a few extra titles to several governments, but nothing mayor. Also, Death to the square kings! :mischief:.

Lastly, a suggestion: Increase the initial culture of the Romanian city by 5 to allow their Trench guard to start on Romanian clay. Or just give that unit to the Balkans.

EDIT: Removed old version of the file that somehow sneaked in.

Attached Files:

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Arcangelus, nice job. I tried to use my old version, it has a ton of issues, so I am looking to get a fresh setup. Can you tell me what and where you got the data file and the biq? I take it that the two fixes you posted are all that would be needed, once I have the correct downloads.

9. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

Ups. Only one of those 2 was intended (the 4MB one), the other is an earlier version that I though was not included. Probably what happens when you upload-cancel-upload over 15 times. I'll see if I can remove the spare one.
    I had the files somewhere on a spare drive, so that's no use to you. However, there is a download link here. That I just noted no longer works. Crap. Whelp, at that point I may as well just post the entire thing. Here we go. It's ready to go for the non-steam version of the game.

Regarding the patch:
    IF you have a non-steam version (like no raze), then that patch is all you should need (it may have some redundant files).
    If you have the steam version, then you need to mod the labels file (text folder in AOI) to avoid weird texts. You need to go to the line 86 and add a new line with Unknown on it (between PING and Host). There is a edited file posted above. Also, on the text folder (of the full version) there are labels files according to what version you have, if you don't feel like editing it yourself. NORAZE also means no-steam in this case.

Just as a reminder, Romania still has an artillery issue (access to Generic, English and Russian lines). Also, Mexico is a sucky industrial power (no colonialism tech). Same with Romania, but that one is intentional.

Happy conquest.

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Great, let me see, if I have it right. I have downloaded the file you posted and the fix. I applied the fix. I am using steam. So I need to rename to get the steam labels file to be the labels file used.
    Then I need to use the fix biq, either via a shortcut or renaming. This is labeled AoI5. The one I had was AoI4.

This will be very useful for players coming here later as I am sure they will. I am fine with things not being what was intended as long as it does not crash hours later. Well I can probably get around missing wav file or pediacons.

11. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

The fix is not required if you download the big file, as that is the installation that I use. It won't hurt either, so no issue there. It only has value with the original download (in which case it solves several CTD) that is no longer available. (not that I was aware at the time)

Correct on the label thing. Just keep in mind that with the steam exe the AI will, once in a while, destroy cities. And you can't get them back. Usage of a no raze exe, as long as the correct label is used, should stop that from happening. There is a Readme alongside the biq files explaining this. Something not mentioned is that sometimes the NoRaze exe only works as intended if it's called "Civ3Conquests", and I've seen reports of not always working if the current game was started with other exe. I'm unable to confirm or deny it.

AoI4 was the last version posted on the first thread (that I'm aware of), and those files I no longer have. Afterwards, there was a 5.0 that was rescued from computer death via backup. The lingering errors were mainly due to that.

About the biq files... It doesn't really matter. You can load them from the scenario section directly. You are free to rename them, but it doesn't really matter.
    The one called "AoI5.0" is the original scenario file, included mainly as reference. It has some bugs, but nothing game breaking. Keep in mind that it call itself v4.0 for some reason.
    "AoI5.0_fixOnly" addresses said bugs, and nothing else. It calls itself v5.1. Do note that civilopedia corrections are universal, no matter the biq used.
    There is no 3rd file.

Lastly, and mostly to anyone using this scenario for the first time, please don't try to open civilopedia files for resources with warnings on them. You won't like what happens next. Don't say I didn't warn you.

12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Thanks again. Yeah I don't mind them razing towns. I know that the no raze has an issue with more than 512 cities, but AoI has a fixed count. I just prefer them to do what their coding tells them to do.

Thanks for the reminder about the pedia issue on resources. I think Civinator has that resolved and may eventually incorporate CCM2.5.

13. Lone 54

Lone 54 Chieftain

Hey Arcangelas!

I've downloaded the scenario with your bug fixes. When I try to start a game I get a Pediaicons.txt error related to "ICON_BLDG_US_LMG_II". I've checked the Pediaicon text file and there IS a line for that building. What gives? Can you help?

14. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

That's weird. Even in the worse case (use steam exe, no changes to labels.txt, "4.0" scenario) I don't get that error. It may be a corrupted download. Try downloading the big file again (don't bother with the 4MB file) and see if there's any difference.
    It could also be a "folder inside a folder" issue, albeit then you shouldn't be able to see the scenario in the first place. If you open the scenario editor (Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe) and use it to see the biq file AND you see regular civ3 graphics, then this is the issue.

15. Herbert George

Herbert George Chieftain

Thank you Arcangelus it's really handy to have all this in one place to re-install on my new computer without too much fuss! I agree it's good to let other powers build troops in Australia, New Zealand and Canada, too!

In answer to Lone 54's question, I had exactly the same problem, but I realised I didn't have the full install first, you need to download all the files on the link in Arcangelus's post #7689 that says "Here we go" - without this a huge number of files are missing. Once that's installed then install the various fixes on top and it should work fine!

16. revirii

revirii Chieftain

Finished a game with Russia, took me 129 hours... :cool: are such times normal? :rolleyes::D

Which could be next... Japan? Another try with Mexico? Ottoman Empire? Or the British Empire, but i'm hesitating: lots of cities, lots of work to do, that would take the whole winter... :shifty: