1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. El Justo

El Justo Deity

update ~ 25 June

well, this is the first update i've given in quite a while. this is b/c of the testing that we were all doing and i was, for the most part, compiling a master list of all the necessary changes/tweaks. thanks to all of the testers who put in lots of time and effort.

as for the changes...many are non-asthetic, some are errors, while others are simply adjustments.

among the most visible changes:
    a significant overhaul to the sea unit stats. now, it's not as if the initial round of stat assignments were way off or anything. they were close. however, Kly came up w/ a neat and dummy-proof method of assigning HP bonuses according to total displacement size of each vessel. iirc, it was 1 HP (not a bonus but a total HP) per 2500 tons of displacement. so, a ship that weighed 5000 tons has 2 total HP (which works out to a -2 HP penalty). these types of ships are torpedo boats and smaller DDs. where this applies the most is to the large capital ships which have significant HP bonuses (some of the late-game German and British BBs have +7 or +8 HP bonuses due to their tremendous size). also considered was the effectiveness of the guns on the 'big boys'. specifically, British shells weren't as effective as German shells (for a time). lastly, the historical accuracies of the armor belt around each ship was considered (re-considered really) and adjusted accordingly.

TBs and DDs will now have an emphasis on bombardment instead of Attack strength. by this i mean that most TBs and DDs have a low bombradment # w/ a 2 RoF to simulate torpedo attacks rather than the main guns on these ships. also removed was the 'Detect Invisible' flag on all TBs & DDs. which leads me to the SSs...

all SSs have the invisible flag (same as before but now that there's no ship or unit that can 'detect' them, they're extremely potent). adjusted on the subs was the A/D values and the bombardment #s. specifically, the A/D values will be low (real low ~ like 1 or 2 A and 2 D in most cases). however, the bombardment #s have been bumped up anywhere from 5 or 7 up to 20 or 25 for the high-end German ones. iow, they will be invisible and submerged torpedo platforms.

AI city razing had been a problematic occurrence for most of us while testing. of course, there's several theories out there that can help to stunt this problem. the first is the addition of pre-placed 'phony wonders' which entices the AI into 'keeping' cities which they've conquered. another method (and one i'd never though of - Savas cafe is the one who should be credited) is adjusting the city military resistance ratios in the editor. there are a few other methods, too, like making sure there's a resource under the 'problematic' cities. it seems the AI is often more inclined to 'keep' a city if there's a good resource under it. lastly, recon1591 was kind enough to note that removing the pillage flag from various units helps alot w/ keeping razing to a minimum.

now - the issue before was that i had a devil of a time adding in more wonders and buildings into the editor w/out the game crashing. well, Savas cafe achieved quite a break trhough by being able to add in more of them w/out it crashing. when i say 'more' i mean like 140 more! yes! this is a phenomenal development as it will allow for us to place 'phony wonders' (PW) at will. as a matter of fact, some testers kept lists of which cities where getting razed during testing and we pooled our results together and came up w/ the list and Savas cafe created all of the PWs and i've just recently placed them all on the updated biq. another side product of this great breakthrough is the fact that we can adjust some of these PW's into certain naval autoproducers which could crank out smaller sea units like DDs, SSs, and some CAs and CLs maybe. you see - the AI has this thing of building the 'best buy' sea unit which is generally the larger capital ships like the BBs and BCs. so this'll help to curb the heavy balance of the capital ships and will serve to 'diversify' both AI fleets and human controlled ones.

one of the final things to do was to curb the problem of pollution on tiles which aren't able to be passed (ie mountain tiles). it was becoming a problem when pollution would crop up on these tiles and no unit was able to clean it up. as a result, i changed the 'Volcano' tile gfx to the mountain gfx and plugged these impassablae tiles in for gameplay reasons (ie to block trade routes and resources from getting to 'unwanted' locations). i did this last night and it appears to be working...

outside of this, all seems to be right on track. turn times are ridiculously fast. much faster than TCW turns which is rather impressive. and this is on a bunk PC like the one i have. so this is great news.

a few adjustments were made to enhance the AI into better methods of shipping her 'raw materials' back home. it looks like we've achieved a 15% improvement in this area (according to Savas cafe's numbers).

naval battles were all very active as the AI did indeed build a good amount of sea units in all of our tests. so this is also great news as the whole premise of the mod is to be a superior naval scenario.

i may add a unit or 2 into the unit lines of certain civs. upon closer inspection, we have determined that there could be some added into the mix. nothing drastic though.

the music files are finished also. it's not nearly as comprehensive as i'd like but it should be ok. i mean, i can always revisit it if i ever had the ballz to trouble-shoot it. what i had originally envisioned was a folder for each era. this way, each song would be 'time specific'.

few may realize it but there will be lots of SOE units in AoI v3.0. mostly sea units but some others mixed in as well like infantry and arty pieces. they all look marvelous in-game, too.

i had wanted to see how Ares de Borg's w-i-p terrain looks but i'll have to wait until he finishes it up.

a final note:
    this revision is by far the most extensive civ project that i've ever done. it makes TCW development look like grade shcool in comparison. that's no knock on my beloved TCW mind you. instead, it is the product of working on the AoI refit since last November!

i think that's it for now...i hope to post more info as time permits.

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

very good :D

yea - the tech tree for the old version is pretty beat imo.

not sure exactly when testing will conclude. not long though...

3. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

4. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Quite impressive, my good man. Stats reflecting ship characteristics is a very good rendering.

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

ok - so i've finished w/ the sea unit revisions. they will have to be tested though. refer to my previous update post for the specifics...

anyhow, i attach a screenie of my witty Greek friend's excellent work of adding in all of those 'phony wonders' (and the generic civilopedia entry!) nice work mate!

6. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Good work on the trick wonders! El J, either you or Ted are going to have to send me a revised CivP so that I can keep up with the changes.

7. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Well, all good, but it is indeed Königsberg (another small and minor spelling mistake).

Adler

8. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

I've just conquered America :D

Back under the royal yoke, that's how it should be :lol: But they fought well, especially the Philippines were a massacre.

I've disabled the alliances and mutual protection pact to get rid of that annoying who has declared war to whom messages. The game runs unbelievably fast then.

9. El Justo

El Justo Deity

heh - good to see you're getting some fun out of it. :lol:

if you think the turn times are fast in that version, wait'll ya get a load of them for the one that's almost ready. they dwarf any other version. and to be honest, it's probably the fastest turns i've ever seen on such a grand scale (map+units+civs). faster than the TCW turns! no kidding!

10. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Yeah, it's a good one :goodjob:

I wonder how you managed that. Was it even intentional? :)

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

well - i removed the trade routes (same as TCW) and did a few other small stuff like disabling tech stealing and a variety of other diplo stuff.

however, i'm not certain why the turns are so much faster for this new version of AoI when compared directly to those for TCW. I_batman asked me this question the other day and quite frankly, i'm not sure. i mean, just about all of the setting are identical altho-ugh the AoI map is actually larger than the TCW regular one. so i'm just not certain altogether - but i ain't sweatin' it! fast turns are fast turns! right?!

ADDIT: dude, clean out your PM box!

12. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

El J may have to change his nick from El Justo to El Rapido. :mischief:

13. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

I can attest to the speed of this thing.

I am currently testing the French and my forces are over 1100 units. The rest of the world has a pile of units as well, but the turns chug really fast. I have never approached this force in TCW and my computer would be slowing a lot.

It could be because there are a lot of wars going and the AI seems to run faster with a war going than not. The differences in TCW were noticble between no war and a war.

BTW, by 1906, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Lowlands, AH, and soon the Germans have been evicted from the continent. I have outright eliminated AH and Italy from the game. Fun, fun. :D

14. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

Like El Justo said a few posts earlier, I am totally floored with the difference in turn wait times.
    I have never seen a scenario this complex move this fast.
    I would love to see if this speed can be translated to larger maps.

15. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

In my tweaked game with no alliances, there were almost no wars going on, the AI piled up units as crazy but the game was still very fast. I don't understand it.

From my experience with TCW, if you trick the AI to build less defensive and more offensive units, the game is a bit faster. In AOI, pretty much everyone have stacked their cities with gatling guns or other machineguns, but the waiting times between turns remained very short.

I guess miracles do happen :)

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Damn, I haven't noticed it's full already :wallbash:

17. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

This mod as well as El Justo's Cold War mod are both pretty fast loaders. The wait time between turns is also minimal.

But I think that AOI is faster than TCW wrt to WTBT. After playing the TCW for over 150 turns the WTBT is over 2 minutes whereas with AOI after playing for 180 turns the WTBT is still less than 1.5 minutes.

Incredible! Good work El Justo!

Moff

18. Redman

Redman Emperor

Hi El Justo.

A question about the influence in Manchuria/China. Is it controlled by Russia or by Japan? It's an important fact in that area of the world around that time, as the Russian-Japanese war is fought in the timeline of this scenario.
    Maybe a screenie..? :drool:

Redman

19. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi Redman. China has got her own cities, the Russians have the Port Arthur-Mukden corridor, and the Japanese have Korea. it's set up so that Japan and Russia can slug it out here.

here's a screenie of my British position in Pakistan & Afghanistan. :)

20. El Justo

El Justo Deity

12 July Update

well, it's been a while since i've given an update so 'here goes:

testing is moving along nicely. we've been through a few different test versions so far and have weeded out some of the little buggies.

perhaps the greatest achievement thus far has been the addition of approximately 150 new wonders. yes! that's no typo! 150 of 'em! Savas_cafe was kind enough to muddle his way through the files and add them in w/ no adverse effects.

why so many of them? well - we're referring to them as "phony wonders" (PW) but their primary purpose is to help entice the AI into not razing cities. as per our latest rounds of testing, AI razing has been dramatically reduced (from a few dozen in prior tests down to maybe a handful [less than 3]). iow, we've achieved, i think, what we set out to do which is great news. a sidenote to this, and i've implemented this as well, is to remove the 'pillage' flag from all units at recon1591's suggestion. he claims that this helps reduce razing. every little bit helps i think...

on another front - we've also modded the VP conditions a smidge by removing the 'immobile' tag from the VP flag unit (the 'raw materials from the colonies' unit which is autopro'd by a colonial city imp and it must be shipped back to one's capital to receive the VPs). this has had a great impact on the AI as it is now much, much easier for the 'raw materials' units to be loaded onto a TR and shipped back home. iow, they do not require extra ground units to 'secure' them (think of the 'Middle Ages' c3c stock scenario w/ the 'relics').

i also spent a good deal of time revising the naval unit stats according to a rigid ship spec sysatem that Kly came up with. basicly, each ship has 1 HP for every 2500 tons of displacement. so a ship displacing 10K tons essentially has 4 total HPs. this scale has been applied across-the-board and only some minor revisions were needed from the original stats. among some of the other changes were the smaller vessels like the torpedo boats, destroyers, and subs. each now have a bombard rating whereas in the previous renditions they did not. this is to simulate the torpedo attacks. as per the latest testing, it seems to be working out nicely as there hasn't been any imbalances really.

i've also added in a few more units as per some of the testers' suggestions. among them: overseas infantry units for Russia, Austria-Hungary, and the US. 2 more CVs (1 each for Germany and Japan) and a Germany-only air unit (Zeppelin).

turn times are still rediculously fast. as a matter of fact, i had a cfc buddy ask me why the turns were so damn fast, especially in comparison to TCW. i couldn't give him a good answer i think :lol: but my first line of thought is that it is b/c of the lack of alliances. i mean, the base set-up for the 2 scenarios are pretty much identical to one another (no air or sea trade, no tech stealing) excpet for the alliances (TCW has locked alliances for understandable reasons). so i guess i'll leave it at that - the time in between turns, even 100, 200 turns in, remains at or around 2 minutes or so. it's almost too good to be true!

the naval activities have still been fairly positive. by this i mean that the AI is often replenishing her fleets. this is good news. we have, however, noticed that if the AI has a coastal city which can build vet sea units that the AI will focus more on building sea units. as such, we've pre-placed a few 'Naval Bases' (allows for vet sea units) and have observed a nice spike in AI naval builds. so, keeping w/ the theme that AoI v3.0 will be the naval mod of all naval mods...i can say that we're quite pleased so far.

that's it for now - my next round of work will be to begin to gather the core game aspects into a neat and tidy set of notes so that i can post them w/in the first few posts of the thread. things like VP conditions, game mechanics, and other useful info that the human player should now about.