SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

I am still playing as japan and i am not sure how to go about attacking the Russians. I have adv. trenchworks on every tile on the border with a railroad underneath, so the Russians will have to stop of one turn there. I also have 33 mountain guns in Hamhung with 11 Japanese infantry with 10 Japanese cavalry with 8 maxim guns. In Seoul i have 2 Japanese infantry there with 6 maxim guns, and in Pusan i have a maxim gun and 2 Japanese infantry. The Russians are at war with the Germans, and i know I should let the Russians attack and when they land in the adv. trenchworks i should bombard them, then attack then, and then pull back into the city. should i move some of the maxim guns into the adv. trenchworks and also into the one with a trench garrison? I am halfway through the Japanese SG game and i don't want to just skip around looking for it.

Russia is also at war with Britain, but the British lose every ship they send against Russia, and the Russian navy in the pacific is at least 20.

I am still playing as japan and i am not sure how to go about attacking the Russians. I have adv. trenchworks on every tile on the border with a railroad underneath, so the Russians will have to stop of one turn there. I also have 33 mountain guns in Hamhung with 11 Japanese infantry with 10 Japanese cavalry with 8 maxim guns. In Seoul i have 2 Japanese infantry there with 6 maxim guns, and in Pusan i have a maxim gun and 2 Japanese infantry. The Russians are at war with the Germans, and i know I should let the Russians attack and when they land in the adv. trenchworks i should bombard them, then attack then, and then pull back into the city. should i move some of the maxim guns into the adv. trenchworks and also into the one with a trench garrison? I am halfway through the Japanese SG game and i don't want to just skip around looking for it.

I would think that being at war with germany the russian army is busy elsewhere. Now is the perfect time to strike! I would not worry about them attacking you with ground units, just heavily garrison your cities with maybe 2MG and 4 infantry, then attack with everything else. Try to move along hills on your way to their cities, if your defense is high enough, they will probably ignore you and go kill germans who are on worse terrain. I probably would have gone with more like 40-50 guns, but I like to play it safe.

Use your navy to bombard their coastal cities and units! As japan, your artillery isn't that great, but you navy is as good as anyone. Also, when engaging their navy, do not attack their units, use bombard. All your ships have lethal bombard so you can kill them without taking damage.

@maidaniuc
the advice creamchesse posted is very good :)

@Nimitz96
atm, i leaning towards allowing all nations to 'capture' those African wonders that spawn the askari troops. there are exceptions though like the Foreign Legion and the South African one. but the native troops aside from S Africa should be up for grabs.

haven't posted an update in a while. been real busy w/ real life stuff lately but i've been chipping away, slowly.

set up a test grounds biq to see how the AI would handle arty w/ greater bombardment range and the blitz tag (tried a variety of settings, actually). no go. did not see and real difference from what we're accustomed to (ie practically nill AI arty behaviors). i've officially put the idea to bed. was a reach for me to begin with but i wanted to see for my own eyes (and per AoI settings) and what i saw ain't convincing :)

been adding in some of the wonderful ships that tom2050 has been pumping out. it's like he's taken a to-do list of sea units for AoI. i strongly urge all AoI peeps to check out his shipyard thread in the units forum. it's like christmas morning, really :cool:

will try to test the barbarian/rebel faction idea in short time. gonna need some moderate testing to get it right it seems. ran some prelim tests and got so-so results. this is going to take a little time though. however, this is probably the last hurdle for gameplay stuff before i start to test in earnest. i starting to think that this new version will be v5 since it will have so many tweaks.

considering adding to the soundtrack as well, conditions permitting. very cumbersome adding in custom music. so it will be a play it by ear thing, literally :D

Nice. Shame about the artillery, but stuff looks like it's really moving along. Can you show a list of the planned ships you're adding in, or are you simply adding in every one Tom makes? By the way, will music change through eras in the new version,like classical in the first era moving into jazz in the last?

@maidaniuc
the advice creamchesse posted is very good :)

@Nimitz96
atm, i leaning towards allowing all nations to 'capture' those African wonders that spawn the askari troops. there are exceptions though like the Foreign Legion and the South African one. but the native troops aside from S Africa should be up for grabs.

haven't posted an update in a while. been real busy w/ real life stuff lately but i've been chipping away, slowly.

set up a test grounds biq to see how the AI would handle arty w/ greater bombardment range and the blitz tag (tried a variety of settings, actually). no go. did not see and real difference from what we're accustomed to (ie practically nill AI arty behaviors). i've officially put the idea to bed. was a reach for me to begin with but i wanted to see for my own eyes (and per AoI settings) and what i saw ain't convincing :)

been adding in some of the wonderful ships that tom2050 has been pumping out. it's like he's taken a to-do list of sea units for AoI. i strongly urge all AoI peeps to check out his shipyard thread in the units forum. it's like christmas morning, really :cool:

will try to test the barbarian/rebel faction idea in short time. gonna need some moderate testing to get it right it seems. ran some prelim tests and got so-so results. this is going to take a little time though. however, this is probably the last hurdle for gameplay stuff before i start to test in earnest. i starting to think that this new version will be v5 since it will have so many tweaks.

considering adding to the soundtrack as well, conditions permitting. very cumbersome adding in custom music. so it will be a play it by ear thing, literally :D

How did you set up the artillery then.
Did you tick Offensive ?

Anyone understand how the AI determines who the most powerful nation is in a game? On turn one I got the popup about the most powerful and it listed Argentina as the top dog? Given that the units are placed at the start, I would have expected it to be England, France or Russia.

Maybe Germany or even the US. Anyone other than one of the South American countries, not noted for being a super powers.

Anyone understand how the AI determines who the most powerful nation is in a game? On turn one I got the popup about the most powerful and it listed Argentina as the top dog? Given that the units are placed at the start, I would have expected it to be England, France or Russia.

Maybe Germany or even the US. Anyone other than one of the South American countries, not noted for being a super powers.

That sounds pretty strange, but I think "most powerful" is based on the power graph maybe?

Perhaps everyone had been expending their units against each other all game and Argentina had not, and thus had a bigger military than everyone else?

Money plays into it, IIRC, and some of the smaller countries get ... an awful lot of cash ... sometimes. "Awful lot" as in "ridiculously huge numbers."

It probably is gold. I recall in 3.0 one country got hundreds of thousands in a few turns. I think it was like Siam with 2 towns.

Did they remove the resource that allowed you to get a worker once every so many turns? I could not find any info about wokrers. Nothing that said you cannot build them or like in CCM a tech late in the tree lets you.

I see they do not allow chops either. I guess someone was a fan of Stern as I see his side kick in the pedia for tree chops.

I seem to recall that colonial towns could make some form of a worker in 3.0.

no chopping trees or clearing wetlands in AoI. we did not want for the map to be altered with packs of workers going nuts with their axes.

Babba Booey is indeed Howard Stern's sidekick and producer. he is radio gold :)

workers can be built in the colonies but at a much reduced work rate. Civil Engineers are spawned by the Capital building, once every 13 turns iirc. this should be in the civp entries for the units and the building.

@cemo
yes, i tried a variety of settings with the offense flag checked. nada. was a leap for me to begin with by even experimenting and considering alterations. however, due diligence as they say.

@Bengal Tiger
i've only put in the ships that are spot-on or the class of ship that was actually missing. test biq shows 14 different class types with his new gfx. some are repeats and most are the actual class. iirc, i swapped out the protected cruiser gfx for one of tom's PCs. much better gfx than the v4.0, and those were actually cleaned up during the last revision (some glitches in the flc files that V smoothed out).

been super, super busy with a variety of difficult RL stuff as of late. so not much more to report outside of the list i've compiled for possible colonial 'barbarian' tribes. already tested the cuban and filipino units in the 'barb/rebel' mode. needs some tweaks. next tribe i want to put in is the Mahdist faction in Sudan. there are others in Africa and some in Indonesia too. feel free to discuss colonial conflicts of this nature and i'll put suggestions against my notes :D

one option i'm considering in connection with the 'rebel' units is a small wonder called something like "Counter-Insurgency Plan". thus the a/d values for the pre-placed 'rebel' units could be substantial, at least in d values. so substantial that it would be almost fruitless to launch attacks against these preplaced 'rebel' units...until one could build that sm wonder that doubles combat strength against barbs. now, i'm not completely sold on this idea but if it would work, it could enable a prolonged/protracted engagement against these rebel units. trick would be when to allow for the sm wonder to be built. almost all of the conflicts i have in my notes are first era for AoI. so that is a starting point, i think. please discuss. i would like some feedback on these 'rebel' ideas. thanks all :cool:

I just packed in for the night, so I cannot look it up right now. I looked for workers in units and it had actions and adv actions.

I scanned the tech tree and found nothing that looked like worker stuff. I will have to triple checked the colonial towns again.

The tech tree looks a lot different that I recall 3.0, but that could just be my old age. Can't seem to recall anything, unless it was at least 20 years ago. Would not be so bad, but I also cannot recall things that happen 50 years ago. At least she who must be obeyed only has known me for 47 years or I would hear about those days too.

@el justo
have you listened to the boba booey roast? its comedy gold.

I've been looking into a way to stimulate commerce using the raw material method in my new scenario to keep hormuz a strategic area while still being able to place many vp locations and it got me thinking about this scenario. I was thinking that the raw material would still be produced in the colonies but would need the industry resource to upgrade to a finished product. you would then need to place the vp locations in the colonies and then have the finished products get cashed in at certain colonial locations. This would increase the importance of certain colonial cities. The raw material could be upgraded at manufacturing plants so arty and ship units cant be upgraded in the colonies.
I've always wanted to see a university and manufacturing building made available to the south american civs and china so they dont fall so far behind the colonial civs mid game.

Is it just me, I think the Domestic Advisor's smile is a bit scary. Worse she reminds me of my ex's roommate.

I could not find anything in the pedia about tech trading. It seems to not be allowed, but I could not see anything in Concepts about it.

no tech trading either. it's out to speed up turn times. seems that the AI 'thinks' a lot about techs and theft and things of the sort.

diplo people are sort of a spoof. i realize that isn't really what my stuff is known for :) however, just having a little fun at that moment (and on a whim that V laughed good and hard when i presented the idea to him) :D one of them is actually me :cool: and the other actual human is V :cool: another one is V's son :lol: i kid you not :D

@Bengal Tiger
forgot to mention that i will probably just keep the music format as is. i know it would be neat to set it for era specific tunes. i actually tried it a long while ago and had some trouble getting it to all run properly. so i went with the straight music list. would like to add some others into the mix but that will probably be the very last thing i tinker with.

@eazy
yes, i have heard the booey roast before. awesome stuff. neat ideas you have there. i don't want to alter the core gameplay too much though. just looking to add some wrinkles and/or polish.

Let me ask you about the rationale for no jungle cutting. It is not like we will have lots of workers for these task.

I know you are concerned about turn times, I am not. I have to doubt that many players who cry about big games times are canidates for a scenario like this anyway.

I wish I could remember 3.0 better, was Central America blocked in that version? I seem to think I was able to invade without ships, but the canal blocked access to South America. I do recall the town that was blocked by mountains on all sides, but is open now on one side. I think it required me to land units to take it in 3.

My vision is not so good and I did not realize that Mexico had a VP location, two actually, that looked like some kind of trench. I let England sit on it for a few turns, till I realized they were getting points. I thought they were heading to their towns in Central America. lol

workers can be built in the colonial locations. so there can be an accumulation of them in jungled areas. sure, they don't litter the map but there's surely enough there to stack and chop large swaths of the map. plus, it's a little ahistorical to alter portions of the globe like that. i mean, each tile represents hundred and hundreds of square miles.

turn times are pretty important, to me at least. one can always flip tech trading on or allow for tech stealing.

panama was 'open' in v3 iirc. by that i mean that there was an open sea tile separating central america from s america thus allowing for free transit through the isthmus. we changed it in 4.0 and sealed it up. canal itself wasn't opened until 1917 i think. so this was the rationale.

A better reason to close it was the AI would run so many ships through the area and I would sink them all. I understand the historical, but that really is shot down with Civ. I mean, USA must go to war with England and that was not historical.

It is your scenario though, but to me I would provide the setup to match history and then let the players decide how close they wish to stick to the history. If they want to chop trees or clear jungle so be it.

I prefer to not change anyone scenario to suite my needs. I want to be able to see it the way it was made and then decide how I feel about it.

Top Bottom