1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario: American Civil War (18611865)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Cimbri, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Maimonides

Maimonides Emperor

Keep up the good work, Cimbri! This looks fantastic!:goodjob: I definitely want to play this one when it's ready.

2. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

I'm toying around with it now. Maybe it'll work.

3. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Well?

*Not in-game shot

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe it's not too bad. Still, I'd like to resize them without loosing to much detail on the model.

4. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Those are nice looking. Any chance that some of those could be converted into Civ units?

5. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Looking good Cimbri. You're right on resizing them though. There may be some overlap when units get too close to each other.

6. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Well, here is a unit in-game. I resized it 75% and put three of them into the white box.

Still, they look a bit awkward. And frankly a bit boring. I had an idea to include some little icon animation that showed if they were moving, shooting, fortifying, cheering, idle, or dying, but it got a bit crowded... and a static unit will have to look really good to make up for the lack of proper animations.

I think I'll just have to go back to the vanilla riflemen.

7. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

These look really good at this size. I also like the way you have three soldiers inside the unit card along with the Nato symbols. One gets a real sense that these units represent brigades, regiments, etc.

Although I really like these and don't think they're boring (personal taste) I do realize I'm in a very small minority on this and understand reverting back to the standard C3C animated units.

8. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

If they did not have the white background, they would probably look better IMO. But using static pictures I think works best in an all out Card unit type scenario. Are there no other units that would fit in with this time period besides the vanilla riflemen. Even if a unit is close to looking the same would work well enough. Using that pic you posted, I will browse the database and see if any units could potential be used.

Tom

9. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

I might go with unit cards for infantry and artillery, after some thought. Aaglo made som awesome ACW guns, but I still need a 19th century mortar. And if I use cards for infantry, units like the Stonewall Brigade, the Iron Brigade, US Regular Infantry, and the four types of buildable volunteer infantry for the Rebs and the Feds can actually look different. like I said, 19 units are currently using the same rifleman graphics (some of them are intended to use the same graphics though) and 11 of those are buildable. It is sort of a shame to see African-American Union troops, Regular Infantry, and Volunteer Infantry using the same graphics.

Eric_A and Wyrmshadow made some great looking ships and I could never dream of making this scenario without them, so the sea units will remain animated.

10. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Okay, Moff and Tom, I guess I'll experiment with unit cards when I get home. :)

What should a good unit card include?

• NATO symbol?
    • Icon for action? Shooting, moving, idle?
    • Unit picture? One soldier/a pair of soldiers?
    • National flag?
    • Box with background, white for all or blue for Union and grey for Rebs?

11. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Glad to hear you're giving unit cards a second thought! :)

Here's my take on your questions; Definitely include a NATO symbol in there somewhere as I think it helps to get a feel for the size of the unit in question.

I like the idea of an icon for shooting and moving. Maybe a little explosion sprite in the direction of combat and an arrow pointing in the direction of movement?

Like the pair of soldiers or maybe even three to give the impression of a large body of troops.

National, state, or regimental/divisional flag maybe?

Definitely a light blue background for the Union and grey for the Rebs. Both with no box in the background. Try with and without a box but I'm thinking that a background box may take the eye away from the unit portrait.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

12. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Hmm, it's not easy to make a unit picture + regiment combo. It looks too crowded.

These units are strictly NATO symbol units. Militia (company) and Volunteers (regiments).

What do you guys think of these?

Cavalry, artillery, and brigade units will follow.

13. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

I am not too pleased with the static units, but they will have to do. I might make a version with the vanilla riflemen for those who dislike static units. :)

14. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Nice work! You know what would really be cool? Keep the flc as the NATO symbol but have the LG.pcx and SM.pcx display a single soldier icon. Best of both worlds that way? Admittedly still just a static unit but at least the in map view would be of a symbol and the unit preview in the build queue and lower right info screen on map would display a soldier, cavalry, or gun unit.

I know it probably would involve a lot of extra work but having two scenario versions available would be nice. One for the animated unit lovers and one for the static unit lovers. Even if ultimately you decide to 86 the static units altogether, I think the work you've done so far goes a long way to show that static units are a nice alternative for those who like that sort of thing. Might even inspire other unit makers out there or even myself. :D

15. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

That's the plan. The pedia will feature the pictures you posted from aacw.

You know what, for you Moff Jerjerrod, I'll make static units. And I'm sure someone else might like them to. Not too much extra work in making two versions. It's only the units that will look different. :)

...besides, they're not too bad looking.

16. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Nice! Thanks I look forward to that. I could even try to convert some of the source material into LG.pcx and SM.pcx format if you like.

17. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

That would be sweet. Could save me some time. Oh, and look here, I have made brigade and artillery (grey) units too, now.

18. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

That is really starting to look nice. Those units look good on the Civ3 map style. I'm seeing some other nice touches in there as well.

I hadn't really paid attention before but with those unit icons in there now and the way you've drawn the map it is very easy to get confused between an actual military map of the area and C3C. lol

19. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

I'm working on a little box underneath the main unit box. In the new box there will be a tiny icon indicating whether the unit is regular infantry, militia, garrison, and so on. Before that, the unit just had company, battalion, and regiment pins to indicate what type of (for instance) infantry unit it was. The little box will also change to fortified or victory animation when those actions occur. :)

20. Cimbri

Cimbri Deity

Oh, and should the unit "blink" when at default animation?