SCENARIO: Arab-Israeli War of ‘48

Mr Black

Los Zetas
Conquests ONLY!!!

Following the defeat of the Ottoman Empire in World War I, the League of Nations granted the British a mandate over the former Ottoman possession of Palestine. This area was the target of Zionist aspirations for a Jewish homeland or state, and thus it saw a large influx of Jewish immigrants escaping persecution in Europe and with them capital. The immigrants, the ruling British, and the Arabs came into conflict many times during the Mandate. By the early 1940’s many surrounding Arab nations had emerged from French and British colonial rule and in 1945, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Transjordan, and Yemen formed the Arab League to coordinate policy between the Arab states.

Exhausted by WWII, Britain sought to reassess its position and policy in Palestine and other locations in the mid-1940s. After efforts to negotiate with the Arabs and the Zionists, the British government referred the Palestine issue to the United Nations in February 1947. After extensive evaluation of the situation, the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine (UNSCOP) proposed that the territory of the British mandate west of the Jordan River be partitioned into Jewish and Arab states with Jerusalem under international control.

On November 29, 1947, the United Nations General Assembly approved a plan, which partitioned the British Mandate of Palestine into two states: one Jewish and one Arab. Each state would be composed of three major sections, linked by extraterritorial crossroads, plus an Arab enclave at Jaffa. The Greater Jerusalem area would fall under international control. Both Jews and Arabs criticized aspects of the plan. The Jewish population largely welcomed the plan, but the Arab leadership and some Jewish opposition groups rejected it.

Right after the UN partition plan was approved, heavy fighting broke out in Palestine. The British representatives, having no desire to maintain order and their force waning, effectively left the Jews and Arabs alone to fight between themselves. During the next six months, most of the fighting was be made using guerrilla tactics, small Arab and Jewish forces conducting brief gunfights at various spots, without achieving any territorial goal but for the protection of the de-facto limits.

On May 13, 1948 the Arab League met and agreed to send regular troops into Palestine when the Mandate expired. On May 14, 1948 the British Mandate expired. The State of Israel declared itself as an independent nation and the Arab armies attacked from all sides.

----------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! This scenario was designed at Monarch level. Regent and below, may result in an unbalanced game.

CREDITS, ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
Sprincus – Flags
Drift - .fcl’s
Files - Pawel
Unit Creators: (I’ll eventually figure out who made all of these units.)
FT17 –created by
Me-110 - created by
Mujahidin - created by Ekmek
osa – created by wyrmshadow
renaultft17 – created by
shershen – created by wyrmshadow

April 24, 2004 - Upgraded to...
This is version 0.3

Download the Arab-Israeli War of ‘48 scenario here.
Download FULL SCENARIO: AIW (2.9Mb)

WWII Units from PTW are also needed
American Rifleman
Russian Rifleman
F4F Wildcat
Italian Rifleman
British Rifleman
T-34
Churchill

New in version 0.3
1. Palestine no longer locked allied with the Arab League, but still at war with Israel of course.
2. All flags are now working!!!

There are three versions of the scenario in here. Reasons why are explained in the next post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• aiw.jpg
    aiw.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,453
AIW Versions

There are 3 versions, which you can play. It’s just to help make the AI more competitive.

AIW-MP
This version represents the Arab-Israeli War in its truest form.

AIW-Arab
1) Israel begins with 8 extra Haganah.
2) All Arab Guerillas are NOT ‘Invisible’.

AIW-Israel
1) Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, and Syria all have 2 extra Tank units.
2) Northern Egyptian forces start near the city of Gaza. (much closer)
3) Battlefield Medicine tech and Small Wonder given to all Arab nations.
4) Here, the Arab League is a coalition. For scoring purposes.
5) All Israeli Guerillas are NOT ‘Invisible’.

Scenario Information

This scenario is 33 turns only, each turn represents a week. The scenario begins on May 14, 1948 when Israel declared itself an independent state. It runs through the end of ‘Operation AYIN’ on January 7, 1949. By this time most of the heavy fighting had ended and the Arabs were just looking for a way to save face.

Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Palestine all begin in a locked alliance against Israel. The Iraqi forces in this scenario are part of the Jordanians. The Iraqis begin in the city of Irbid, where every 4 turns a new Iraqi Infantry will appear. Israel will skip it’s first turn.

Winning is based on VP points, or by eliminating your rival’s King units. Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria all have their 3 Kings in their capitals. Israel and Palestine have 4 Kings and they are all spread out.

In this scenario, as in real life, the Arabs will not be able to improve their militaries through discovering of techs. All of their units are available from the start. The Israelis begin with only Infantry and Guerrilla units, but will be able to subsequently receive Tank, Fighter, Artillery units with the discovery of various techs.

Units in the Game

Units used by Israel:
Ghafir (immobile)
Lohamei Herut Yisrael (starting units, can’t be built) >upgrades to< Zeva Haganah Le-Yisrael
Irgun Zeva'i Le'umi (starting units, can’t be built) >upgrades to< Zeva Haganah Le-Yisrael
Haganah >upgrades to< Zeva Haganah Le-Yisrael
Mitnadvei Chutz L'Aretz (can’t be built, but appear in Tel Aviv-Yafo every 4 turns.)
Hotchkiss H-39
Napoleonchiks
M5-AA
Avia S-199 >upgrades to< Spitfire
Patrol Boat
Ma’oz

Units used by Jordan:
Arab Militia (immobile)
Arab Legion
Marmon-Herrington Mk IVF
Artillery
Iraqi Infantry (can’t be built, but appear in Irbid every 4 turns.)
Al Quds Relief Force (can’t be built, but appear in Amman every 8 turns.)
Hawker Fury F.Mk. 1
Flak

Units used by Egypt:
Arab Militia (immobile)
Egyptian Infantry
Mk IV
Artillery
Saudi Arabia Infantry (can’t be built, but appear in Ismailia every 8 turns.)
Muslim Brotherhood (can’t be built, but appear in Al Qahira every 6 turns.)
Spitfire V
Flak

Units used by Palestine:
Faza’a Militia (immobile)
Army of Salvation
Najada/ Futuwa (can’t be built, but appear in Gaza, Hebron, Jericho every 6 turns.)
Arab Liberation Army (can’t be built, but appear in Jericho every 5 turns.)

Units used by Syria:
Arab Militia (immobile)
Syrian Infantry
Renault R-35
Artillery
AT-6 Texan

Units used by Lebanon:
Arab Militia (immobile)
Lebanese Infantry
FT-17 Tank
Artillery
Patrol Boat

Attachments

• aiw03.jpg
    aiw03.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,818
One last final screeny showing the "Old City" represented by the nice ruin graphic.

Attachments

• aiw02.jpg
    aiw02.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,842
Doesn't work for multiplayer for me. The single player game looks good, haven't really spent a lot of time on it. But when I try to load it as multiplayer, I get the same problem almost every scenario posted here has. As soon as the game is loading and it gets to the "assigning colors" part, the game locks up and I have to ctrl-alt-del and close C3C. Need to fix that and this looks like a really fun scenario.

What type of multi-player game were you trying to load???

I only played a multi-player game using Hotseat. Anyways, I'll try to figure out the problem. :)

I tried to load the game doing PBEM. When I got to the set up screen, it wouldn't even let me input my own name. It gave me the Iraseli name. Yes, I loaded the MP version and not the AI version. I entered my two friends as the next two players, hit the launch button, and it froze. Most of the scenarios here freeze at the same place, I don't know what it is.

Looks interesting indeed! :goodjob:

As to the flag problem, it is quite easy to fix. You just have to update the Pediaicons.txt file. However, since I have already done that, you can take the one I posted. :) I only left one set of old entries, the so called Small Loved Icons (CULTB), which look a little different. As they are only used for cultural victory, though, I think it does not really matter for this scenario...

Then you only have to do one more thing. The flag icons you have posted are true color (24-bit), while in order to work in civ they can only have 256 (8-bit). Otherwise things get funny.

The last point is that you have only updated the flics in the AIW-Israelv01.biq file, so the other two still have the default ones...

As to the leader (king), I wouldn't call it a bug as such. You just have selected the same icon and animation for all arab leaders in the Pediaicons.txt file... But perhaps you refer to something else?

EDIT: Since the scenario has been updated the attached file has been removed.

Im hope i will find some time to play this one. looks cool.

Originally posted by Pawel
The flag icons you have posted are true color (24-bit), while in order to work in civ they can only have 256 (8-bit). Otherwise things get funny.

Thanks for this!!! I'll get on it, as soon as I can. :goodjob:

The last point is that you have only updated the flics in the AIW-Israelv01.biq file, so the other two still have the default ones...

When I had the flag flics all in there, the game would exit out when I clicked on a text message during negotiations. (like setting up an R.O.P.) For Israel it's fine because they are not allowed to negotiate with anyone due to the locked alliance. But for the Arab nations it's a problem, so I had to put in the old leaderheads.

As to the leader (king), I wouldn't call it a bug as such. You just have selected the same icon and animation for all arab leaders in the Pediaicons.txt file... But perhaps you refer to something else?

It's actually the name of the different Kings. They all end up with the same King name, usually 'Ben-Gurion', or 'Faruk I' in the Arab version.

Well, the 24 to 8-bit conversion is not as trivial as it may seem, since if one doesn't have the right palette things look really ugly. I usually copy one of the original files and paste stuff into it. That way one automatically keeps the old palette (at least in my program). If I have to, I then edit the resulting image by hand to make it look better. But I am sure there are more efficient ways. :)

As for the other problems - I have no idea. :confused:

EDIT: I looked at spincrus' flag packs, and they seemed to be 8-bit...

this scenario is pretty cool....though don't be fooled. the egyptians, at least in the hotseat/multiplayer game i was in, were quite formidable. the production capacity of the egyptian cites is phenomenal. granted, israeli tech advances pose a statistical problem for any of the arab players, the sheer numbers were overwhelming for israel. as egypt, i took tel aviv some 15 turns into the scen. i also took two other cities near the egypt/israeli border. all in all though, this is a neat scenario...my hat is off to you mr black.

AIW version 0.2 now available!

Thanks for the feedback El Justo. :) I had all Arab units costing 20 extra shields to their corresponding Israeli units. But reading your report, it wasn’t enough. I’ve made all of them 40 extra cost now. For the Egyptians, I made them 60 extra, due to their production capabilities. This should even things out, a bit more. :)

looks good, but will israel usually win?

i also think i'll turn off the time limit, because for me i like to be able to change history.

borders are fine

im currently playing as Palestina

In the first version, Israel usually lost. But, I've increased the Arab unit cost, the help them out with the numbers.

Re: Borders
Are you talking about the exagerrated Culture???

Palestine should be quite weak, but I gave them a little extra something...something so they could hang on a bit. I just hope I didn't make them too strong.

Top Bottom