[Scenario] Earth January 1942

update on that bug from 2 posts ago:

I cannot embark that unit at all (so my theoretical workaround doesn't work)
movement is still 4 instead of 5
I'm not getting amphibious warnings on attack
but I do take a lot more damage than I should be on defense with that unit

I think it's still treating it as embarked for defense, but not for offense.

you need enough reinforcements made by cities.

If you mouseover your reinforcements/material/gold, the tooltip will tell you where it all comes from. Barracks, Military Academies, Radio thingamajig as well as you can have cities build reinforcement (men, material or money).

Depending on which nation you're playing, some are in a better position to supply their armies than others. Japan is in terrible shape, for example. I'm 55 turns in, and can barely manage to heal my units 2 per turn. It's hard fighting russia who has a LOT more tanks than me and can heal 5 per turn... makes for an interesting game!

(also, Gedemon, that's not a complaint.... don't you DARE change it :D )

v.18 is the most current as of today, but there's still the odd bug. Still, very playable.

ver 17 playing usa it said the p 40 design is available but i can not build it
i build the 2 tanks desing but i can not build the units

ver 17 playing usa it said the p 40 design is available but i can not build it
i build the 2 tanks desing but i can not build the units

it was fixed in v.18, which should be savegame compatible with v.17

v.19 will be posted *soon*, but with a complete rewrite of the project handling (internal change to fix the 1936 bug, the gameplay mechanism stay the same), it won't be savegame friendly.

Feedback playing v.17 (looking forward to trying the update in my next game)

Playing as Japan, I've taken pretty much all of Russia..... Leningrad (and Moscow and Stalingrad) and I'm starting to liberate German territory instead of claiming it for myself. The reason why I consider this of interest is because the two manufactories south of Leningrad are in german hands so the city (fully in my hands) can't use them.

Maybe japan wasn't meant to take all of Russia, but I've simply run out of targets!

I ran most of my navy up to the American coast after taking Australia/New Zealand pretty much on a whim. They had like 8-10 carriers with no planes on them (aka turkey shoot) and a bucketload of artillery. Their forces do not strike me as offensive in nature. Is there any way to motivate the American AI to mobilize in both theaters? Build stronger navies and launch invasions. Honestly, playing as Japan, I expected the Americans to be a juggernaught and they're playing like a wet noodle.

The other side of that.... Germany and Italy got spanked in Europe and Africa (read: Completely wiped out to the man) without the aid of the Americans at all. Russia and UK are lions! I love it! But...80 turns in, and there isn't a single American unit anywhere in a combat zone. Is there any concern about the balance being in favour of the allies? Shouldn't Europe be doomed without American intervention? Delicate balance, I know!

This is just feedback, change it or don't change it at your discretion.

Edit: I'd love to hear others' experiences playing axis or allies

same game, now 120 turns in...

I noticed that the UK put aircraft into a city. On that same turn I conquered that city and killed every single aircraft in it. Is this a bug or is it by design that newly re-based aircraft are vulnerable until the end of round?

The tooltip listed most of them at 75 (full) HP, they definitely had other cities within range and I am positive that they were just relocated to that city.

If it's by design, great! RAF has been giving me hell for years!

edit: Answered in europe thread. It's unintentional.

Map update, flavour:
I've noticed that most of the world wonders are in, but I did notice one missing:

Machu Picchu - Peru

Up to you if you want to add it, just thought I'd mention.

can you put back or tell me how the scout promotion
for airplanes to see at lease 5 tiles ahead
every aircraftcarrier have scouts

This is on my wish list, too.

Maybe carriers should just have a visibility of range 5?

I just made the comment to my brother, and I feel it bears repeating.

I've been wargaming for over 25 years. I've played and for the most part, do very well in tactical games of every niche. I've played every iteration of Civ and can routinely beat games on deity.

.... And this is the most challenging scenario, in any game, that I have ever played in my entire life. I've been on the razor's edge of losing this war for half the damned game! (157 turns in)

The final outcome is far from certain and I am sure it'll take another 150 turns for this to play out.

Thanks to everyone involved with this project!

I just started a game with italy and it seems that I'm not able to research the projects that are available.

I hope you guys are still working on this scenario cause it has some great potential :)

Turn 55 playing as Germany.

Incredibly easy to win. I completely dominated Russia, I didn't even use excessive air power... I just out maneuvered them on the ground at every turn.

I sent a couple of units into Africa to support the fight there and ended up rolling token UK defenses and I have taken everything up to Baghdad. I've conquered all of Russia, excepting Vladivostok and I've engaged Chinese forces in China.

Americans did deploy an Atlantic force, but nothing my meagre surface navy couldn't dispatch. I never saw any American ground force except island-hopping in the pacific. I invaded the UK around turn 45 and conquered London (not my first target) 10 turns later. (I could have invaded many, many turns earlier with the same result)

All told, great AI improvements in the destroyers... except they still ignore carriers. Cruisers and Battleships need to find their teeth.

AI embarkation simply should never occur unless the AI has air superiority. It's just too easy to attrition them down by fortifying a line and forcing them to embark to go around. Leningrad, Rostov, Suez and China are trouble-spots for this kind of AI activity.

And amphibious assault should never be attempted by units lacking the amphibious promotion.

All told, great AI improvements in the destroyers... except they still ignore carriers. Cruisers and Battleships need to find their teeth.

AI embarkation simply should never occur unless the AI has air superiority. It's just too easy to attrition them down by fortifying a line and forcing them to embark to go around. Leningrad, Rostov, Suez and China are trouble-spots for this kind of AI activity.

And amphibious assault should never be attempted by units lacking the amphibious promotion.

I know Gedemon is trying to fix the embarkation, in the 1939 scenario there is the option of making the AI only embark unless near a Ciy with a Harbor to prevent excessive embarkation. I ran into bad results with this when testing the 1936 scenario with the same feature, but this feature could easily be added to the 1942 scenario if you think it would help. I would also like to add increased embarkation (and naval movement) so US soldiers/ships can travel to europe in 2-3 turns (20 to 30 days) I'm guessing this would help the AI and the player tremendously for invading places on the other side of the world.

And there is an option in the defines1942.lua to prevent suicide from amphibious assaults just set NO_SUICIDE_ATTACK to true. However this can cause some crashes which is the reason it is turned off for now.

And I know Germany is strong (compared to many of the other nations) any suggestions on giving them more of a challenge? I've thought about increasing the Soviet army.

Incoming long post... I'll try to keep it succinct.

When the AI is left to its' devices in Europe, Germany and Italy get rolled... hard. About turn 60 or 70, it starts to collapse completely to the point of no return. If Japan doesn't come to the rescue before then, Russia can be defeated... but the UK is entrenched with so much supply and massive air power that I had to give up after turn 160. I was on Berlin's doorstep but I had stalled b/c I couldn't counter the RAF.

Conversely, when the pacific war is left to it's own and I played Germany... Japan struggles to beat China and the USA does get involved, mostly around Manila and Guadalcanal. But the naval battles are lackluster... Japanese carriers get encircled by the US but the only naval unit that seems to attack them is subs. Japanese use air power to go after destroyers and seemed to do so effectively, even though I would never have done that :D

I think ultimately, America needs to get involved in the war in Europe. They require something to draw the AI to deploy air/ground and naval ground forces from mainland US into Africa and/or Europe. I don't have a great understanding of how the AI works, but if the yanks had a city in the UK... would the AI deploy to protect it much like they do Manila in the pacific? Certainly the AI would base aircraft there, which would be a major improvement, especially with the strategic bombing/improvement pillaging that bombing causes.

The AI has been using strategic and tactical bombing and it could be an effective strategy, but only if the USAAF gets the urge to deploy there.

I know that would be a complete fiction... the Americans certainly didn't own any bases in the UK during ww2:
Spoiler :
Technically speaking the US had no bases in Britain in WW2 (a fiction that continues today), but occupied RAF bases rented under reverse Lend-Lease. In practice many of the bases were built to USAAF specification and were exclusively occupied by USAAF personnel.

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/usaf/

Can we give the AI victory conditions or objectives (namely for Canada and USA)? Would that motivate them?

It's bizarre... late war (turn 140+), I'm seeing Cuban destroyers helping out in Europe... but STILL no yanks!

Faster embarked movement might be helpful, but I'm cautious about making transports faster than naval ships. Maybe a blanket +1 speed for all seafaring ships?

how do i download this and what mods do i need? still new to this site so still not sure hoe to do stuff

Top Bottom