[Scenario] Europe 1939-1945

don't know if this is where to post bugs but playing v38 as france I took Tripoli but the city remains allied to Italy even though I have captured the city and have a unit stationed in it. so I get no zoc around the city, the city strength goes up each turn as if it is not captured (in other words the city is in no way 'owned' by france.)

I attached a screenshot since I have no idea how to imbed the .tga image.

*** edit... I poked around and think the issue is that I captured city with a foreign legion unit and they apparently can enter city but not actually capture

*** edit... I poked around and think the issue is that I captured city with a foreign legion unit and they apparently can enter city but not actually capture
true, and that should be fixed in next version :)

In both my playtrough as Italy, Germany has a difficult life on its western front, losing several city to French and England until I come to rescue them conquering Paris.

I played as France and one turn in September 1940 I lost Paris to Germany, then the game crashes.
I think it's the vichy France event but is there a way to make the event possible for me?

Hello everyone and hapy new years. I havent been playing civ 5 since some time but recently i saw a serie about the greatest tank battles a got a urge to play R.E.D. So i stumble upon something.

Playing British, 39-45 scenario and doing Firefly tank research. But after completing it the Firefly is not in the building list. The Matilda 2 is still an option to win the war tought!

Another thing. The soviet never researched the t34 it the many game I played.

not really sure if i downloaded a new version or not, i think all of my mods had to redownload because i cleared out the cache. Eitherway, just finished playing through a decent 1939 game as germany. i am still of the opinion that there needs to be much heavier advnatages given to the AI to make it competitive. An easy meatcleaver solution would be to add population to all allies cities by 2 or 3 - it'd increase unit cap and production. Additionally, soviet union needs the cost of their infantry and howitzer/fieldgun/aa turned wayyyy down, i would say as much as half. But then they absolutely need the higher unit cap, too.

Im going to tinker with the stats and see how it goes on another round of germany vs the world soon.

The problem is that if you put advantages to the allies, then it will be too easy when playing them.
I think a solution could be to have separated maps for axis and allies, and so we'll not have to equilibrate the map for both teams, and we could favorise the enemy AI on each map.

The problem is that if you put advantages to the allies, then it will be too easy when playing them.
I think a solution could be to have separated maps for axis and allies, and so we'll not have to equilibrate the map for both teams, and we could favorise the enemy AI on each map.

The enemy AI is given an advantage (on the maps I've done), just check the orders of battle in the defines, look for the lines with the AI only tag.

the AI got those units as a start bonus, except when it's allied to a human player.

The enemy AI is given an advantage (on the maps I've done), just check the orders of battle in the defines, look for the lines with the AI only tag.

the AI got those units as a start bonus, except when it's allied to a human player.

Yes I already saw this (which is very good), but Ilshur was talking about to increase the population of cities, to allow the AI to have advantage during the whole game, not only at the beginning, and in this case I'm not sure we can do this without modifying the map for each map (but I'm probably wrong).

Adding population could be scripted the same way as spawning units on the first turn, yes.

But I'd prefer to work on the AI itself.

I've commented at great length on ways i think the platform in general and the 1939-1945 map could be improved in particular. I will reiterate a couple of them here (although, in response to your last comment, i do not think they fall into the genre of 'improving the AI')

1. Extending the atlantic westward a bit, and adding some token eastern seaboard. In the historical verison, America would start as friends of the Allies, and in December 1941 would become annexed by Great Britian. Even if it was just two massive cities, NYC and Washington, D.C. - both would start the game with basically all structures. NYC would have a custom shipyard that enables it to only build "American classes" of Ships, and D.C. would have a custom Air Factory that enables it to build all classes (light, medium, heavy) of aircraft.

2. Starting in 1942, Every turn or two, infantry/armor (in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio) spawns as a convoy off the coast. Starting in February 1941, at Every 4-5 turns, a "Destroyer" convoy spawns at the bottom left of the map (as if from the panama canel), and if it makes it all the way to NYC (or Liverpool, even), then it spawns as a lend-lease Destroyer. Starting in Early 1943, every few turns, 3 distinct (Northern, Central, and Southern) groups of 'eastern' reinforcements arrives on the edge for Russia. This last one is hand and glove to their being a much higher unit cap (or eliminating the russian infantry counting as a land unit altogether), but its much needed. They need a ton more units just to prevent german armor from racing across the entirety of Russia in 15 or 20 turns.

3. (this is predicated on there being a North America) Operation Torch, Operation Overlord, and other major Allied offensives could only be buildable (researched or whatever, as an operation) in North America.

4. Add AI Bonus Population the same as AI Bonus structures. This is mostly needed in Russia, because Russia just has a total inability to 'fill it's battlespace' and it makes for the player an incredibly easy effort to envelope, cut off, and destroy

5. A reduction in mobility points for all months of December, January, February and March in all years. I have no idea how this would be coded, and if the map would have to re-update the tile changes so that the tile-bonuses/penalties could be applied, but i think it'd be a terrific feature. Maybe even a defensive bonus during the winter months.

The tricky thing would be limiting it by their location on the map, which is why the tile-thing is so handy.

6. I guess this is in the genre of AI improvements, but could it be possible for the AI to prefer to advance more in clumps of 3-5 units and not as individual units that are easily 'cutoff'? It actually seems to work out this way for naval units. AI navy's tend to be grouped quite well, with good destroyer cover that intercepts aircraft and hunts subs. It is done less apparently for land units.

I have two questions for you Gedemon :
- Did you plan to do an Operation Barbarossa project for germans ?
- concerning the AI bonus units, do the USSR receive them as soon as we play another country or only if we're playing the axis side (because in the game they're not really in the "allies team" so I was wondering) ?

Adding population could be scripted the same way as spawning units on the first turn, yes.

But I'd prefer to work on the AI itself.

Would it be as simple as adding some other bit of text to the tile-modification "similar to "Buildings = {" or "AIBuildings = {"?

I would really like to try to add a feature like this to my own script. If there is any simple coding addition, i'd be curious to learn how.

open RedFunction.lua, find

Code:
					if player:IsHuman() then -- auto-set wealth to all cities, micromanagement is allowed/encouraged, but not the default option
						city:PushOrder (OrderTypes.ORDER_MAINTAIN, GameInfo.Processes["PROCESS_WEALTH"].ID, -1, 0, false, false)
					end

replace with

Code:
					if player:IsHuman() then -- auto-set wealth to all cities, micromanagement is allowed/encouraged, but not the default option
						city:PushOrder (OrderTypes.ORDER_MAINTAIN, GameInfo.Processes["PROCESS_WEALTH"].ID, -1, 0, false, false)
					elseif not IsSameSideHuman(player) then
						city:ChangePopulation(1, true)
					end

it will add 1 pop to all cities of AI players that are against the human (change the number at will).

if you want that for all AI players, even when allied to the human, replace "elseif not IsSameSideHuman(player) then" by just "else"

I can't remember the setting about USSR, should be somewhere in the code, but I suppose I've used the same table as the one preventing DoW between allies.

code is not tested, try and report :o

that did indeed work. And if i wanted to go crazypants and, for example, add 5 population to all cities across the board, would it just be

"city:ChangePopulation(5, true)" without the logic exemptions for those allied to human player?

Im gonna try it.

Edit: did not work.

What i would like is very simple: Add 4 population to every city on the map. the number is obviously the easiest thing to change, but it'd be nice if i could add 4 to everyone and an additional 2-3 for my enemies. it'll be UNITS galore!

eidt2:
It works!

city:pushOrder (OrderTypes.ORDER_MAINTAIN, GameInfo.Processes["PROCESS_WEALTH"].ID, -1, 0, false, false)
city:ChangePopulation(3, true)
elseif not IsSameSideHuman(player) then
city:ChangePopulation(5, true)

Gives 3 to you, and 5 to everyone else. THis combined with adding basic FACTORY, BARRACKS, BANK to every city really speeds up the game nicely, helps it scale to the proper size. Looking forward to testing this later in the weekend with a full game of Germany vs the world!

Ok. Some questions about the map.

I assume you have created map with the cities yourself. What was your main guideline in adding particular city and determining the size? Can you show me the link of the original map you were working with?

Why is Tallinn size 1, for example? (And many other important cities like Rostov and Pskov).

Why is the useless Switzerland represented with 3(!) cities, slowing up the game, I assume. And other examples like this.

Do we really need all those little cities for NE Russia? You can spread culture as far as you like with your changes.

On the other hand one would expect to see the capitals of USSR republics, at least. Kishinev and Yerevan are missing. Kishinev is particularly important because after the fall of France, a guarantor of Romania's borders, Soviets peacefully annexed Bessarabia, which can only be represented by modern Chişinău. Also all the Russian Hero cities should probably make a cut.

Whats up with all the African/Middle Eastern colonies starting as city-states? Except for Libya of course. If Russia can handle all those many cities has to be a way to accomodate France and UK while still keeping them playable.

Is there any way to represent USA with bases (like Suez currently for British)? This civ could operate under special rules requiring no support, for example.

Gorky was name of Nizhny Novgorod, Soviet Union from 1932 to 1990. The map has it as Novgorod now, which is even more confusing (without Nizhny) because there is an original Novgorod in the different location (around Pskov).

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal is an essential feature which is currently missing. Just move Kiel 1 tile NW please!

In July 1939 Albania has no business being an independent city-state so Tirana needs to be just another Italian city.

Germany without Hamburg? Is it even possible? Even when they have room for 2 cities modders are going to put Berlin and Hamburg. I understand that you want to deny Germany any port in Northern Sea, but it is simply inaccurate. Bremen can disappear instead.

Playing British, 39-45 scenario and doing Firefly tank research. But after completing it the Firefly is not in the building list. The Matilda 2 is still an option to win the war tought!
Hi!

I encountered the same problem with the Firefly: finished research, but no Firefly tanks.

I had a really weird one today, and I wonder if anyone else has seen this. I can't travel through a 'friendly' country but I can through an ally or a neutral country (even if it pisses them off).

The problem was (playing as Germany) taking Norway. My paratroopers took the smaller northern cities and my invading force from the south took everything else. Last city to fall was Trondheim which promptly gave most of the remaining Norway tiles to Sweden - right up the coast. So now my southern army can't join the northern army because Sweden has one tile in the middle cutting Norway in half.

Really, really annoying! lol

Top Bottom