Scenario League Wiki Rebuild

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
There has been a bit of discussion lately about the Scenario League Wiki, and whether it should be rebuilt (I will assume on a free wiki site, though I suppose there could be some other option) or be left as is. I figure the discussion should have its own thread rather than hijacking other threads.

I'm pretty sure that, once a wiki is established, moving things is simply a matter of copying the source code tab of a page, and pasting it into the source code of the new wiki. A decent amount of work, but it might be worth it.

Why go to the trouble? Well, the wiki is completely obsolete, which is mainly an issue because it is hard to register new users, due to the outdated security methods that can't stand up to modern bots. At the moment, an existing wiki admin must get a password and email address from a new user, and manually register them. This is a bit of a hassle for everyone involved, especially since the new user doesn't know who the admins are. Its a bit inconvenient for the admin, especially since it would feel kind of like your fault if the new user decided to go and vandalise the wiki. There is a secondary issue that if you're trying to do something, the solution you look up might not apply to this wiki, since it is so old.

On the other hand, maybe infrequency of use is a justification for the current system. If little attention is paid to the wiki, perhaps we should do manual registration so that we know to keep an eye on things for a while, just in case we need to reverse changes. An open registration wiki might get vandalised an no one would notice for months. Also, if all the admins disappear, the civfanatics owners could probably make new admins.

I guess the alternate solution, then, is to have a stickied thread that lists the current admins, and the instructions for manually registering users. Then, a prospective user just PMs the admins as a group with an email address and temporary password, and is registered by whoever gets to it first.

My question is what the need really is for a new wiki. There was a great deal of discussion in the community about what should be included in the original wiki.If it were to be reestablished, a similar discussion should precede it. That community is much smaller now, and I wonder if there is really the energy to remake the thing. I don't see any volunteers at the moment, frankly.

There is apparently a group of people who are dedicated to preserving old MGE scenarios. I wish them well and I admire their enthusiasm, but I don't share their priorities. Perhaps they could strike out on their own initially, while we sort out what we want to do here.

There is also the question of access. In terms of access to the SL wiki, I think we need some degree of control over that. The process for granting it is still mysterious. You discovered the secret, but have not yet shared it. In terms of admins for the wiki, I think that they should be currently active or semi-active members of SL. Regarding scenario uploads, I agree with John. Upload them to the existing CF downloads page and link to the wiki.

There is also the question of access. In terms of access to the SL wiki, I think we need some degree of control over that. The process for granting it is still mysterious. You discovered the secret, but have not yet shared it.

In the search tool, an admin types in
Special:CreateAccount
And on that page you fill in the necessary information that you've received via PM.

CreateAccount.png

To make an admin, search
Special:Userrights
Then enter the username in the search bar on the page to bring up options.

My question is what the need really is for a new wiki. There was a great deal of discussion in the community about what should be included in the original wiki.If it were to be reestablished, a similar discussion should precede it. That community is much smaller now, and I wonder if there is really the energy to remake the thing. I don't see any volunteers at the moment, frankly.

The main reason to have a new Wiki would be that it would be easier for people to register and make changes, since we wouldn't need manual registration. It sort of prevents someone who might be interested in improving the wiki from trying it out with a few small changes or new pages. I got registered because I wanted to do something fairly substantial related to Lua. If every time I thought about the wiki I only wanted to make a minor change, I probably would never have bothered registering.

I don't know if this makes it worth the trouble of copying the information, and exactly how difficult it would be to transfer everything over.

I think of the Scenario League Wiki as a place for cataloguing Civ II scenarios and documenting scenario design. Given the size of the community now, I think easier access for newcomers would be an advantage. Perhaps all that means is having a few more admins, and a specific thread for requesting access to the wiki.

There is apparently a group of people who are dedicated to preserving old MGE scenarios. I wish them well and I admire their enthusiasm, but I don't share their priorities. Perhaps they could strike out on their own initially, while we sort out what we want to do here.

I concur with the gentlemen above. If the retro guys want a place to host their collections, then there a ton of options. We have a perfectly good area here on CFC to archive the old scenarios. I'd prefer to see the CIV2 treasures hosted on an up-to-date site.

As far as I understood, @Blake00 (and any others) was just going to create pages for the scenarios that he's found, and link to the CFC download section. That seems to me like a reasonable use of the existing wiki, if he wants to go to the trouble.

If there is supposed to be some sort of minimum standard for a scenario to be allowed to be on the wiki, then maybe cataloguing old scenarios isn't an appropriate use of it, and a separate wiki should be used. However, that would require someone to act as gatekeeper, and there doesn't seem to be someone like that around at the moment.

Cheers for the tag! I hadn't seen this new thread as I was gonna take a break from the SL for bit until I'm doing more ToT related stuff, but you've brought me back lol. This might get a bit big sorry as the creative juices are flowing and I've got a lot of ideas on the subject that people can think about, vote on, laugh at, roll their eyes at, love, hate etc in the months to come haha.

I know I'm kinda sitting on the fence here but to be honest I support both directions of either sticking with the old site or moving to a new one. Although I probably lean a bit more in the direction of a new easier to use, more secure and accessible site with potential for expansion into other Civ games in separate sections (don't rage, I'll clarify that in a minute). I'm still just a SL visitor not a SL member (as I haven't done anything for you) so my vote doesn't mater so much anyway but I'll spill out some ideas here and then I guess you guys can follow @CurtSibling 's original suggestion of doing a community vote as that is a good idea to help the staff decide which direction to go in. I don't how many members are left in the SL but I'd recommend tagging all the ones you can think of here and asking for vote on old vs new wiki (@Prof. Garfield you may even be able to edit your top post above to include a vote as I think CFC supports that functionality) and sit on it for a few weeks or months to let the votes roll in. Could also maybe PM people with a link to this thread as that may trigger a email notification to inactive members to get them back (which is never a bad thing hey haha).

Old Site:
As @techumseh points out the big old site is already there, it works (mostly lol) and was built by a healthier larger community than now, its on CFC, it's downloads are on CFC (except for those broken ones I'll fix soon) and it's got all that great legacy content and guides etc. Thanks to Garfield all you guys can get access to it now and there would be a group of people who can hopefully protect it if some jerk has a sabotage party in there. However as pointed out a above there are a number of problems ie it's not very user friendly/easy to add new content to, no one's overly keen to maintain the thing, and as I pointed out the other day in my thread (& Garfield above) I think there was a "minimum standard" for scenario submissions meaning they had to be tested and reviewed by curators and who on earth here has time for that anymore! Probably none of us lol! As Curt said we're all more modders than curators. Also while I'd like to rescue a lot of stuff that doesn't mean I'm gonna finish their scenario if its broken or unbalanced haha.

However if we do go in this direction then I'll take care of the pre-ToT stuff in that if someone reports broken link to you that's not ToT related just send them my way (instead of lynching them lol) and I'll take care of it. However because the above 'tested and reviewed by a curator' concern I don't feel overly comfortable adding new stuff and 'polluting' the site with rescued but unreviewed content as it seems like I'd be ruining the 'purity' that McMonkey and others worked so hard on all those years ago. Also hesitant to deal with new submissions as I lack the time sit there error checking their work! So yeah that's probably my biggest concern with us sticking with the old site. I can put my hand up and promise you guys that I can take care of the maintenance (ie fixing broken stuff or missing stuff) of all pre-ToT content so you don't have to worry about it but I cannot promise that I can add new stuff to it continuing the 'minimum standards' our predecessors enforced as I lack the time to playtest 'full games' of scenarios.

New Site:
Straight away I personally feel it's important that the new site has all the content from the old site, we don't wanna lose any of that and all the great work they did. As others have pointed out there's great help guides there, as I've pointed out there's all the great pre-ToT stuff there, and there's of course there's all nice ToT stuff you guys are creating. One of the biggest problems with the CFC Civ2 file download area is that every era of Civ2 is all mixed in together (Poly had the same problem back in the day too). The fact that the old wiki categorizes/separates each era of Civ2 in a nice clear fashion is SO useful and definitely something that should be on the new site ensuring easy browsing and that curators can easily look after their own areas of interest instead of having to sift through the whole bloody thing.

So then comes the topic of populating those sections. It's been made extremely clear to me that you guys have no interest in any of the pre-ToT stuff which I understand and respect so obviously that stuff would not be your concern, it would be mine and maybe others but knowing my luck probably just mine haha!

As Garfield said above if we pick a good new free wiki site (sadly I have no idea what's out there and what to recommend sorry) that allows for easy copy and pasting of content then that would make the transfer process SO much easier. I've never created a brand new wiki page in my life though so I'm not an expert on this lol, but I'm guessing there's 2 ways it could be done eg if the backend wiki code is similar then copying and pasting the page code over would hopefully work. However if not then hopefully some of these more modern wiki sites support that markdown thing or whatever its called that you see on many forums, blogs and social media sites where you can literally paste a webpage of stuff into into a new area and it just converts it all (text, pics, links etc) for you in the frontend and generates all the code in the backend. Only problem with the later is that it sometimes generates a lot of garbage code relating to fonts etc. Won't know until we pick a site and experiment a bit what the easiest way can be.

Because IF it's relatively easy to bring content across then in the future when I'm more on top of my own projects I can just sit down and smash out copying & pasting over all the old stuff over into new pages over a couple of weekends. Then I can be responsible for keeping the pre-ToT areas in decent condition (ie add new rescued content, fix working links and checking what other people add to it). If we still leave the old wiki site up on CFC (maybe with some "WIKI HAS MOVED" warnings & links everywhere) and don't remove it or take it down then that means all the old working downloads can just stay as they are and we don't have to redo them all which would save an enormous amount of time, then we only have to worry about putting new content in the CFC Civ2 files area instead of having to move every old file there and relink all the scenario download links too (urgh).

But if we can't find an easy way of copying and pasting pages over and/or we have redo all the download links then yeah.. it'll be too much work (for me anyway) to bring everything across so things won't look so good for the new site and it'll just end up being a small 'bonus' repository of new ToT stuff you guys make. Which would still be a good thing I guess as right now ToT suffers from being too spread out much like pre-ToT stuff is, eg there's ToT stuff on the SL wiki, the CFC forums, the CFC downloads, Poly download backups, Catfish's site, and probably more I'm forgetting or don't know about.

Also I should point out that once I've finished my current MGE related file rescues, tribute video and mod/scenario projects I'll be switching to 'ToT mode' and working on rescues/video/mods for that. So I'll also be able to help you guys out with the ToT sections in the future a little bit too if you wish. I may have unintentionally given people here the impression that I'm some sort of hippy MGE over ToT lover which is absolutely NOT the case, I love both, and its just the fact I'm doing my videos and mod projects in chronological order (eg 2 years ago I was doing Civ1 mods & videos and once I'm done with MGE & ToT stuff this year I'll be moving on to Civ3 next!) so that's why you see me talking about MGE a lot in the forums because that's the stage I'm currently working on in my personal projects. In a few months people will probably instead be getting annoyed at me for not shutting up about ToT! :lol:

The other idea I have if we go the new wiki site route is if it has good primary and secondary category support like most do then that opens the door for future expansion into other Civ games. Once again this would NOT be of any concern to you guys. It would simply be me creating say a primary Civ3 section separate from the Civ2 one and adding rescued content there and inviting others from that community to help out and submit content to that section. I think there's genuine interest in that community as they've suffered many moves & content losses like the Civ2 community has which @Civinator can attest to. Also last year to my utter shock I discovered that around 10 years ago there was an active scenario making group for Civ1 here at CFC (yes really lol). Some of the stuff they made was super cool (eg a Dune scenario) and there's not a huge amount of scenarios there so I could easy do a Civ 1 section on the wiki too.

Layout could be something like this.. (the main welcome landing page could have nice box covers of each game):
upload_2021-3-28_17-11-33.png

Or maybe some would prefer that ToT breaks away from the chains of classic Civ2 and is treated as a separate category/entity in the series on the main landing page (much like what I've done in my rescue threads and will do in my video series):
upload_2021-3-28_17-15-19.png

An existing example of a nice layout kind of like what I'm talking about is one of the Command and Conquer wikis here:
https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_Wiki
As you can see on the main welcome page it has all the primary categories with each of the C&C and Red alert games and then when you click on one of them you get taken to all the sub categories for that game in the series (addon packs, factions, buildings, units, guides & bonus content etc).

Why is Blake thinking about doing all that extra stuff outside of the SL scope? Well firstly it would be continuing/expanding my existing work to help the other classic Civ communities outside of this one, but more importantly by covering more Civ games it attracts more curators, a larger viewing base and therefore increases the chances of cross game interest. Eg someone goes in to look at Civ3 mod, they get curious and look around the site and see the insanely awesome work the SLeague has been doing pushing ToT's boundaries and next thing you know you've got a new fan and maybe even a contributor. Similar to what @JPetroski and I were talking about elsewhere with our websites & youtubes where if you want more traffic then increasing the scope of what you cover not only brings in more people but also results in some staying to check out other content and become new fans of that.

Of course all this stuff would not be compatible if we stuck with the old wiki site as its too hard to use/expand and would resulting in too many people coming in and having full admin access which would be VERY dangerous.

Finally if download mirrors for some important content is of interest to people (should the dreaded event occur of CFC going down) then I should point out that I've already been creating download mirrors of big rescued Civ3 content over on ModDB. If some of you are unfamiliar with them, ModDB is the largest mod/scenario website on the net and has been around for 20 years now (unlike atomic, rapid, 3d downloads etc who all kicked the bucket after only a few years resulting in many scenarios lost). ModDB gets huge traffic and fully supports Civ2 eg if you look in my current mod list there you'll see some of my Civ 2 mod project pages where you can see they support free file, video & image hosting. Plus you don't even need to create a full page for the mod there as ModDB also supports straight simple generic file uploads under the master game category so any Civ2 scenario zip file can be added to their main Civ2 page with an optional 1 picture and a description (wow I hadn't noticed this but it looks like @Catfish has already put some ToT pictures and stuff there & I also notice some of @Kasius Klej 's recent MGE work in the files list there too!), which is quite similar to what happens on the CFC Civ2 download section. So anyway it's probably not really needed but nevertheless it is there if people want to have mirror download links for important scenarios and/or if they want more coverage on their work (eg @JPetroski put Over the Reich there and do up a dev diary article with some of your youtube videos embedded into the post and watch what happens mate ;) ). I was quite surprised with how much attention my silly MGE projects got, but it's a huge site with epic traffic so I guess I shouldn't have been. It does NOT make a good option for a wiki replacement through as it does not have very good list browsing and doesn't support sub categories under the game to find specific scenario types, so I'm just talking about file hosting here (as a mirror, not a replacement for CFC) and extra marketing attention for interested modders.

Upgrade CFC Civ2 file downloads section instead of a wiki:
I notice several people have suggested not bothering with any wiki for browsing mods and just simply browse the CFC Civ2 downloads area that we already use for hosting. Only problems with that are the ones I mentioned above and in the other thread which are that there's not much uniformity as everyone just puts their own ideas of what a title and description layout should be. Then there's the biggest problem of all which is that there are currently 408 files there that are a complete mix of Conflicts, FW, MGE and ToT content under limited categories. There no separation of ToT and pre-ToT content which I think is not good at all as they're not compatible which each other, and much as it might annoy some people here there's always going to be new non-ToT content going in there meaning some of your amazing ToT work will get buried in the lists quickly. None of us want that! Only problem is how the hell would we fix that??? No one has any control over anyone else's downloads there. I'm guessing even you forum moderators wouldn't have high enough access to change other peoples downloads there. Meaning we'd need a full site admin to create the separate ToT and classic Civ 2 era master download sections and subcategories under each of them, and then move each mod into their respective sections and subcategories. A huge messy job that no admin is going to want to do lol. I'd be willing to have a got at it on a later date and @Knighttime just messaged me suggesting the exact same idea and that he'd be willing to help too but we're not admins so there goes that plan lol. We could slap all the download names in a excel file and then workout and put a ToT or classic flag next to all of them in the list and send it to an admin, but once again they'd still have to one by one move stuff around which I really don't think any of them will want to do unless you guys know an admin here who's still big on Civ2 and cares about that stuff. So yeah unfortunately I don't this is a great option for categorizing and browsing mods compared to a wiki site we fully control, as it's not setup well enough and we'd never have the level of control we need to curate/manage the content.

That's everything I think. Sorry for another giant post haha, it's just the way my brain works (prob a good thing I don't drink coffee hey Curt lol), but anyway that's all my thoughts on these subjects, now don't have any more to say as its all here, plus once a decision is made I can look back on this post a plan/reference if I forget anything in the years to come. So now its up to you guys and the whole SL to band together, vote and make a decision, then I'll follow your lead and help as best as I can (especially after I finish my own projects!).

Last edited:
Eg someone goes in to look at Civ3 mod, they get curious and look around the site and see the insanely awesome work the SLeague has been doing pushing ToT's boundaries and next thing you know you've got a new fan and maybe even a contributor.

Blake00, the problem with this theory in my eyes is, that neither Civ 2 MGE nor Civ 2 ToT at present are available at GOG or steam (and even not in most stores). So Civ 3 fans according to that theory will visit that new Wiki, get curious about the wonderful work (sic!) that especially is created with ToTPP - but cannot play these wonderful scenarios, as simply Civ 2 ToT is not available to them.

Indeed, but that of course is an unfortunately general problem no matter what we do or don't do to try and increase exposure and interest of all the great work being done here. I'd wager that most people with a Civ 3 cd have a Civ 2 cd somewhere as well but probably not ToT, so yeah it's a problem.

Once I finish my classic Civ games video series I fully expect to be inundated with annoying "download link please" comments on youtube like I get on so many of my other retro game videos. My standard response is "buy a copy on ebay, and if you've got any other ideas about how to get a copy then I'm sorry I can't help you other than to say google is your friend". Assuming they have half a brain that usually seems to the solve the problem! :lol:

Jokes aside I guess an extra bonus page on the wiki under each game with legally safe advice on how to get copies of the game these days would be handy (can probably setup a direct link to an ebay search too). On my website every time I tribute a abandoned game I always include a direct link to the GoG wishlist too for good measure.

Just when I thought I'd covered everything in my war & peace novel above this reminds me of something I hadn't thought of. There's some excellent threads on these forums with guides on how to get MGE & ToT working on modern operating systems with the fan patches. That sort of thing would make some good bonus help pages on the wiki too (under their respective sections). Because of the predicted above problem on YouTube I was already planning on writing up some guides to help people so there's no reason why I can't copy them into a future wiki page too hey. :) Just a matter of sitting there thinking okay I'm new lurking fan, I've just seen some footage of Over the Reich and omg do I wanna play that on my brand new windows 10 laptop with no cd drive and no copy of ToT. What are all the barriers between me and playing that scenario? Every solution we think of can go into a help page. I had to write one up the other day telling people how to acquire Civ1 for Windows, play it with dos graphics, in HD resolution, with high quality modded music, all inside a virtual machine! So telling people how to acquire a copy of ToT & install ToTPP is a breeze compared to that. :lol:

NOTE: I own a physical copy of ToT and still prefer to use Windows 7 so it was easy for me though.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they don't just throw a copy on steam. This game is literally capable of a quick copy and paste (without music) and surely the tracks aren't an issue to add in in 2021.

I don't understand why they don't just throw a copy on steam. This game is literally capable of a quick copy and paste (without music) and surely the tracks aren't an issue to add in in 2021.

Perhaps they don't know that cut and paste is sufficient (and, so, they could presumably write their own installation script). If I were scouting for old games and saw Catfish's TOT installation guide, I'd probably decide that it wouldn't be worth the trouble with all the technical support that would have to be provided.

Maybe what we need then is to first demonstrate a cut and paste installation on a fresh installation of Windows 10, and then write a nice letter to GoG and/or Steam explaining that the cut and paste installation will work for test of time, and that we'd be happy to help them beta test the version of the game they end up packaging. I suppose that if the package included TOTPP (which would at least solve the text boxes bug, no CD, and music without cd rom), then @TheNamelessOne would have to be around to give permission.

Matrix Games has allowed forums like ours to produce/ enhance / maintain some old games and we have the horses here, I'd argue, to be able to handle tech support for them/act as the forum that does that. I'm not sure who exactly to reach out to, however.

Yeah it's silly isn't it. There are so many old windows games not on steam or GoG because they're 16bit and require a VM which is more trouble than its worth for game license holders (ie they'd have to distribute a legal retro copy of Windows 98 or XP), however MGE and ToT are 32 bit and of course the fan patches sort out the issues on 64bit machines (we've seen other studios embrace fan patches on GoG releases), so there's no excuse. They just don't care about it which sucks. There's always a chance that GoG might approach the license holder if there's enough interest on their wish lists and then if all goes well that usually leads to the license holder doing a steam release too.

At the moment Civ 2 is at 10 thousand which is pretty good, ToT is not looking so good though. So we all may as well add our votes & comments to them both (I say both because if retro Civ2's bigger vote gets noticed and something happens it opens the door for ToT next or they may just do both off the bat) and like I said above we should probably stick something up about them on the wiki in the future (even if we stick with the old one), and in other obvious places around the sites and communities we can think of to attract more votes. Wouldn't hold my breath on it though but hey more votes can't hurt, so I've added mine.
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/sid_meiers_civilization_ii_1
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/civilization_ii_test_of_time

That's a good idea about writing a letter to GoG. It would also be important to remind them that Civ2 (all eras combined as a whole) sold millions and was a huge hit. I think I used Catfish's ToT install guide 2 years ago to re-install ToT and apply ToTPP.. don't recall having any issues but the guide is a bit big & intimidating isn't it haha.

We of course face a future where they just never end up on those sites for sale. Some communities out there sick of the situation with their abandoned retro games have cleverly created all in one installers which make things so much easier. The first one that comes to my mind is another Microprose game I loved called Star Trek Birth of the Federation. A lot of 90s trek games are stuck in licensing hell as no one owns them (not even the current Trek game makers) and BOTF is no exception. That game was unstable even back in the day so its a nightmare to get working these days lol, yet fans over on the Armada Fleet Command site were able to put together an all in one installer that works on modern systems without any cd and with a built in 3rd party mod activation & downloader tool that includes higher resolution graphics. Civ2 MGE & ToT are easier to get working however they still have a lisence holder so they're not as abandoned as BOTF so I guess a very obvious and publicly available fan installer giving everyone a free copy is more risky, which is a shame.

Broadly speaking, I think there are 3 reasons that no one sells a Civ II download. Addressing one of them would make the other problems worse.

1. Upfront cost to make the game available with uncertain demand.

If the company doesn't already have a relationship with the Civilization rights holder, then they'd have to draw up contracts and whatnot.

2. Providing tech support for the game would cost more than the game is worth.

The existing installation instructions for Civ II/TOT involve using non-default installation settings (like not installing to the default suggested directory), and the use of third party software. Even when it does install "properly," it doesn't always play nice with Windows 10.

3. Directly including fan made software exposes some legal risk.

Fan patches don't typically include a license that give explicit permission to include the patch in a commercial sale of the game, so, in principle, the author could theoretically come back and sue the seller for using their work. There is also the small risk that the fan patch is a trojan horse or something.

A company willing to ignore 2 and 3 (basically saying here's a license, good luck getting it to work) probably doesn't have an existing relationship with the Civilization rights holder, so 1 is prohibitive. Steam and GoG already sell Civ III, so it would presumably be fairly cheap to license Civ II as well, but fixing 2 and 3 would push more costs into 1, for an uncertain return. Since they already sell Civ III anyway, they might figure it is good enough.

If we could fix 2 and 3 for Steam and/or GoG, then we might be able to write them a letter and convince them to put the game up.

Yup that's pretty much the situation.

Working on making Civ2 more available to the masses either legally (we try and make it easier then present something to license holder & distributors) or not so legally (we put together something easy for the fan community to pass around without getting CFC into any trouble) almost deserves it's own thread separate from this old wiki vs new wiki problem vote thread as there's much discussion to be had. Hell 'ways to show ToT SL work to a wider audience' could even have it's own thread too lol as there's plenty of ideas to kick around. When I've completed my Civ videos (which heavily showcase the best looking mods/scenarios) I plan to post them in a great many places to attract more fans but there's certainly other ways to get more interest too. Solving the distribution problem before tackling the awareness/marketing problem is best though as then there's something easy to give interested parties.

Regarding 3:
Yeah I get the feeling these companies would be hesitant to use 3rd party fan launchers that run modifications in memory or temp file patches and also modify lots of other aspects of the game (even if we feel they are important and needed). A safer bet is just applying the simple 64bit patchers that modify the original files and stops the crashes so the games will at least run in most situations on modern systems/OS's.

With that simplified strategy we'd be in a better position as @FoxAhead is still with the CFC community (therefore could be asked for permission) and he created simple 64 bit patchers for both MGE and ToT. MGE suffers from a Indeo video codec issue requiring a separate fix though.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ks-on-win10-1709-fall-creators-update.622154/
(speak of the devil, ironically someone links to a warez site copy of MGE in that thread and no one seemed to care lol)

If we wanna push the full launchers with all the extra features then things get harder...

MGE is still in a good position as the excellent Civ2UIA program is also FoxAhead's work but like I said above companies probably wouldn't wanna sell games with fan launchers that run mods in memory. Plus like above his program does NOT fix the Indeo video codec issue.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/

However ToT (which I know is more what we're talking about here) is probably in a worse position since as Garfield mentioned above the ToTPP was made by @TheNamelessOne who's been AWOL for some time now so getting permission is difficult unless someone here knows how to reach him outside of CFC? However like I said above I don't think companies would wanna sell the game with something like this anyway sadly (unless there's a way to perma apply some of it's changes to the original files so a separate launcher wouldn't be required?). On the bright side I believe ToT videos work off the bat on modern OS's though lol.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-test-of-time-patch-project.517282/

Last edited:
One thing I didn't think of yesterday.. music!

It's easy to forget as many of us probably turned it off years ago due to the endless hours we've put into the games haha. However people who buy the games on GoG or Steam are going to expect the music therefore the distributors are not going to want a copy with it missing. That's a friggin problem as while MGE & ToT can load video assets off the install folder making them transportable, they were sadly only built to play music off a cd. FoxAhead and TheNamelessOne didn't seem to try overhauling the music player (say to something that plays mp3s in a folder instead) so either they didn't think of it or it was just too darn hard to make happen without source files. I don't have any suggestions or bright ideas to solve that one in a way that a distributor would be happy with as they're not going to accept "oh just mount an iso" or "just tell users to play some mp3s or a youtube video of the songs" lol.

But then again GoG have probably faced that problem many times with classic 90s games that use cd track music and the source files are long lost, so they probably have some process to attempt to get around the problem with their own programmers/hackers if the fans haven't already done the work... but meh who knows...

EDIT: My bad! Garfield himself has created a addon to ToTPP that converts the music player to an mp3 player! Brilliant! And shame on me for missing that as I know I've read your sig in the past lol!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/totpp-custom-music-patch.650161/#post-15555342

Last edited:
That's a friggin problem as while MGE & ToT can load video assets off the install folder making them transportable, they were sadly only built to play music off a cd. FoxAhead and TheNamelessOne didn't seem to try overhauling the music player (say to something that plays mp3s in a folder instead) so either they didn't think of it or it was just too darn hard to make happen without source files.

TOTPP does have a patch to play music from mp3 files. In fact, there is a link in my signature for some lua code that will let you have a custom playlist by overwriting the mp3 files that the game draws its music from.

Back on the topic of the Scenario League Wiki, would anyone object to the following "system" for granting access?

Anyone can ask for access to the Scenario League Wiki after they've been regularly active in the Civ II forums for 60 days. This can be posting their own work, asking questions, or commenting on the work of others. We'll make it clear that access will be granted unless they've been generally rude in the forum over that time.

For our part, we'll have a thread with a list of Wiki admins, so whoever would like access can just PM five of them with the required information, and someone can give them access at their earliest opportunity.

This will require having a few people volunteer to be on the list of wiki admins, but adding new users isn't difficult as long as you have the instructions available. I think 60 days of good behaviour is an adequate filter, but isn't so long as to imply that we don't actually want new blood working on the wiki.

The list of reasons for access is too extensive. There is no reason to put questions or comments on the wiki, which should go on this forum.One possible exception is scenario reviews, which used to be more common. Approved members should have access in order to upload tangible content only, or to perform previously discussed editing.

No, I meant that questions, etc. can be part of participating in the forums for a couple months. I agree that questions and comments are not appropriate for the wiki.

I wasn't thinking of requiring someone to propose a specific change they want to make in order to be added to the wiki, but that could make sense.

I think there are 2 extremes for the wiki: "Anyone can contribute to the Scenario League Wiki" and "The Scenario League Wiki is the private club of the existing wiki users."

With the size of the user base these days, I'm inclined to think that the wiki should be closer to "anyone can contribute", but I've only used the wiki as a more convenient place for some Lua content. I don't have the decades of "membership" in the Scenario League, so you might have a different ideas.

Top Bottom