[SCENARIO + MOD] The Cold War (TCW:SF&B)

@civfanatic14

I read through your list, the "Doomsday Clock" sounds like a really neat idea, do you happen to know another mod that uses that?

TCW SF&B is now officially available for the public to enjoy!

**Note** We did most of our testing on Prince difficulty but you are welcome to enjoy whatever difficulty you want. Also the Mod/Scenario is in a RAR file so you will need WinRAR to unpack it, if you are on OSX use StuffIt to retrieve the files (google it somewhere).

To download the Mod/Scenario follow this link: TCW SF&B 1.9

None of this would have been possible without the inspirational ideas laid down by JLock and his contributors (you guys :)) So thanks everyone!

Because the soundtrack we wanted to include was too big for the initial upload, feel free to download it from this attachment. Its a soundtrack used from this site: PeaceMaker

Simply drop the folder "assets" into your mod and say yes to over write the 'assets' folder inside that directory and you'll have music for the menu. :) Happy Civ-ing!

Attachments

• Assets.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 300
Just started playing this, liking it so far. Playing as USSR, feeding units to N.Vietnam and watchting them grow. US has had enough and declared war. Has a nice pace, this is a very interesting era, that is usually overlooked in computer games. Thank you guys so much for designing this, how is 1.9 coming along?

Bob Kawalec
USA

Just started playing this, liking it so far. Playing as USSR, feeding units to N.Vietnam and watchting them grow. US has had enough and declared war. Has a nice pace, this is a very interesting era, that is usually overlooked in computer games. Thank you guys so much for designing this, how is 1.9 coming along?

Bob Kawalec
USA

Word, when me and DustBunny beta tested he usually took USSR and I the US so I can imagine its pretty fun. 1.9 is done as far as what we were aiming for so you can download it through a link in the post I made above yours (that is, if you don't already have it). I'm actually surprised this era is overlooked so much, there's a lot of dynamics in this era and I've seen it included for civ2 & 3 but the development community has been sluggish about posting it for 4. Thanks to JLocke though, we now have a fully well designed scenario/mod.

A few key items we changed from version 1.8 and earlier:

-US F15 fighter, M1A1, USMC (along with other infantry and marine units) , most of the tanks, the diesel subs, and the destroyers were way off in cost so we set up a system to make them cheap in the beginning (or more balanced in the case of the sub) and rose their cost over the course of the game so it stays in motion with your production capacity.

-Culture was another big issue, Yugoslavia and Spain where normally mauled by the end of perhaps 5 turns. So I personally sat down with these two nations and worked out a system that would buy them enough time to sustain their culture until someones influence came in to give them that ideological culture boost (Islam, Communism, Capitalism, etc.)

-West/Ost Berlin also known as East and West Berlin. Thought it was a crucial symbol to this era so I balanced the culture in Europe to include them. This proved to be very good actually cause Munich was suffering from a lack of grain to feed their population so this shift offered them some extra food tiles.

-More advanced and modern units (Modern Infantry, Mobile SAM, Mobile Artillery, etc.) has been moved farther down the tech tree and require more items so this will force the players to branch out on their science if they want the best of the best in their military.

-The space tools have also been adjusted to force the player to pan out their science research, this will delay the game longer and help the player second guess their options.

-Nuclear arsenal requires a nuclear power station! I found this to be justified since Plutonium needs to be enriched, what better way than have a building like this perform the task (at the risk of nuclear meltdown - which I've reduced its rampant likelihood of happening from the traditional game, still it'll happen...).

-More advanced arsenal will require buildings of some sort (Aircraft needs airports, infantry their barracks, tanks the factories, etc)

-One of my favorite changes is that despite upgrading to newer tanks and aircraft you still keep the original designs, for example: You start out as the USSR and you have the MiG-15 of which you eventually research and obtain the MiG-21 Interceptor Jet Tech you will then have two jets of choice to build. Granted the MiG-21 is better in performance but the MiG-15 is cheaper and a great way to distribute your arms to other nations in need. I found this especially fun when playing in pbem with DustBunny, we avoided war but maintained a very active arms race while supplying our 'client states' with arms to fight wars for us. Sometimes its brought us to the brink though, very exciting!

-And much much more! :)

***NOTE***

The game states that researching the 'Ecology' tech provides 'Scrub' but that function is NOT available in this mod, we intentionally removed it to make Nuclear Strikes and Meltdowns more deadly. The Radiation dissipates after 5 game years so they do go away eventually. This is simply an FYI if someone raises the question. We are working on trying to fix that text issue.

@civfanatic14

I read through your list, the "Doomsday Clock" sounds like a really neat idea, do you happen to know another mod that uses that?

@ayetach

I'm sorry to say that there is no other mod that has it. I only got the idea from the Rise of Nations Cold War scenario. You're going to have to come up with it yourself or ask another modder to come up with it.

To explain to everyone what it is, the Doomsday Clock in the game is going to be what is known as a new concept called a defeat condition. The doomsday clock in the game will work like the actual clock in real life, starting this time at 11:30 - this means you can launch nuclear weaponry until it gets real close to 12. This feature will make you think twice about nuclear warfare. In order for the clock to go down, two special events and the UN resolution of non-nuclear proliferation. The two special events will be SALT and Partial Test Ban Treaty - if you agree to it it lowers the clock but limits your use of nuclear weaponry. If you launch and detonate 15 (the limit) everyone loses.

@ayetach

I'm sorry to say that there is no other mod that has it. I only got the idea from the Rise of Nations Cold War scenario. You're going to have to come up with it yourself or ask another modder to come up with it.

To explain to everyone what it is, the Doomsday Clock in the game is going to be what is known as a new concept called a defeat condition. The doomsday clock in the game will work like the actual clock in real life, starting this time at 11:30 - this means you can launch nuclear weaponry until it gets real close to 12. This feature will make you think twice about nuclear warfare. In order for the clock to go down, two special events and the UN resolution of non-nuclear proliferation. The two special events will be SALT and Partial Test Ban Treaty - if you agree to it it lowers the clock but limits your use of nuclear weaponry. If you launch and detonate 15 (the limit) everyone loses.

I am familiar with what you are talking about. Great feature in Rise but I don't know if the AI is trained to understand the implications of this 'doomsday clock' idea. DustBunny is still snooping around to tie off some loose ends, if he finds anything of that nature that works we might implement it.

Just as a side note, in the past we have tried incorporating the NPT into the UN resolutions but the AIs almost every time overwhelmingly vote in favor of it, so it leaves the game without nukes. We removed that resolution since only 5 nations have the capacity to build the facilities and mine the uranium to process it into weaponized nuclear material. USA & USSR for obvious reasons, China, Israel (though Israels progress is hampered by a war so their development comes much later), and sometimes India (I say this because the Uranium that is deposited in the mountains is their only source on the border with China. Its been known that sometimes China takes control of that tile by cultural superiority or by war, but other times I've seen India as a nuclear state (definitely brings in a new dynamic to the geopolitics of the game). :D

Just got Civ 4, and immediately looked for a cold war scenario (i have Civ 2, and my favorite player made scenario was First Strike 2, which was a cold war scenario) and i like it :D But, it takes me a while to get a hold of my nuclear arsenal D: whats the fastest plausible time you could get it, if research was at max and such?

Also, has anyone started World War 3? I wanna see if the effects of nuclear war are present, like the earth warming (or cooling, or what ever). My one thing with First Strike 2 (i should warn you, i am also a fallout fan) is that after you thoroughly nuke the world, it takes at least 50 years (if not more. I stopped counting after a while. Needless to say the game longly surpassed its end date of Jan. 2000) for everything to slowly turn into on massive desert :nuke:

So is it faster in Civ4? Cause i wanna see how tough it is to rebuild society in a desert/plain world where everything is swathed in radiation :D I don't put nuclear submarines off the coast of Soviet Russia for no reason, you know. If i do, i need to perform a first strike that hits all cities, in a hope it destroys all there nukes too :3

Also, you know how there are Nuclear silo's in real life? Why not instead of having 'Forts' have nuclear silo's? Wait, never mind, you would have to transport the nuclear weapons to it somehow..

ANYWAYS, what im trying to say here is....GOOD STUFF SO FAR! :goodjob:

After tinkering a bit....This is in the 80's (82 or something. Hck, maybe its in the 70's, i dont remember! Well, its after a Full-scale nuclear strike on the USSR. I also detonated 3 warheads over Cuba, other then that..

Edit: I know its after 1972, cause thats when my little war with Vietnam, which started in like august of 1960, ended. I captured all their cities, except Hanoi which i nuked then capture. >.< Its annoying get troops all the way over there. The french don't know how to put up a fight! Anyways, im just seeing what Fallout can do, etc etc. My Actual game hasn't had any nuclear warheads used yet (but i think i have 20 ICBM's and 7 or 8 SLBM's. All the sub ones are off the coast of the USSR, and i would have ICBM's in Europe, cept you cant transport the Strategic Missile Launcher, not that you need to, cause it is an ICBM. I would just want strategic missile launchers in Europe to add to that cold war feeling, ya know?

Anyways. Look at all the pretty Fallout :3

@Fubb

Ha, enjoy.

***Patch Update: issues and game-play bugs addressed in this new revision.

The Cold War - Short, Fast, & Beautiful
Version 1.9.1 Patch

1.) Install TCW SF&B 1.9 and install.
2.) Download patch from attachment and install according to instructions.

Changes:
-Nurfed AA guns.
-Nuclear weapons are twice as powerful and twice as deadly.
-Eiffel Tower wonder altered to correct culture balancing issues in Europe.
-Made minor alterations in AI behavior.
-Now compatible with OSX!

Known Issues:
-Ecology tech states that workers can 'scrub' fallout. This is not the case, the fallout dissipates as it should over a 2 year period in the game.
-For Mac users, the mod will issue four warning windows indicating that an XML file has not loaded properly, simply press okay for each of them and allow the mod to load.
-For Mac users, sometimes the splash screen hangs when loading uncached XML data. You will need to restart the program.
-For Mac users, very occasionally the game will crash; This is very uncommon issue though.View attachment 245081

Attachments

• TCW SF&B 1.9.1 patch.zip
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 288
I downloaded it and put it in the right folders, but it doesn't work... I get an error of almost everything.

you put it in vanilla folder or bts folder? it has to be vanilla

First I put it in the BTS folder, but nothing worked so then I put it in the Vanilla folder, but when I started it, I couldn't start a game (the function "new game" didn't work and when is did "new scenario" the Cold War Map wasn't there). And if I open the map, he starts to load the mod but then it crashes and loads the map without the mod. Does anyone know what I have to do? :(

First I put it in the BTS folder, but nothing worked so then I put it in the Vanilla folder, but when I started it, I couldn't start a game (the function "new game" didn't work and when is did "new scenario" the Cold War Map wasn't there). And if I open the map, he starts to load the mod but then it crashes and loads the map without the mod. Does anyone know what I have to do? :(

@Thijssietjuh

Install Instructions:
1. Download and unpack using WinRar.
2. Place the mod folder "TCW SF&B 1.9" in the mods directory for the vanilla version of the game (for Windows it should be in the same directory as the executable files and everything else).
3. An error on my part but you can either go into that mod directory and rename "Public Maps" to "PublicMaps" or copy the .Civ4WorldBuilderSave file into your vanilla PublicMaps directory. Your choice.
4. Run the .Civ4WorldBuilderSave or load the mod through the game itself and play scenario. Enjoy :)

Be sure you have your Civ 4 up to 1.61 or higher (we tested it on 1.61) for PC and either one of the builds for the mac version of 1.61. This mod is only available for the vanilla edition if it hasn't already become apparent for you.

Hey everyone, I'm really glad the 1.9 release has been well received. Despite being for the most part done with this minor project, I have been poking at a few ideas that I still want to try out with the mod.

Strategic resources being the most focused of these ideas. I feel that the middle-east is a very important part of the cold war's proxy campaign not only for its ideological establishments but also its resources (namely oil). I know that Alaska/Texas, and the Caspian Sea/Northern coast offered oil to the superpowers but since the principle of this mod/scenario was to incorporate changes that offered a balance to historical realism and good game play mechanics, I feel that removing those resource tiles while altering the properties of how important that resource is weighed by AIs determination in trade will force the superpowers and other client states to feel more inclined to do more business with various oil states (and become more protective of their providers be it politically or militarily). Granted the value at which the AI will determine the resource is reduced the actual importance of the resource itself is still paramount to maintaining a modern and effective military. This idea would definitely make for a great twist in the ever winding nature of the scenario/mod.

Any inputs and comments are welcome regarding this matter, I would love to hear what the community has to say in regards to this. I'm also curious as to how the AI would function with these kinds of changes, if anyone has any additional information to provide it would be most welcome! :)

***1.9.2 Patch Fix***

Okay everyone, this isn't necessarily a crucial patch but it does alter a lot of aspects of game play, especially the economic side of it:

-All buildings more expensive
-Fallout shelter reduces damage from nukes 15% (down from 75%) making nuclear weapons far more deadly.
-Internet & SDI is attainable at cheaper cost (even during the mid to late game phase)
-Colonists are cheaper (more colonies)
-etc. xml changes.

Since these changes were made using 1.9.1 I recommend anyone who is installing this to patch the mod up to 1.9.1 before taking this.

Installation instructions:
1. Unzip contents.
2. Place "XML" folder inside of the assets folder of the mod.
3. Confirm overwriting the contents and play :)

Attachments

• XML.zip
    957.7 KB · Views: 229
Top Bottom