1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SCENARIO + MOD] The Cold War (TCW:SF&B)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by jlocke, May 22, 2006.

1. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

is there a way to eliminate this? 10 is hardly enough to destroy the world after all!!!

2. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

oh its ok i found it. I want to get this sub based icbm business sorted though, i will look into it.

3. TheBoatman

TheBoatman Warlord

If you want a NATO city then make it Munich, just because Austria has never been a member of NATO (their constitution was accepted by Allies and Soviets in 1955 under the condition they stay neutral). However Austria was since that time a capitalist economy, supporting more the West than the East (e.g. they accepted imigrants from Soviet countries). However, the mod is well-balanced anyway. Yesterday, I enjoyed playing for China quite a lot.

4. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

i am playing as the USSR with troops in Yugoslavia and Cuba and giving miltary equipment to Egypt and Vietnam. Im hoping to get either one to attack an US ally but thety are both too scared. (Egypt vs Isreal would be cool) Its excerllent the way there are no silly wars, although some war would be nice.

5. pacesplace

pacesplace Prince

I'm trying to get Israel and France and the UK to attack Egypt before I do, but Egypt is locked in an alliance with Breschnev.

Also, you wouldn't want to blow up the world; there would be no world left to purge of communism (I think I'd make a perfect capitalist propagandist, if only I built some of them).

6. MrManganese

MrManganese Chieftain

I'm playing it multiplayer with a friend - he's China and I'm the US. After a couple dozen turns of peaceful economic development, he decided to join Vietnam in its war with France. France asked me for assistance against the Chinese threat, and I gladly agreed.

My friend responded by calling on the Soviets for assistance; the worst thing he could've done to me. My bases in the pacific would've been completely overwhelmed, if I hadn't been hanging onto enough cash to call England, France, NATO, and Israel all to my side. My subs are engaging the Russians beneath the north pole, and I'm desperately transporting all forces at my disposal into the war zone. Spetnaz are beating the crap out of me!

7. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

Air transports are cool, im shipping 4 divisions a go to my revolutionary brothers in Vietnam. Maybe trasports should have thier movements increased given that it now takes 10 turns to reach Cuba from the USSR.

8. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

i will add more movement to some sea movements next version, Zalcron, good suggestion.
    If you want more ICBMS or SLBMS (10 of each) you can change it in the xml/units/unitclassinfo.xml
    I might change that for next version, but given that you can't actually destroy the whole world with nukes in this game, I thought more than 20 might be overkill. (you can give them to your allies and build more i think)

Today June 1 NEW VERSION 0.9!
    Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles now WORK!!!!:D
    Humvee now available for USA and Israel!

More additions visible in readme!

9. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

You're absolutely right. I changed it to Munchen.
    Speaking of which I'm thinking of adding Spain, and perhaps removing Yugoslavia(or adding it to Warsaw pact) since they only joined NATO after Franco in 1986. Finland, also was late, but only Stockholm and Oslo are included as scandanavian cities.
    How did you do as China?

10. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

I think only 2 nations can be in a locked/permanent alliance at a time. Sounds fun.

This version now has a new capitalist propaganda unit graphic.
    I really enjoy how in different games different powers make permanent alliances. Obviously, for points, USSR/China and USA/NATO would be the most powerful, but the AI doesn't always see it that way. For instance, when USSR goes with Cuba, Cuba can't be so quickly taken by the US (a serious threat if you are castro and you get into it with JFK)

11. MrManganese

MrManganese Chieftain

I can't seem to load the game from the main menu. I'm using version 9 - I tried placing the map in the public maps folder, and I tried activating the mod. I can't start a multiplayer game of this mod any more.

12. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

can u tell how u got slbms to work? as i dont want to start verison 9 yet as i am so into the game i am playing and was hoping to incoperate this. Plus does the Ai build them?

13. MISER SVM

MISER SVM Grand Procrastinator

Hi,

to be honest, I quite enjoy your scenario- it's just what I've been looking for
    (remember WW79 from Civ2 Conflicts?). Well-made, Sophisticated and detailed stuff. Especially the Middle East (despite the historical inaccuracies due to balance issues) is great! One of the more funnier experiences was that King Fahd wanted me (USSR) to convert to Islam! Reminded me of Khomeini's proposal to Gorbachev.
    There are, however, a few suggestion I have:

* You could rename religions (and their sections) to ideology. Methinks that is much more suitable. Ideas for the respective replacements:
    Islam to Political Islam
    Judaism to Israel/ Zionism (highly questionable)
    Hinduism ot Buddhism to Non-aligned Movement
    Zen Buddhism to Asian values (Spread to Taiwan, Seoul, Japan and Singapore, make Taipei the HC/ or no HC)
    You may add Political Catholicism (remember the Holy See's influence on the breakup of the Warsaw Pact) or Fascism if you're going to include Spain.

*(minor) Civs to add:
    Nicaragua (Sandinistas, late-game), Algeria (why do they have to be Barbarians, would be much more interesting), Libya, Mexico, Venezuela, Pakistan, Iraq/Baath Party, Cambodia

*Music: The Stenka Razin (?) theme is not appropriate for the Soviets, Yugoslavs and Israelis, as well as the generic "Chinese theme" for Mao. Instrumental arrangements of the Soviet anthem (Soyuz...), Israel's anthem, the Internationale, the March of the Volunteers (or even better, The East is Red: the Cultural Revolution started in 1966) would add some flavour (links are on Wikipedia). The Vietnamese and Cuban themes could be changed as well. And I think that the Marseillaise (Napoléon) is much closer to the spirit of the nationalistic De Gaulle.

*Historical issues:
    Sino-Soviet Split, Rebellions against the Soviets in Eastern Europe, Islamic terrorism (pre 1991, e.g. Lockerbie), Saddam Hussein's and Muammar Qadhafi's rise to power, 1st Gulf War (Saddam as an ally for the West), Sino-Vietnamese split

Thank you very much for this excellent piece of historical entertainment!

With best regards,

the poor one

PS: Please keep Yugoslavia!

14. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

i quite agree, when u consider the USSR and China were in a state of virtual undeclared war in the late 60's shooting at one another along parts of their border it would make sense to given them poor relations. That way they could compete against one another for other communist countries.

15. MISER SVM

Indeed, there were far more than just two blocs during the Cold War.
    To implement the announcements, requests, suggestion etc. ... one must have an extraordinary command of Python and .xml. I hope a whole lot of people will work on this scenario. In its current state it is already a great game, however- it is far better than WW79 from Conflicts In Civilization. What I also loved about the game were the realistically strained Sino-Indian relations (I was Cuba, and it was hard to keep unaligned, but somehow pro-Western India by my side). Too bad there is no Pakistan!
    I liked it how the Parthians in the Greek World scenario did appear. With similar Python scripting it would be possible to let the Ba'ath Party, the Iranian Islamic Revolution or the Khmer Rouge appear...

Btw, there is an apparently misplaced city called Tianjin in Manchuria... Qiqiha'er or Changchun (this is still very geographically inaccurate) would be a little better.

I'd love to see a similar scenario stretching from 1922-1939!

16. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

new version (1.0) with new civ (spain)

-yes the AI likes SLBMs, in one AIPlay game kennedy was throwing them all around in the 70s
    -I would love to incorperate all those things, such as python triggered leader changes, Pakistan, etc.
    -I will post the additions to the new version on the front page
    -if people want to add to it, and upload additional files to add more text and tweak the game, that would be great.

I am attaching a version of the scenario with colder relations between Russia and China
    (has not been play-tested for balance, version in other zip file has good relations still)

Attached Files:

17. MISER SVM

I just played around with the WB-Save...

-Renamed Fascism (the tech) to Dictatorship of the Proletariat
    -The Religions are now (still "religions" in Civ terms) ideologies:
    -"Political Islam" (pretty generic, but this would be better, because Islam in Middle Eastern politics was not always fundamentalistic, as in Iran or Saudi Arabia, but also nationalistic- see Nasser)
    -"Asian ethics" - I tried to mod in a gold bonus, symbolising the five tigers and/or Japan's economical success. Also available in Hong Kong and Southern China (that's really a bit early, but it's added for those who want to imitate Deng's politics and remove Communism).
    -"Non-aligned movement"- uses the Om-symbol (yes that's inappropriate)- present in India, China, UAR, Yugoslavia, maybe Saudi Arabia (so you can switch easily, forming a new bloc)
    -Judaism- remains Judaism, because the term Zionism is a bit problematic (because it is often used by some fundamentalistic, anti-Israel Muslims)
    -Nationalism (Buddhism)- yes, that's abit far off. Just for those who like to be isolationists (such as Spain).

What about using the Worker as the Communist propagandist? :p

18. jlocke

jlocke Cold Warrior

I don't think some groups use of some term makes it automatically problematic. Remember that Zionism was not invented by anti-Israel individuals, but is a political ideology/movement by which the state of Israel was founded. In fact, after reading Arab newspapers from the turn of the century period (al-manar, al-hilal and others), one will find much sympathy and exploration of the zionist ideology, to which there was seen an affinity with the nationalist aspirations of the Arab people of Syria and Palestine (at the time under Ottoman suzreignty)... of course this all changed... but I'm just saying, no need to throw out the word zionist.
    ..."political Islam" on the other hand, is actually more problematic, since it is a definition imposed by outsiders to that group, unlike Zionism...

also, the reason i didn't want to add more religions (such as non-aligned) is so that the superpowers still have spying abilities. Franco and Tito, though, start out with no ideology and get propagandized by different civs in different games.
    I would rather they begin actually unaligned then be aligned with something called the unaligned. Also I like that India is Hindu.

(btw, last game I simmed I saw Tito take Dacca -bangladesh- and Israel took Kabul!)

19. MrManganese

MrManganese Chieftain

I figured out why people are having trouble playing the game. Your "Public Maps" folder should not have a space in it -> rename to "PublicMaps" and Civ4 will recognize it. Now everyone can play multiplayer with this scenario, just like I've been doing :cool:

20. Leif

Leif Prince

I think the communism civic should be renamed to central committe, for last game as uncle Ho, after I got Bejing she switched to communsim and tried attacking me. And technically communism is dictatorship of the proletariat, that meaning the workers decide what's going on, like a worker's democracy, what the USSR and most 'communist' nations had was state capitalism or just authoritarianism, which is best represented by the ruling committe, a very undemocratic committe which controlls everything. A one party state.
    -edit-
    I forgot to mention that I love this map very much, alot of effort was put into this and it shows