[C3C] Scenario Preview: Heaven vs. Hell

Lord Malbeth

Emperor
Hello everyone! For the last few months, I've been working on a (as of yet unnamed) scenario that features the forces of Heaven (led by Regent Michael) at war with the forces of Hell (led by Regent Beelzebub). This has been inspired by my interest in Judeo-Christian esoterica, syncretic religion, and media franchises like Supernatural.

Here's some preview pics:

Heaven Selection:

Hell Selection:

Scenario Intro:

Tech Tree:

Random Angelic Unit:

Random Demonic Unit:

So, Heaven and Hell each have a king unit that can be upgraded to extremely powerful, game-ending units (God -> Jesus and Lucifer -> Satan, respectively). Each civ can also build certain units, like lower-class angels, demons, Leviathans, and Jinn. But because this is also a game of larger-than-life characters, each civ also gets around 10-15 "heroes" that are basically king units without the king flag. They are powerful, unique, and cannot be built, so they should be used responsibly.

There are some new improvements in this game, but most of the building emphasis has been placed on small wonders or regular wonders that either produce useful units, or reduce corruption and aid empire-building. Examples include: the Sword of Michael, Legion, Council of Deities, Witches Coven, and Hunter's Compound. Several of these wonders spawn monster creatures, but can explode if not properly tended to (a la Nuclear Power Plants), to represent the volatility of the monsters whose aid you are enlisting.

Victory can be achieved either by conquering the known universe (which, for both Heaven and Hell, includes conquering the denizens of Earth as well as the errant angel sect known as the Grigori), or by absorbing the energy of souls (that is, sacrificing worker units and gaining culture points).

Heaven and Hell are the only two playable civs, but Earth is divided into the State, the Church, the Academy, and the Corporation, which each have their own governments and unique units. As I mentioned earlier, there is also a rogue angel sect known as the Grigori floating around in the nether regions of the map, who have access to hidden nationality units like the Nephilim. Watch out for these guys! Also, barbs are pretty intense, and manifest in the form of "primordial monsters", which are just big ol' spiders out in the middle of nowhere.

One thing I'm also trying to do is retain as many improvement graphics and units from the original game as I can. This is more or less just a creative challenge, to see if I can implement existing units in newer, creative ways.

I know there is a lot more to this than I can explain in a pithy post, but do tell me your thoughts and ideas, and let me know if you have any cool name ideas!

Definitely sounds interesting and unique. I also thought of Battle for the Human Body, although your ambitions sound perhaps greater, or at least grander in setting. You've also reminded me that I picked up Afterlife on GOG last year, but have yet to play it - a game with a similar theme as your scenario, though a city-builder instead.

Edit: Oh, I see you also wrote Battle for the Human Body! Well, I liked that one, so that's a good sign for liking this one as well.

Seems like an interesting concept like Battle for the Human Body.

Definitely sounds interesting and unique. I also thought of Battle for the Human Body, although your ambitions sound perhaps greater, or at least grander in setting. You've also reminded me that I picked up Afterlife on GOG last year, but have yet to play it - a game with a similar theme as your scenario, though a city-builder instead.

Edit: Oh, I see you also wrote Battle for the Human Body! Well, I liked that one, so that's a good sign for liking this one as well.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm happy to hear that you both liked BftHB! That was a fun mod to work on. Hopefully, this one will be enjoyable too.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm happy to hear that you both liked BftHB! That was a fun mod to work on. Hopefully, this one will be enjoyable too.

I didnt actually play the mod....... but I looked at the topic and images (when they worked). It's been a couple years since I saw it, but it reminded me of it when this one appeared; and then I saw in your sig that you had made it.

I didnt actually play the mod....... but I looked at the topic and images (when they worked). It's been a couple years since I saw it, but it reminded me of it when this one appeared; and then I saw in your sig that you had made it.

Ah, I see! I should probably go back and get some images up for that scenario.

Does anyone have any ideas for a title? Heaven vs. Hell or Angels vs. Demons are the placeholders, and both are v boring.

Great project! I've often thought of doing a similar scenario. Will there be modern units like tanks etc?

This looks very fun!

Yes, there will! The humans can build infantry, tanks, bombers, fighters, battleships, artillery, etc. In this game, I'm kind of going with a Miltonian view of angels/demons, describing them as physical beings of immense power. This means that while an infantryman might not be able to stand up to an angel, a tank might.

Top Bottom