Scenario request: Spanish Reconquista

Laruku

Chieftain
I have been playing Sword of Islam several days in a row and I really enjoyed it. I was wondering whether a scenario of the Spanish Reconquista might be implemented. Although I made some scenarios for the old Civ2, I find making a mod/scenario for BTS to be a daunting task.

You may read this article from Wikipedia to learn more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Reconquista

I give you some ideas for it:

* Time span:

From 722 to 1492. The Muslim invasion of the Iberian Peninsula started in 711. The Visigothic Kingdom was ruling at that time, but they were overpowered in a short time by the invaders. Just a small area in the North, Asturias, was under Christian control. The Reconquista began in 722 from that place, ending in 1492 with the fall of the Kingdom of Granada.

Another possible start would be in 1037, easier to implement, in my opinion.

Situation in 1037:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Castile

* Map:

An Iberian Peninsula map, including south France and North Africa. I have checked one already made, showing Western Mediterranean:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15979

The problem is that some bits of the Peninsula are missing, from Galicia and Portugal.

There was apparently another map, but it is not available now:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=302917

Perhaps using the first one or a retouched version of it would be a good idea, or even create one anew.

* Civilizations/Time span/ Leader(s):

Muslims:

- Umayyad Caliphate 661-750
- Abbasid Caliphate 750-1258
- Caliphate of Cordoba 929-1031 ; Abd-ar-Rahman III
- The Almoravids --> invaders or civ; 1040-1147; Abdallah ibn Yasin
- Almohad Caliphate --> invaders or civ; 1121-1269; Abd al-Mu'min
- Emirate/Kingdom of Granada --> Boabdil
- Other minor kingdoms (Taifas): Badajoz, Toledo, Zaragoza, Albarracin, Valencia, Sevilla, Huelva, Malaga, etc --> around 1031-1250

Christians:

- Frankish Kingdom (not playable?) --> including Catalonian counties; Charles Martel
- Kingdom of Galicia --> could be a part of Kingdom of Asturias
- Kingdom of Asturias 718-924; Pelayo
- Kingdom of Navarre 824; Sancho (III)
- Kingdom of Aragon 1035; Ramiro I
- Kingdom of Castile 1037; Ferdinand I; Alfonso X
- Kingdom of Leon 910-1230; García I, Alfonso VI
- Kingdom of Portugal 1139; Alfonso I

* Wonders of the World:

- The Alhambra of Granada
- The Great Mosque of Cordoba
- The Chanson of Roland
- The Generalife Palace
- Medina Azahara
- The Giralda
- Leon Cathedral
- Synagogue of El Transito
- Three Cultures (Christians, Muslims and Jews living together)

* Religions:

-Sunni
-Christian
-Jewish (maybe minor)

I would thank you for your suggestions and comments.

medieval Spain is a great setting for a mod and theres tons of content for it, you can basically take everything from SoI and RFCE. The_Turk had this idea a long time ago but he never did anything, I don't think.

Historical scenarios like that, with relatively small map and timeframe, do not warrant RFC mechanics in my opinion. Without RFC/SoI engine it would also be much easier to implement, but still, you're looking at a couple of months of work to get such scenario done (unless you have a lot of free time, then weeks ;) ). Like srpt says, you don't need models & graphics and such, since these are already available, but you'd need to handle XML and some Python at least.

I''ll think about your advices. My original idea was to create a second scenario for SoI, because I regard it like the culmination of Civ4. About the timeframe, it depends, more than anything, on the pacing of time. And the map can be huge, no problem on that. I'll learn to create a new one from scratch if needed.

Perhaps the easiest way to do it, at least from my part, would be a simple scenario, starting in 1037.

One of the things I like of RFC is the automatic naming of the new cities, according to the historical location. That would be great to have it.

Then, I wouldn't know how to implement the Almoravid and Almohad invasions. I guess using some programming with Python, as you suggest.

Anyway, I would like to ask you permission to use some Leader heads and other graphics. I don't know if they are Public Domain.

I have two months to do it. Then I won't have so much time.

As I told you, I had some experience making scenarios. There are some of my own in Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds. But it wasn't so difficult at that time: just changing text files and retouching some graphics.

Well, I start right now with the task. I'll keep you up to date.

I like the idea a lot and agree with srpt. There is a ton of content that can fit into the mod.

You could have Shia Islam as a minor religion. The Idrisids and Fatimids held influence over Northwestern Africa during their respective times. Not enough as playable civs, but enough to have it included I think.

I''ll think about your advices. My original idea was to create a second scenario for SoI, because I regard it like the culmination of Civ4. About the timeframe, it depends, more than anything, on the pacing of time. And the map can be huge, no problem on that. I'll learn to create a new one from scratch if needed.

Perhaps the easiest way to do it, at least from my part, would be a simple scenario, starting in 1037.

TYVM :) Still, while making a scenario for SoI is slightly easier than for original RFC, it is much harder than making a scenario for CIV4. Basic scenario means a lot of XML work, map editing and some Python programming. RFC/SoI means that + a lot of Python and some C++ as well, so if you're not familiar with programming, I'd recommend starting with a normal scenario and borrowing content from SoI, RFCE and other mods.

One of the things I like of RFC is the automatic naming of the new cities, according to the historical location. That would be great to have it.

That part is relatively simple and can be implemented (i.e. copied from RFC) in any scenario, without the rest of RFC mechanics. I assume you'd rather start with a blank/mostly blank map, rather than one populated with cities/units?

Then, I wouldn't know how to implement the Almoravid and Almohad invasions. I guess using some programming with Python, as you suggest.

Pretty much. A simple invasion would be just creating plenty of units in Python - very easy. If you want to flip cities as well, then it gets a bit complicated. Making a playable faction that joins mid-game is another story - that would require RFC or similar mechanics indeed.

Anyway, I would like to ask you permission to use some Leader heads and other graphics. I don't know if they are Public Domain.

In general, pretty much all CIV4 content on this site, including SoI's material of course, is free to use in other mods, no permission needed, just make sure you put the original creators in the credits (for SoI content refer to SoI's credits, or ask me if you need to identify the author of anything particular).

I have just started with the scenario. I will go for the easiest way, avoiding complications, because this is nearly my first attempt doing that in Civ4.

I have been thinking of starting in 1158 and ending in 1492, more than 300 turns, each of one year.

The civs will be:

-Almohads
-Portugal
-Leon
-Castile
-Navarre
-Aragon

The map, unless I change my mind, will be one of West Mediterranean, as I mentioned before. It will started with cities already built, although I will make a list of new cities for each civ. No fancy automatic naming, at the moment.

I have seen some promising LHs from Novator.

This, if I'm able to accomplish it, will be just a first step learning the mechanics of modding. But I don't discard my first idea of making something close to SoI in the coming future.

I'll let you know about how it is progressing.

Good luck:)
P.S.I would like to see:
Castell de Bellver
Palma's Silk Exchange or Llotja de la Seda (a little out of the time frame)

Unfortunately I have found it more difficult than expected. I think I am not to be able to do it in the coming future. Anyway, as I told you, this was a "request". I congratulate for the mod maker of SoI, because it is really impressive.

Top Bottom