1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SCENARIO: The Vietnam War Deluxe; 1965-1975

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, May 17, 2007.

1. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

All the music files were tested rigorously by myself and El Justo. The crashes are certainly not coming from the music.

2. BEERPACK

BEERPACK General Chaos

This scenario looks very interesting. Unfortunately, I get a load error ( scenarios\vietnam\text\Pedialcons.txt: ICON_BLDG_RVN_Govt_Post ). I downloaded the main files (vietnam folder) and the biq maps. I put everything in my conquest scenarios folder and I am not sure how to fix this. Thanks, Seth

3. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

RED DOOR: Sorry ,I just can`t agree with you.
    Before my music-fix I have recieved periodically returning Crashes. After my fix - NEVER AGAIN !
    Absolutly the same I have encountered in TCW. (Crashes after about 10-20 turns. ALWAYS happened as one song has ended and the new one should be played)
    Now I have played through the whole thing and NO Crashes any more !?!

Or have you meanwhile upgraded the DL-file ?

4. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

BEERPACK,
    it sounds like the folder-within-a-folder probelm. click on the extracted scenario folder called Vietnam. there's probably another folder within that one w/ the same exact name. 'cut' the one on the inside and go back into the Scenarios directory and 'paste' it; overwrite the existing and now empty folder called Vietnam...

General 666,
    what you write is accurate...i think. Vuldacon recently filled me in on some of the problems associated w/ mp3 files and how the settings aren't always right despite all of the topical specs matching up. however, at the same time, Red Door is also right in the fact that we did indeed test these files. i mean, i never upload/publish files that are buggy (or at least i try my damnedest not to!) so it is almost certainly an issue from your end in terms of the crash and that dll thing you referenced. nonetheless, i agree that they should all be in the fully correct format and will try to fix it all in the future.

as for an upgrade of this particular scenario...in time, yes, i'd like to polish it up some. but it'll be a while as i have a full plate atm w/ AoI and real life stuff. but absolutely...i have a few ideas in mind to try and improve this pet project of mine :)

5. BEERPACK

BEERPACK General Chaos

I re downloaded the main files. I think for some reason when I downloaded this awhile ago I didn't see the main files or something and I d/led the fifties main files and renamed it the folder vietnam. Of course that was a pretty amateurish route. However, I thought something was wrong today and noticed it was the fifties files so after downloading the vietnam main files it now works. I'll try a Sid difficulty game for SV. My dad served in Vietnam as a forward observer so I'll have to show him this scenario sometime soon.

6. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

very nice :D unfortunately, i wasn't able to incorporate the fo units...although the heavies they'd send coordinates to are in there :) sid level will provide lots of chaos, that's for sure.

7. General 666

I am using a lot of Music.txt`s in my own Scenarios ;which give me no crashes even after playing many many hours (20+) . So trust me here : I`m never using a "dummy.mp3". Not in the MP3-folder ; not in the Music.txt ! AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY ! While Dummy-Scenarios causes my games to crash. Are you sure the dummy isn`t a relict left from pre-1.22 times ???

btw: the "mss32.dll" is part of your Civ install too ,just look into the game-main folder. So a wrong dll on my system was not the reason for the crashes ...

8. General 666

For the uograde : No real need to be hasty for you. I`ve allready upgraded my personal version - only aesthetic changes made ,no AI or other. It`s just that I do prefer Original Creators work ...

9. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

that's a refreshing sentiment sir :) and noted on the comments. very useful. thanks. one quick question: did you reformat all of the mp3's? if so, would you be interested in uploading them for us/me? i have server space if you have the inclination :D

10. General 666

Yes ,to be on the sure side I just reformated them all with the help of the freeware-tool "CDEx".

For the upload ; Yes I`m willing ,but never uploaded such a great file (I will .rar the folder) , So how to do ?
    For TCW too ???

EDIT: Typo which has messed up the meaning of my post corrected

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  11. General 666

OK ,El Justo ! I have made two .rar`s:
    1. Sounds.rar (75,1 MB) = contains the Sounds folder of your Vietnam-Scenario
    2. VietnamDL.rar (155 MB) = contains my current version of your Vietnam-Scenario

I would suggest you the 2. because it contains the music and all my changes made. Starting with a better unit_32.pcx and ending with new workers,settlers,soldiers,terrain...

But it`s up to you ! Which one ?

12. General 666

EL JUSTO : Before you reply here PLEASE read the PM I have send you FIRST !
    For replying please use the PM-Service here.

Bye
    General 666

13. craig77

craig77 Chieftain

Just to support what is said. I too have experienced crashes with the music. I removed the music from the game and no more crashes.

I eagerly await the corrected music file. It really adds to the flavor of the game.

14. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I myself have never had an issue at all with the scenario. Wierd.

15. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

Just started playing this mod for the first time and really like it a lot. Question, the C-130 Hercules has a transport capacity of 2 but what can they transport? In the editor they are set to transport "tactical missles". Is there a tactical missle unit in the game?

Thanks.

16. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

understood General. don't sweat it. in time, i'll hit you up. and thanks for the pm.

@Gary
    w/out looking in the editor, i think it's the arty pieces and the m551 sheridan.

17. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

This scenario is a lot of fun. It definitely has a character all its own. Very well constructed. One thing I did notice, however, in the Civpedia under "Operation Arc Light" if you click on the B-52 link where it says it auto produces B-52s the link leads to a dead end.

I'm glad this scenario has a lot of detail in the civpedia. I've been relying on it pretty heavily to figure out the game.

I rate Vietnam Deluxe the best Civ III scenario I have yet played. Very well balanced and well thought out. Thanks for all your hard work on this El Justo! Exceptional quality and workmanship! :goodjob:

18. la_Patrie

la_Patrie Chieftain

Great, thanks. I was playing on demi-god equivalent, I'll try Sid when I finally finish all these papers and can play again in a few days.:)

19. Xatokuom

Xatokuom In medias res

Great to see folks are still playing this outstanding scenario.

Looking forward to reinstalling Civ3. Hard to believe it's been 2 years...

20. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

hi Xatokuom. welcome back :) at some point, time permitting, i'd like to do an update of this one. not sure when or if, really. but it's on the list :cool: