SCENARIO: The Vietnam War Deluxe; 1965-1975

I know it is ancient history for you now El Justo, but I have been going about my usual Civ Voodoo practices of playing scenarios years after they are released, so here I am. :)

I do love this one so far, though I have only played about 8 or 9 turns I think. Playing SV, I didn't see this thread so I have already taken two of the NV cities along the coast by obliterating their defenders with the Navy with a bit of help from the two starting Wild Weasel units. Thought I thought the Pedia on them said they have stealth but I attacked a stack at one point and was not able to pick a target. This was in the open, not a city.

I have cleared all of the VP spots that are not on the western border. VC base units on some of them might have helped them last longer, but the navy gunfire and the massive air power would have destroyed them in the end. I am already getting a decent amount of pressure on the west and from the north though. Even though I did destroy almost all of the infrastructure along the HCMT. I definitely could use more troops, and dealing with the massive unrest is annoying too.

I think you got the right feel here. Digging them out of those foritifed VP spots in the jungles and mountains is hard work. I had a veteran ARVN Ranger go up against a base camp at 1 HP and he got snuffed out, ouch! :p Though once you capture them and use them yourself it is good of course. I've been steadily connecting cities with the engineers, that has been very helpful.

I would like to use the bigger sound file with the 40 songs that was mentioned in this thread; where can I get it? I have version 1.2 now. The music is just excellent, and I love that Robin Williams bit at the beginning. :D

hi Sasebo :) sorry for the delay in responding. and thanks for the remarks. not sure about the other sound folder. would have to check to see if i have it somewhere (likely that i do).

my hope is that at some point in the future, i can update this scenario. it needs a little refining imo.

Such a perfectionist El Justo...

Like for AoI, also a huge fan of this scenario. Certainly won't find me complaining if you want to make this one even better...:mischief:

Having somehow corrupted the original scenario (it started crashing every time I started it), I re-downloaded this excellent scenario but noticed that the T-28s seem to leave a "ghost" of themselves on the target when bombing. I guess this was a known issue, hence TopGun posted a fix for the problem here.

Unfortunately the link from that post doesn't work anymore.

If anyone is still reading this thread, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Iain

on fixing the shadow? if so, i'm not really qualified to give you advice on this although i do know it's a matter of editing each frame of the flc file. Vuldacon or TopGun himself may be able to give you more feedback :)

I usually prefer ancient or medieval eras which explains why it took me so many years to try this scenario. I just played through a game as the South & it was amazing! There are some things in here I haven't seen in another scenario such as Elite units popping Capture the Princess units instead of Great Leaders. Great job on this one, El Justo. Thanks for making it public for the rest of us to enjoy!

In my game as the South I quit in late '66 because it didn't look like the North was going to be a threat anymore. I started off weeding all the VC out of SV, then I strengthened my borders, then I started conquering my way up the HCMT starting in the south. By late '66 I have all of the HCMT up to just south of Khe Sahn & the cities in SV are fortified well enough that none of them are in danger.

Lots of fun! This scenario gets the Maimonides Stamp of Approval which is, of course, the highest accolade any scenario can achieve.

hi Maimonides :) good to see you again. this one was fun to make. granted, there are some slight hiccups that i had wanted to fix. but for the most part, it plays pretty neat. maybe some day i will try to polish it up. time is tough to come by nowadays...but i will say that from what i've seen from civ5 so far, it has little appeal to me. they've really dumbed down the series and that just ain't right imo :D

hi Maimonides :) good to see you again. this one was fun to make. granted, there are some slight hiccups that i had wanted to fix. but for the most part, it plays pretty neat. maybe some day i will try to polish it up. time is tough to come by nowadays...but i will say that from what i've seen from civ5 so far, it has little appeal to me. they've really dumbed down the series and that just ain't right imo :D

Ahhh yes, the ever present "graphics over gameplay" conundrum. At least it is for the developers, as for me, I'll stick with "gameplay at the expense of graphics", if you can really call it that.

Hey guys! This is easily my all time favorite fan created scenario for Civ III. I'm hoping to create some units just for this scenario in the hopes that El Justo will be updating it in the future. I'll update this post periodically with my latest previews.

Below are previews of things hopefully to come. I welcome El Justo's feedback on them. :)

US Green Beret; RoK Marine (Capital Division); LRRP; ARVN Ranger

should my small contribution have any effect on EJ decision, well I'm here again and happy to help, if he wants...

@ Gary. Your previews look pretty good IMO, indeed they're much better than old "de-civ colored" I reworked for TVW. I just found ROK Marine camo a bit too... yellow at first glance. I need to check my archive pics...

should my small contribution have any effect on EJ decision, well I'm here again and happy to help, if he wants...

@ Gary. Your previews look pretty good IMO, indeed they're much better than old "de-civ colored" I reworked for TVW. I just found ROK Marine camo a bit too... yellow at first glance. I need to check my archive pics...

The pic I have for a RoK Marine has him in camo similar to the camo used by US Marines in WW2, the "duck hunter" type or whatever. The background for the camo is a kind of light desert tan type color accented by green, brown and blackish splotches. Basically I'd like to differentiate the RoK Marine from other units which will probably mostly use solid olive or tiger stripe patterns. Let me know what you find in your archive. :)

As far as weapons I'll probably give the RoK marine a standard M-16 instead of the GL version and the ARVN Ranger will get an M-1 Carbine. What would be your input on weaponry Wolf_66?

Also, can you think of any other units that could be used in the scenrio?

Here's a pic of the RoK Marine up close. When I sharpen the image with photoshop it picks up a little more of the light desert tan color.

As far as weapons I'll probably give the RoK marine a standard M-16 instead of the GL version and the ARVN Ranger will get an M-1 Carbine. What would be your input on weaponry Wolf_66?

Also, can you think of any other units that could be used in the scenrio?

I will reply ASAP from home (I'm at work now...) ;)

Hi El Justo,

Your PM box is full so I'm posting a couple questions here.

1. in your prior PM you mention PAVN regular infantry: I don't see that one on Wolf's chart. Is this a new unit or are you referring to the NVA rifle coy?

2. On Wolf's chart the sappers show "AK-47, RPG" for weapon. Do you want them to posses both weapons or one or the other?

Also what do you think of my idea to exclude N. Vietnam geographically from the scenario? Is it too extreme?

Best regards,

Gary

hi Gary. thanks for remarks. has to clean out the pm box :) sorry.

1. yes, pavn/nva rifle company gfx could use an update imo. iirc, it's some real old gfx although not crappy by any stretch. just not wholly accurate.

2. it's important, i think, for the sappers to have some sort of rpg or bangalore torpedo. not sure how this could be represented through the flc anims but i'll leave that up to you :)

3. not a bad idea. would have to look at it all more closely. it would, however, mean revamping the map (cropping it, essentially). there would also have to be a few other nuances but in sum, it's not a bad idea :cool:

Gary
just to avoid any confusion:

PAVN = People's Army or Viet Nam = NVA = North Vietnam(ese) Army. Just two ways to define the same organization. PAVN is the litteral translation of vietnamese name while NVA (as far as I know) is often more used in USA

About "sappers". In western armies the word "sapper" indicates a special kind of combat engineer i.e. a soldier specially trained to build obstacles to enemy maneuvers (such as field fortifications) or destroy similar obstacles placed by enemy (i.e. breaching obstacles).
Nevertheless in North Vietnam/ Vietcong terms the same word had a quite different meaning.
It's hard to place a precise and unambiguous definition since the same word was used for quite different thinghs (as for many other troops in Vietnam War).
Just keep in mind the following:

Generally speaking, NV/VC sappers were special assault troops trained and equipped to pave the way to "regular" infantry during attack to fortified US/SV positions. Thus "sappers" might be either:
-elite assult troops (Rangers in US terms)
-very specialized combat engineers trained to snake between barbed wire (they were nearly naked to avoid to get uniform entangled into wire) and use special demolition charges
- semi-irregular troops, sometimes wearing civilian clothing and/or drafted by local population, and used for covert attacks to sensitive targets in pure guerilla style. This happened for instance during Tet offensive.

For Civ3 game purposes, you might decide to have NVA/PAVN sappers as more "formal" military unit e.g. assault troops with uniform and some special explosive/breaching device while Vietcong sappers might be similar to the semi-irregular troops described above.

In both cases I put AK-47 and RPG in my sheet as these were the most common individual weapons (RPG was used as demolition weapon too). Despite this both should (or could) have an additional attack animation with some exploding device. I can send you more detail if you want but it is up to you to decide how far you want to go with detailed simulation...;)

I hope this makes sense

been playing this for a week now . Tested it first as Charlie , ı think ı will do allright as South . My problem is game crashes alot especially after ı try to reload after a particularly bad turn . ı managed to save the mesage that would have been sent to Microsoft had ı web connection at home . It says in part

MATCHING_FILE NAME="Scenarios\Vietnam\Conquests No Raze Patch\Civ3Conquests2.exe

ı know it is already in the download . My question should ı keep to the advice that says renaming the original exe ? ı would like to call this as No raze exe , would it work this way ? One more thing ı have a NoCD patch from a German computer magazine , found with the help of a member here ( thanks once more , General) will that also work with noraze exe ?

Top Bottom