SCENARIO: The Vietnam War Deluxe; 1965-1975

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, May 17, 2007.

1. Orhan

Orhan Chieftain

Didn't play yet, but will definitely.. :goodjob:

Oh, I get the feeling they'll draft you soon El Justo, after all these realistic scenarios! Watch out now! :lol:

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

yes, if you use those SF units in an appropriate manner, you can pretty much keep the VC at bay.

it'd be hard to convince me to remove the rail/highway tiles improvements i think. and this is b/c, as you can imagine, in one week's time, a military force could theoretically move anywhere in SV assuming it had a good road net. however, if this aspect skews gameplay too much, i will absolutely give it another look :) but it would need to be overwhelming evidence.

the radii for the NV airforce is slim - at least in the beginning. plus, those air units can't rebase (to prevent them from going to the HCMT bases). but you'll lose aircraft eventually. trust me on that :) especially if you launch sorties along the Hanoi-Hai Phong corridor and on fixed enemy locations in the south. i've seen the AI move aaa pieces onto the bunkers/VPs.

AI pillaging is notoriously poor - so that is probably why you haven't seen much activity w/ them in this regard.

oh and i forgot to mention in that other post about the Operation Arc Light entry. thanks for spotting that :D

3. El Justo

El Justo Deity

oh no ill intent imagined :) but i guess my excuse is that i wanted to get this hog off my shoulders since i'd been working on it since last October. not really a good excuse i know...but i'll admit that i sometimes get a little batty when working on the CivP file (ie. fits of anxiety). nonetheless, the file could use some extra polishing, no doubt (the imp's and wonders really - all else is pretty good imo).

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

:lol: they won't want me - trust me on that :lol:

5. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

Here are instructions for fixing the glitches with the Skyhawk and Trojan bombing anims.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

6. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Ah, the War is HELL :goodjob: .
    Be sure to guard the captured VLs with troops or the VC will re-occupy them.
    I wasn't able to secure ALL the VLs the first few turns, there just wasn't enough troops. To do so will likely leave your border towns in the West vulnerable to being captured. I would love to see some screenies of your
    fighting if you are able :cool: . I can see now how devastating the airpower
    was in the war, no doubt it took many years to overcome the fear when the
    sound of planes were overhead :eek: . Keep the news coming ;) .

7. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

my experience after one turn (playing as SV):

Having the Vietcong entrenched in my backyard is a very sobering situation, as all vital points and crossroads are rendered useless by the rebels.

My strategy therefore is as such:
    (1) Destroy the supply lines (road network along the Ho Chi Minh trail) by aerial bombing concentrated halfway between north and south.
    (2) Recapture key crossroads by aerial bombing, recon (US troops) and capture (ARVN).
    (3) Fortify frontline towns.

Success: Very slow. Lost two frontline towns, destroyed the connection between the trail and NV, captured and fortified 4 crossroads.

8. Xatokuom

Xatokuom In medias res

Hey dgfred,

I'll post them later today. My HD crashed yesterday so I'll have to start over :(. The way I did it was use the combat engineers to extend the highway to An Hoa. This allowed me to use the LRRP to circumnavigate the entire SV within 1 turn and use my inf to take them out.

I used the ARVN Rangers to go South into the lower SV area and root out the VC strongholds there.

One of the most powerful tools is knocking out the coastal VC outposts with the CAG/DS combos. I would move the DS close in, shell with the DS, then use the CAG for a lethal coup de grace with an extra salvo available for another fortification.

Hope I can recreate, it was pretty spectacular for a first go.

Cheers,
    Xatokuom

9. Xatokuom

Xatokuom In medias res

TopGun69,

I also found that to be a good approach, slows down the enemy allowing you to reposition your units after quelling the internal forces.

One thing I noticed is that the Nomads were pretty susceptible to AA fire (not sure of how the math works, but non-prop craft seemed less likely to be shot down (higher defence factor?)).

Cheers,
    Xatokuom

10. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Finally, it works! That was a fight...

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

nice remarks all and thanks TG for that fix.

Ares,
    so you were able to successfully DL? i'm planning on uploading at the Storm site as a mirror/back-up. i just need to sort out the ftp stuff...so let me know. thanks :)

12. Samez

Samez Emperor

I agree to TopGuns strategy I just would add: destroy all NV infrastucture.. this should not be too difficult ( I destroyed till now about 80% of it and this without big losses)
    I had some serious bad luck with the rng (first three turns none(!) of my planes was able to hit anything so arty had to help out. Even now I sometimes have turns when my B52 doesn't hit anything even with a bomb value of 100... that's bad luck)
    I personaly would wish to have an Agent Orange unit capable of cleaning jungle (very low stats but fast terraforming (so jungle is chopped down imideatelly) a movement of 1 and all terrain as roads (so you can enter and clean a square but you won't be able to save your Agent....))

13. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Ha El J, I just noticed that the military advisor was a 'hottie' :drool: . You
    just never stop amazing me :clap: :worship: .

14. The Loser

The Loser King

Playing as NV is a nice challenge, especially in the first turns.
    After your forces spawn more in the town you are able to really go for it.

I never minded the victorie-points and never garissond units over there.(except for those already there)
    Starting from the south i attacked the SV and took two small cities: Ha Tien and Rach Glah.

After this i had to repel many SV counter-attacks and defend against air-raid in the north and the south. The SV catured Base area 615 a few times but i recaptured it every time.

When their fury was over i kept going up north from my two new towns. Fights where heavy, but all my forces went straight to the south via my railroadsystem.

Soon i had all the southern city's, and SAIGON was next :goodjob:
    It has fallen with a cost, i lost many good commies but it is ours now!!!

I rule the SV by power now, don't know if they are ready for some fights from now, i think i'll quit if it gets to easy from now :cool:

Then it is time to play as the sv :king:

15. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

El Justo,

Congratulations!

The Vietnam War Deluxe really looks like a great scenario.
    Should be a classic.

Rocoteh

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

you're too kind :blush: thank you!

17. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Yes it seems the AI is much better with the NV side. Even then when I am playing as SV I have to curb my Air Power (ala US politicians :mad: ) and limit
    my Navy in bombing NV to pieces :mischief: .

I have been playing using these limitations:
    1-Limited Air for the first 10 turns (no cities in NV attacked).
    2-Limited Navy only able to fire on NV territory in troop support.
    3-After the first 10 turns of Air Power NO bombing at all in NV for 10 turns.
    4-Bombing of Viet Cong territory is still permited with limited bombing of cities.
    5-I like to configure my SV territory sort of like the real war with helicopter
    bases, naval yards, special forces bases, air bases (jets), air bases (prop)
    and other junk like that just for fun :cool: --- of which I'm having a ton :cool: .

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

very nice :clap:

those are very realistic restrictions bud - you'll find yourself though as SV using your air power to repell Charlie & Co. i mean, once the turns start mounting. i remember in testing the SV file, i reached 1966 a few times and was using just about every single air unit in my arsenal. and it seemed like i i could never have enough B52s either...

19. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i've also had some bad luck w/ the RNG and the air units as SV. once i rebased some of the Thailand aircraft, the success rate on the sorties seemed to increase :scan:

i thought of the Agent Orange aspect too Samez :) but i thought that trying to incorporate some sort of terraform feature like that would be very AI-unfriendly. so i left it out. however, a less balky option would be to grant a 'detect invisible' bonus to one of the prop aircrafts. in this way, it would sort of simulate a 'defoliant' or a 'denial of sanctuary' to the enemy. alas, i left it out buit maybe in future versions. i'd have to see how it works for the AI.

20. El Justo

El Justo Deity

those are interesting reports The Loser. thanks for sharing :)

at about what turn did you capture Saigon?

and also - what difficulty level are you playing at?