SCENARIO: The Vietnam War Deluxe; 1965-1975

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, May 17, 2007.

1. rusyn

rusyn Chieftain

Thanks, I've resolved this problem. But now, when I want to open it it is written "load error" and file Art\tech chooser\Icons\jetfighter-small.pcx missing, then it writes file Art\tech chooser\Icons\artillery doctrine_sm.pcx missing, and the loading of the scenario stops. I think I have a problem with the Art\tech chooser\Icons files. Do you know, what should I do?

2. Theryman

Theryman King

Holy crap this is done!? Downloading now. I love you.

3. Xatokuom

Xatokuom In medias res

Rusyn, can you send a screenshot of your CivIII\Conquests folder with the Scenarios\Vietnam path broken out? That way, we may be able to help.

It sounds like the Art files didn't extract properly to the above path. I didn't have the problem, but perhaps your download or extract became corrupted?

Cheers,
    Xatokuom

4. Orhan

Orhan Chieftain

Thank you for the kind and detailed explanation Xatokuom. Yes, all that of course makes sense, so it is usefull to review in that manner. But, I should have been more specific on my question.

Any way, I think I know what the problem is now. As Karzand also noticed, there is a bug of some sort :confused: at some level of coding. I don't know where, but I'm sure now that I noticed a similar problem with two city defenses on the North Viet side of the game.

So, El Justo here is the problem as I observed: For some reason at some point -I don't know when it is triggered and how it is later self resolved- plane bombing function was not functioning! I knew there was something wrong when I first mentioned it yesterday, but wasn't sure yet then. Karzand noticed the same problem as well. However, I am sure of a coding disfunction now, since I noticed it twice with city defence while playing the North Side. May be it is an overall civ3 problem, I don't know.

There was only two small units in the city - in fact happened in two cities in a row- but neither didn't get hurt at all even after 15+ excellent units of mine! Two turns later, somehow everyting came back to normal though! So, it wouldn't be immediately noticeable, and also unpredictable of course. BUt there is a problem somewhere for some reason.

---

A few comments and suggestions for Nıorth Viet. version: I played that as well at -2 highest level, and in fact that version turned out to be much easier than the South one; mainly I think due to two sets ot condition. 1- Planes should be unmoveable from the carriers - I imagine the only way for that would be to disallow the "rebase" option- because otherwise not so intelligent AI takes'em down to small coastel cities, and gush those cities are easy to destroy while AI is looking god knows where!?! I destroyed three cities easily with all the planes in them, and after that game was a piece of cake. South without airpower is in fact a very weak opponent. 2- I noticed the Ships of South did not move! I looked at the units parameters and saw that immobile option was selected for all. May be a mistake or on purpose, but either way I think it should be changed. I used Navy on the South side to take over the coastal cities of North, while considering myself as some sort of Extraterrestial untouchable power! AI for South couldn't do nothing!! 3- Also, may be you might want to decrease the frequency of free units that comes out of barracks for both, especially for the South.. May be!? They are fun to have, but I hardly every used any unit production and still beat the crack out of Norh! 4- Given that I started to make unsolicited comments now; let me throw in another one: I played both sides, and kind of got sure of a definite win -despite expected laborous conqueing of each city or base, since there are too many of them- after about 50 turns... So may be, you might want to consider speeding up the technology calender from 15 to say 8-9, so the game should definitely be over within 200 turns or so.. That's how I felt.

Any way, you do howeverever you please, but it is definitely another excellent piece of modding art with a lot of unique units, buildings, etc., A very respectable work from you El Justo and all your modding bodies.. :goodjob:

Cheers,

5. Lord Dom

Lord Dom Chieftain

one word can describe this "wow".
    but i do have a little probem to report, whenever i try to use a fighter from the carriers in the south they don't do anything, as in i order a bombing mission and the always miss, but even when they miss it doesn't give that little message saying it missed it just moves away before i can see the bombing animation. this is only afiliated with the carriers in the south. plz help for i don't think i'm that unlucky.

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi there Orhan :) sorry for the delay in responding. it was a long holiday weekend for me :D

i'll try and answer some of your questions.

the distinction between the different air units is primarily range and RoF also. by that i mean that the F100s and F105s are pretty much intended for long range bombing missions and engagements w/ enemy MiGs. of course, there bombardment no's aren't quite what some of the other air units are like the A-1s and A-4s. but there role in the air war was mainly as strike aircraft or in support of ground troops (napalm for example). so in civ3 terms, that would mean decent bombardment no's and a nice RoF but shorter ranges and the fighter units have the extended reach.

as for certain air units not hitting their targets - i've also seen that occur during testing and to be honest, i don't really have an answer to this problem. i did however notice that it occurs primarily when air units are stationed in a city that is not a part of the homogenous SV lands (ie there are VC bases in between). it may be a coding issue but like i mentioned, i just don't know. the cure to the problem though - as someone else also noted - was to move these air units from Thailand back to SV and the bombardment success increases significantly.

7. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi rusyn :D

did you get this problem resolved?

it looks to me like what Xatokuom described. nonetheless, we can see to it that it runs properly for you. please advise - thanks :cool:

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi again.

i had considered flagging the USN planes so that they can't rebase. however, the problem is that the ones that are auotpro'd later on in the game wouldn't be able to rebase onto the carriers. however, your points are very valid and i may indeed consider this option for any future option b/c it may very well be the lesser of two evils (ie the pre-placed cv planes stay put but the spawned ones are stuck in the city in which they were autopr'd).

regarding the ships - yes - it is intentional. i did this b/c i know how lame the AI is w/ its naval assets. by that i mean that an AI-controlled SV would move those ships out into NV waters and bomb the poop out of all of the coastal cites every turn. now, i wanted to try and stay as close to history as possible and try to limit any AI naval incursions into NV and in particular, limit the NGF to mainly SV. yes, the USN did conduct some NGFS missions north of the DMZ but they were only a few and never did the large capital ships venture into Hai Phong harbor or anywhere else in the northern reaches of NV.

now, for the SV, these ships have a few mvmt points. but it is a generic house rule (of which i don't think i mentioned :blush:) to not take these ships too far north.

i've given thought to reducing the frequency of autoproduction for some of the units. your reports (and everyone else's too!) which stretch into 1966 and beyond are very helpful for me in assessing this all since i only took the beta testing into early '66. so all comments in this vein are greatly appreciated :D

that's funny that you suggest the speeding up of the techs b/c i debated back and forth in my head about the exact thing and just about the exact min/max turns. again, i'll have to re-assess once more reports come back in but you're definitely onto something :goodjob:

9. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi there :)

there could be a few reasons why this is happening -

one is that it could be the 'non-homegenously based air unit' issue described by some already or

it could be that you don't have special force units in the area to actually 'see' (ie detect invisible) Sir Charles and Co. :D

10. Orhan

Orhan Chieftain

Here is some more and summarized feed back for you, my favorite modding fiesta expert El Justo the Perfecto: Some of this stuff might be a repetition but what the heck, just kindly ignore the parts you've already heard. I figured a capstone managerial summary might be of use to you, given that you just said you didn't go too far in beta-testing.

On the SV side i reached the 57th turn, on week 15, 1966. Then, I got tired of the game! I mean no money, no nothing, how far can I go? For what? For VP points? Not me man! Any way, I added a few screen shots below to let you know where I stood when I left. I was playing major on mid-agression level, and obviously, I was only on the 4th step of the tech tree. Game was pretty much over really, when I dropped it. North was doomed to loose.

As for my style, I never care to count or calculate no techie type of values such as food here, resources there. I determine strategy/tactics to win, and if my industry supports, that is beautiful. Otherwise what is the use of official fighting any way? Just let'em invade, and then guerilla fight'em to win for sure in a history proof way! Which of course is not available in civ games! In this mode you not only give a lot development, highways etc., but also a lot free units as well. I love you man.. Be my boss, and in fact be my King if you wish; you are the most generous one.. So, everything was almost too good to be true in the mod, and I was happy until I really got tired of it, and definitely had enough of right kind of theraphy! Hey, I also get tired of eating even the best food, after two or three plates at most!

Strategy wise, my airforce and naval power was unmatchable, and used'em very efficiently. Initially I destroyed NV main supply lines with my air bombings which cripled'em significantly. I never destroyed anything more than necessary though, because I know I'll be taking over those cities soon, and I don't think printing excess cash would be ethical later on in expense of inflation!?! So that is usually my house rule; because I am a benevolent ruler, general, minister, president or whatever. So better vote for me man, or I'll come'n get you!

Of course, NV bonus-prouduced units came in thousands to take over my cities; but I always succesfully cripled'em sadly and badly through my air bombings. Very laborous, but what had to be done, had to be done!!

Seriously though, I don't think you need to do much more to improve this side of the game, except may be for partly crippling SV side air power by locking the initial CV planes on the CVs. AI will never be able to match human intelligence, no matter what any way.. Naval power wise, I have a suggestion that I'll mention on my NV side report to you Sir; my General Commander El Justo the Modding Perfecto..

On the NV side, I got to the 50th turn on Week 8 1996, when I finally got tired of taking over or simply crashing border cities and the strongholds of the SV. I got screenshots for that as well, below. Once again as mentioned earlier, lack of airforce due to AI's lack of real intelligence, as well as stand-down order given to the Navy by you, the El Justo the mean, SV was doomed to loose despite all the fancy units they had.. AI was doing funny things by the way; such as trying to land paratroops on my basis!? What the heck that was for, I don't know! But SV lost more than a few precious paratroops on my basis! There will be a military tribunal for that stupid action once the war is over, I'm sure..

Strategy wise on this side, I quickly eliminated the cities where the planes were parked by the AI! We talked about that earlier, and again, I firmly believe that carrier planes must be locked onto their carriers. New ones can be relocatable though; since it takes much time to get to that level of production any way. I didn't after 57 turns! I Used Navy to kill and maim the troops of 3-4 coastal cities. House or rule or not, I would do it any way, because I can!! You want to stop me man? How? As you can tell from the screen shots, only Saigon and Ben Hoa was left to SV as major cities, and I had no need to hury with those free units who are all very eager to fight, coming down to my services.. Meanwhile I was basicly industrializing my cities around "my" Northern Capital... My God, those highways certainly look beautiful.. I wonder if I should collect talls on'em?!

Here is my newest suggestions aside from the one on shortening the tech time periods which we apparantly think on the same lines. By the way, 8-9 was your favorite tech timing any way on all your other modes.. See I know, because you are the man..

OK. I believe SV should be allowed to move its navy any way it wants... BUT, a new trick may be implemented to slow down the Naval force, in a Rocotech way, if I'm not mistaking on the credit. He was the one I think who came up with fixed and floating mines idea, which I found to be very realistic and useful.. So, SV might be allowed to produce slightly powerfull "visible" floating mines at reasonable cost, along with one or two pre-placed reasonably strong fixed ones around each coastal city.

You know, I thought and even tried doing another trick but couldn't find a way around it. That was to let carriers and battle ships to move freely around only in the Ocean are, but not the Sea area for example. However, your map had coastel lines and sea only. I noticed that "sink" option was limited to sea or ocean, but the coastal area option was not available. So I couldn't put that idea in work.. Shoot.. If somehow, a slight cordon of sea area can be added before the newly defined Ocean area on your map, than the battle ship groups and cv's can be defined as sinkable in "sea", and hence, they could only move so close to the cities, their destruction power being limited..

Talking about historical reality, I'm pretty sure, one of the main reasons for US naval power not getting too close to the upper Northern regions -as you informed-, was to prevent being sunk by small suicidal ships and mines... Risk management of course.. If possible such additions might be useful for the 2nd. version of your great art piece on Vietnam, in addition to may be allowing very lightly powered small naval boats SV exclusive, later in the scenario which would be operable only within the coastal areas with 2-3 moves per turn... I don't know, just brain storming here as your volunteered servant my modding master...

Any way, once again, this is a great mode on its own, and I believe someone with some managerial skills from the Fraxis team should've already contacted you and offered you to work for them, part-time at least... You have the necessary figthing spirit and skills they can definitely use for their future mods my man, El Justo the Great..

Cheers,

Attached Files:

11. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

I've made a few of my own 'house' rules to make the battle more interesting, to me at least, playing as SV.

No cutting roads between NV cities and VC bases. I must leave at least one
    connecting road between cities.

No US forces inside of Vietnam or into VC 'territory' except Special Forces.
    This one I may change in the later game if I feel like it.

No Naval fire into NV unless supporting attack on city.

No re-basing of Carrier aircraft.

No building of any units, all builds must be infrastructure.

This one is painful, but I must leave (8) VC vls unoccupied by my forces in real hotbeds of VC activity. For example like the Ia Drang vl, vl near Pleiku,
    vl near BuonMaThuot, a couple in the middle country and 2 down south. This
    one is a real headache, but does make things very hairy for a long time. The
    other vls in SV I can take and hold, but these 8 I can only kill all the VC, then leave the vl un-occupied.

I also try to limit my drafting, maybe to every other turn or something like that. I may say just every 4 or 5 turns.

*I have some other ideas I'm still looking at, I'll post them when I got 'em.

Loads of fun this one is :cool: :cool: .

12. Orhan

Orhan Chieftain

Just remembered, so stopping by before I forget. Music file is also great :goodjob: El Justo, most of which are very depressing of course matching the reality of the times!..

Hey, I say add some more songs of the date please, so I can come back just for that!.. :lol:

Cheers,

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

thanks for the earlier comments Orhan. they were very insightful :thumbsup:

and on a sidenote - there is indeed another Sounds folder for this scenario. however, AlCosta has yet to post it for us :) soon though - i'll bug him about it :D

14. Theryman

Theryman King

CLutch. This website works with my download accelerator. I am downloading it now- I lied before.

15. Xatokuom

Xatokuom In medias res

Jeez, I'll have to take a look again. At the Colonel level I didn't see the option to draft as SV. Not that it's needed, but curious.

cheers,
    Xatokuom

16. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

An extended soundtrack, compiled by me with El Justo's help will be up here by tomorrow night, unless 3DDownloads sucks once again. It will have over 40 songs.

17. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

You can host those files on the SOC server if you wish. Just would have to wait a day for the server upgrade ot be over. But there would be no wait to DL the files.

18. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Okay, I'll shoot you a PM.

19. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Thats fine. Our server appears to be back up. So anytime you want the details just send me a PM

20. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

He,he... it does make things almost impossible for the North if you draft extensively :mischief: . I think the cities have to be size 20 before you
    can draft, so that is probably why you didn't notice it at first.