1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenarios in Civ 4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by von Tirpitz, Jul 12, 2006.

1. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Hi folks,

Couldn't find a topic on this, so I'll open a new one. Actually I'm a big fan of scenarios and spent hundreds of hours while playing scenarios with Civilization 2. So I'm looking forward to play all the available scenarios as soon as Asypr fixed the problems (hope it won't take 'em too long!)

Has anyone tried out some of the scenarios included in Civ 4 or even downloaded some from here ? If yes, did any problems occure on Macs (the downloaded ones) ? Which one is your favorite?

2. Mumster

Mumster Chieftain

The American Revolution one is pretty cool.

3. ichiro51

ichiro51 Chieftain

thelopez has a pretty good list and is a great creator himself

4. AlexandrNyetski

AlexandrNyetski Chieftain

how many scenarios available through civ fanatics are playable on a mac?

5. DaMacGuy

DaMacGuy Chieftain

I've tried at least one 3rd party scenario - Jon 'Trip' Shafer's World War 1 v2.

I get a series of XML load errors, but the scenarios does load. The errors seem to be limited to the scenario description and event notificiations (unrestsricted submarine warfare). There's also a map display issue in the Eastern Baltic (but I think that's a political statement - :crazyeye:).

I've tried the scenario in /Civilization IV/Mods/ and ~/Documents/Civilization IV/MODS/. Same error.

Any suggestions on getting Scenarios working.

6. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Da Mac Guy, like you I started with that World War I Scenario (nice one!) and experienced exactly the same problems as you. (XML errors while loading)

It is playable though no events are correctly displayed. Nevertheless it seems to me that the effects of the events take place, just the text is not shown. I guess the problem is that Civ4 @ Mac simply can't find the event text ..maybe it's possible to manually solve this problem? Who can help?

Also some units have no name if you play in any other language than english...

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Does anyone know if Mac Civ4 loads any text XML file, or is it a specified list of files it's looking for?

For the PC you can name your texts XML file anything and it'll load. If the mac version is looking for specific named files that'll be what's causing the problems with those errors.

Dale

8. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I found one source of XML load failures.

While looking at The Ancient Mediterranean mod (TAM) I found that a few of its XML files included references to the authors' names, and they were in non-Latin text that include character codes above 127. The offending text is in comment lines, and when I deleted these lines the XML loaded OK. TAM still won't work because it uses a customised CvGameCore.dll file, but at least this is one area to look for in XML files that fail.

I was also able to fix the Dutch mod when I discovered a similar invalid character in one of its files. See that thread for more info.

Characters above 127 should be replaced by 'entities' such as "& #252 ;" (without the spaces) in XML and HTML files. Windows appears to tolerate errors that break the Mac version.

9. gidds

gidds Chieftain

Am not that technical with a Mac, can someone just post the files in a plug and play way so "we dummy's" can just copy the bleeding thing?

By the way, thanks for your help.

:p

10. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I didn't solve all the problems - see my post in the Mod maker's thread over in C&C. The zip file set looks like it was created for an earlier version of Civ4, and there are several incompatible files in it. The best way to get a working set is for the mod maker to re-zip the latest versions of his files, which are probably in his Windows installer. Then, if he doesn't respond to my recommendation about that invalid character, I'd only have to give you one fixed file to make it all work.