1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sci-fi books screaming for a film adaptation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Martin Alvito, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, maybe that novel about a system of communities inside a dug up earth? The one that Lovecraft liked.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

That sounds intriguing. If anyone remembers the title, I'd like to look it up.

3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

The giveaway is that the animation actually looks good ;)

4. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

I'd love to see a TV series about Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Triology.

Some of Stanislaw Lem's works like "Pilot Pirx" or the "Star Diaries" would be great comedy material. The latter actually was adapted in a low-budget German short series that showed how much potential there is.

5. Kyriakos

I tried to find the name, but had no luck...

It likely was written between 1850 and 1920 (?).

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I found this in Wikipedia:

7. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Do you have a picture of my library? ;) The only one I don't have is "Redshirts".

After what they did with "Ender's Game" and "Starship Troupers" I would think smaller. Graphic novels have been a much more successful approach for movies.

TV series is different. "The Man in the High Castle" has been made into a very good series. I wonder if some of H. Beam Piper would translate, eg the Fuzzy books. Also, Gordon Dickson's Dilbian books. Both have the advantage of taking place in the wild, so sets are simpler. What about "Ringworld". It would be like a time travel series, except to different worlds.

On a side note, imagine Piper's Cosmic Computer in the Firefly Universe. Have the crew of Serenity go looking for it.

J

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

It's been decades since I read those. They're on my bookshelf in the living room, though.

Actually, now that someone has brought up Gordon Dickson, I would love a TV series based on his Dorsai! series.

9. Kyriakos

Not sure, it might be... It very likely was mentioned in Lovecraft's treatise on horror (on 'weird literature' rather). Will look it up later on :)

10. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

I would love to see Blomkamp's take on Diamond Age. This guy have a great talent creating a showing cyberpunk setting, but he's way worse with writing story or characters. Having him working on an already existing material could help with his weakness. We just need to cut the two or three parts where Stephenson was clearly masturbating over a programming textbook and pretend that this book has an ending and we are ready to go.

And Ajidica wrote here, I can't believe that there wasn't an adaptation of A Canticle for Leibowitz.

The same with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but personally I would prefer seeing The Doors into Summer.

The Man in the Maze should be transferable to the silver screen pretty easilly, imho.

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:vomit: I've read more exciting phone books.

12. Spidernova

Spidernova Warlord

Hyperion could be sweet, but I would hope that they resist the temptation to overuse The Shrike. It loses a lot of its power when it's a known factor.

13. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I was going to suggest Poul Anderson's High Crusade, but I've been poking around an the Internet tells me it was made into a movie way back in 1994. How did I miss it? :(

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Philistine. :lol:

15. onejayhawk

Well, yeah. Compact information is dry. Each chapter covers as much as one of the LotR books. You could do a season on the story of Luthien and Beren. That does not mean it would not be a good basis for a series.

A lot of Anderson would work. There is a reason he's the second most honored SF writer.

Are you just learning this?

J

16. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

This is my favorite book and I have a vision for an adaptation, but I'm not sure if it'd be any good. My love for Miller's prose gets me to the point where I'd want to see a lot of voiceover narration. Also the storyline being a series of three individually large-scale narratives centuries apart would definitely complicate the adaptation process.

17. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

How about a TV mini-series instead ala game of thrones, but tone down the libertarian fantasy side of things gets a little predictable. The lack of big space battles though is disappointing.

God knows how the series is going to end, maybe pen in some happy libertarian ending before the supernova at the center of the galaxy destroys earth.

18. Valka D'Ur

I'm not sure there's scope for a 13-episode miniseries of Venus. The only way to make it work would be to bring in more of the feud between Martin Humphries and Lars Fuchs as told in the Asteroid Wars books. And then you get into the messy discontinuity of who exactly was the mother of Martin Humphries' older son who was lost on Venus - because the only woman he chose to carry a child for him (other than Lars Fuchs' wife, Amanda, who was Van Humphries' mother) was murdered while she was still pregnant.

That said, I suppose you could consider Venus to be the conclusion of the Asteroid Wars sub-series, given its ending. But it still doesn't solve the problem of who Alex Humphries' mother was. Bova mucked up that bit of continuity quite thoroughly.

As for the lack of space battles, you could consider Venus to be one of those "claustrophobic submarine" type of stories in which the drama is the hostile environment outside and the interpersonal drama inside.

I've never seen Game of Thrones. It's not available in Canada without a very pricey subscription to a bundle of cable channels I can't afford.

I haven't read the last book yet. It deals with contact with aliens from another solar system (no spoilers from anyone who has read it, please). Bova said he wasn't going to bother with novels about Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto because he didn't think they were interesting enough.

I think he's wrong, but oh well... :(

One thing to remember about the second-tier classic SF authors... they're the ones getting up in years now. Robert Silverberg is over 80 and isn't writing much anymore, other than the occasional article. He drops in on his Yahoo! group every once in awhile. I'm not sure about Bova, but he's up in age as well. I predict there won't be very many more stories from him.

Another series of SF stories I would love to see made into a series is C.J. Cherry's Merovingen Nights shared-universe anthologies. This series is nominally connected to the Alliance-Union series, but set several centuries in the future. It would be a nightmare to secure the rights to all the characters, though, considering how many people were actually involved in writing this series. The only book for which that wouldn't be a problem would be Angel With the Sword, which was entirely written by Cherryh herself. But it doesn't include my favorite characters, and while it does have an ending, it's not a satisfying ending. It demands a sequel, which was satisfied by the anthology series.

19. onejayhawk

What about Ursula Le'Guin? "The Left Hand of Darkness" would be a great mini-series. They did something a while back with the Earthsea books but it was wretched.

Kind of on the side, I used to have a dentist named Jack Vance.

J

20. Valka D'Ur

Didn't they already do something with Left Hand of Darkness?

I read awhile ago that there will be a TV series based on The Handmaid's Tale. Ordinarily I'd be happy about that. But it's going to be shown on Hulu... which is not available to Canadians. WTF was Margaret Atwood thinking, agreeing to a deal like that?