Sci-fi books screaming for a film adaptation

Heinlein's Number of the Beast would make a great film, imo, but they'd probably have to take some creative liberties with the relationships between the protagonists.

Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos is my sleeper pick.

Heinlein's Number of the Beast would make a great film, imo, but they'd probably have to take some creative liberties with the relationships between the protagonists.

There are orgies and incest or something?(I just assume since it's Heinlein)

There are orgies and incest or something?(I just assume since it's Heinlein)
You must be thinking of To Sail Beyond the Sunset and Time Enough For Love.

I don't recall any orgies or incest in Methuselah's Children, but it's been years since I read it.

I don't recall any orgies or incest in Methuselah's Children, but it's been years since I read it.

That made me laugh a bit. I was actually thinking of "A door into summer" and "Stranger in a Strange land".

That made me laugh a bit. I was actually thinking of "A door into summer" and "Stranger in a Strange land".
Looks like there are more than we thought. I haven't read A Door into Summer, and it's been a long time since reading Stranger in a Strange Land.

Maureen Johnson Smith spends most of To Sail Beyond the Sunset trying to figure out how to get her own father to have sex with her. And this novel includes part of the story from Time Enough For Love, when Lazarus Long goes back in time to visit his mother... and they end up in bed, along with Brian Smith, his father (Maureen and Brian are okay with infidelity and incest, as long as the other gives permission; participation just adds to the fun, as there's a scene with them and one of their daughters and her husband... :dubious:).

That's an odd divergence point since Richard I hated spending time in England and his brother's descendents perpetuated the dynasty for another three centuries.

No more odd than having the entire native English Royal family either die out or be rejected on religious grounds and replaced by the German family of Saxe-Coburg. Someone once characterized a Monarchy as 'government by genetic Chance' so nothing is too odd.

But to be fair, I believe Garrett's premise was that Richard was wounded by a crossbow bolt, but not killed, and the shock caused a personality change in that he settled down and 'ruled wisely and well' and handed over to his youngest brother, Arthur, who in the Alternate World did not die young but continued the dynasty so well that he was later confused with the Good King Arthur of legend. As I said, the world was very well 'backstoried' since he used it for a whole set of short stories as well as the one novel.

Tripods series!!
The trilogy by John Christopher?

There's already been a TV series, but I think it was canceled before they finished the third book.

Yeah I read about that. I got the prequel for my daughter and reread it.
There's a prequel? I thought there were only 3 books.

Far from it. Methuselah's Children was written for a teen audience. The story begins with a woman explaining why she will not marry a seemingly older man. She's actually about 120 years older than he is.

I am reminded of a scene early in Suits. Rachel asks Donna if she and Harvey ever, you know... Donna says no. Rachel asks, "Why not?" Donna says that it's something that cannot be undone. That's about the level of sexual innuendo in MC.

If you want to do Heinlein, Friday is probably the best choice. Variable Star, the book written from a plot outline might work.

You could make a very good movie from Silverberg's Dying Inside. It covers many areas of current concern--chronic conditions, degenerative diseases, handicaps, caretaker issues--yet it would be invisible to society at large.

J

Last edited:
2001: A Space Odyssey

(Wouldn't surprise me if I've already said that in this thread since it's a massive necro)

2001: A Space Odyssey

(Wouldn't surprise me if I've already said that in this thread since it's a massive necro)
It's already been done. Brilliantly, I might add.

Top Bottom