1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Science 340AD

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Nov 14, 2002.

?

Reform or not reform?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2002.
  1. Stick to the plan: Mono-Inv-TofG-Rep(?)

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. We need reform. Make Republic the priority.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. We are lagging behind and need Invention. Make that the priority.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We've changed our minds. Please conduct a new Science Survey.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. The Ministry of Magic has again overlooked the obvious! (Please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

There have been calls for our country to be ruled in a new way: to reduce corruption, increase trade, and maybe encourage people to move to our cities.

However, in the Grand Science Survey of 60ad conducted many years ago, Government Reform was low on the list of priorities. Our main priority was Monotheism, which we are a stone's throw away from. Then came Invention. It now seems we are lagging behind both Russians and Indians in this area and us building Leonardo Di Caprio's Workshop (;)) seems unlikely at present. Then came Theory of Gravity, with Issac's important for our Science City of Elysium.

Please vote:
    Do we stick to the will of the people decided in 60ad?
    Do we make Republic a priority?
    Is Invention and Leo's more important? We are lagging behind!!
    Do you want the whole Science Survey re-polled to reflect the changing attitudes of the people? (My personal recommendation)
    Or do you have a better idea?

Ministry of Magic ;)

Poll open 4 days

2. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I think it's important for the people to make thorough decisions on stuff and now that so much has changed since 60AD we should have a new poll dealing with various issues:
    - Government change is important: going into republic has advantages and disadvantages. We won't be able to maintain a huge army as each unit requires a shield of support, with a little army it already means we will fall back in production. However we don't need all those warriors anymore to maintain happiness. Trade goes up and so will science.
    - Science is important and we will need Isaac's to improve the science output of our SSC.
    - Now we are at peace with the Indians and Vikings but probably not for long so we will need more sophisticated means of getting into battle.

We will have to decide which of these issues should be dealt with first so that we can make a list of techs we want to research for the president.

Also we may want to decide upon which other techs we want if none of the techs supplied lead to one of our goals.
    Anyway, let's have a new poll.

3. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Once we get to Monotheism, we will "catch up" (extend our lead ;) ) over the AI with holy crusades. I think that that should be our primary aim at the moment, and we should have that option next time.

Invention we can get from the AI. Do the vikings have it? If so, why not let their settler settle, then immediately take the city?

I would like republic, but getting Newton's has got to take priority. Hopefully we can have both :)

4. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

iirc, we weren't offered a tech by the Vikings. They are way behind. We can get soem of the Invention techs from the Indians once we send boats that way. However, the Russians are also heading in that direction, and we don't even know where they are!

5. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

If we are at war thwen going for gunpowder after invention might be a good idea.

6. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Very nice that you are back, Jayne. You are SO alert!

I voted for reform, Republic. By that I mean, Mono Mike's, Republic, Leonardo's Invention.

It is possible to have a very large army in Republic, larger than our current army. One war unit per city. Now, we have fewer.

7. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

We are at 6 turns per tech (2 turns left till The Wheel).

Of course, Monotheism/Mike's is the next top priority.

After that: Engineering/Invention, Republic, and University/Theory of Gravity are my top tech paths.

The AI seems to make Leo's a priority, so I am concerned about that. Both the Indians and Russians are building KRC, so they both have one prerequisite for Invention. One of them will eventually complete KRC. If the other has already researched Invention, they will switch over all the shields to make Leo's. :eek:

Even if we can go straight to Invention after MT, it is 20 turns or more away. We will have enough caravans to build Leo's quickly, but the question is whether we would choose to (or can afford to) wait an additional 6+ turns.

This is why I prefer to to go directly to Invention if we have the choice. Here is my list of priorities:

MT (Mike's)
    Engineering/Invention (Leo's)
    Republic
    University/Theory of Gravity (Newton's)

If none of those (!), then Theology (Bach's), Bridge Building, Seafaring/Navigation.

8. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Perhaps a good reason to hamstring the indians slightly at the moment to ensure that the russians finish KRC first. We know (sort-of) where the indians are, so can simply take leo's if they can divert the shields over to it. :)

9. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

IMHO, Engineering/Invention (Leo's) should be near as possible to the top of our list. I am happy with MonkE research list above.

10. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Maybe we need to get a dip over to India ASAP with a view to stealing Invention, or even better aquiring it through subversion.

11. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

This is a good idea since we will be able to explore their coast line/ inland areas. This will give an indication of where they are.

Can I also suggest the we build some cities between Legendary City and Fort Anarchy as there seems to be a big hole where the Indians can land and settle. I'm still catching up so I may have missed the discussio about this.

12. MonkE

Looks like many of us agree about our "visit" to the Indians. :)

13. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Remember that Newton's will not be worth so much to Elysium until we get a university built there. The AI very seldom prioritises Newton's and although it's a must-have for us, I'd be tempted to get Leo's if only to keep it out of the hands of some stupid civ who wouldn't know what to do with it. ;) I suppose that if we were to allow someone else to get Leo's (which I haven't done for years apart from OCC) then I wouldn't care so much about getting Espionage before Automobile, etc.

14. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Sounds great to me. :goodjob:

15. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

I think we all agree that Monotheism is still our #1 priority, with Mike's. From there, I too am concerned about two rivals already on the path to Invention and Leo's, but wonder if it is worth the effort and sacrifice it might be to make a rush for Leo's ourselves. I'd almost rather have Newton's if it came to a choice. Then again, if we can steal Leo's away from the AI and still get Newton's, all the better :D I've never had good luck managing a Republic myself, so don't usually make it much of a priority myself, and consider the two wonders as higher priorities, but as always remain open to being convinced/er...learning new things:cool:
    As to the actual question under consideration, yes I think we need a new science poll given the changes since the last one.

16. MonkE

We make so many caravans that it will not come to a choice if we get the enabling techs in time. I thing Newton's is sufficiently far along the tech tree so the AI won't beat us to it. I'm only concerned about Leo's.

17. Juize

Juize Deity

With current world, I would stick to the plan. Vikings will get eliminated very soon after that.

MonkE's list.

18. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

In my experience, Newton's is a low priority wonder for the AI, and Theory of Gravity a low priority tech. :goodjob: So are Theology and Bach's, which is also a very good thing.
    Do we know if the Vikings have Engineering yet? I doubt that they do, so we should be looking to steal either that or Invention from the Indians, with the ability to rush Leo's with caravans asap. Remember that since it is the AI's highest priority wonder (well, maybe after the Pyramids) then they rush for Invention and one of the two civs currently building KRC could switch and deny us. :(