1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Science Farming and Communism

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lkysam, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Hi, I have a question about science farming. In my games I usually go despotism->monarchy->communism. Right now I am in monarchy, and I have quite a bit of land that is completely corrupt and into which I could squeeze quite a few cities in CxC pattern and support 1 citizen and 2 scientists once I get railroads.

Is this a good idea if I am planning on going to be in communism? My impression is that when your in communism corruption is based on the distance of the city farthest from your capital and your total city number, and that adding a city increases corruption slightly for all of your other cities. Is this correct? It seems like if that is the case that cramming all of those small 7 science cities in would make my other cities very corrupt. :confused: Is science farming just for non-commies? Thanks for the help.

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I don't know if it works quite that way, but I do know that corruption is shared across the civ. So all of your cities are equally corrupt. Adding cities would make all of the other cities slightly more corrupt.

I don't use commie, so my understanding of it is more of a theoretical knowledge, not a practical one.

3. MAS

MAS Deity

communism in Civ3 is most effective when you have a large empire full of metro's This governments is not worthless in and of itself (in civ3 I mean) And can in fact be very good, exept for the follwoing facts:
    1# its a late game gov, the late game turns are just for mop up, you win the game by playing well in the earlier turns. (if you do not yet have the game under controll by the industrial age, you ither played a very bad start location, didn't play very well, or play at a very high diffeculty level)
    2#without communism, and without ways to grow past the growth caps to start with, it is best to place cities close to each other.

The main advantage of communism over other governments is that it can have more productive cities than any other governments. Assuming your empire has the right size and form, he total shields per turn for your civ in this government is the highest. But only if it has the right layout for it, and this layout is also a bad layout for the early turns. And the early turns are more importand.

In vanilla civ, the ROI of sci farming is small, so you are more likely to be in a reasonable shape for communism.
    In C3C, you'll probably be better of staying in republic.

4. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Im playing C3C, so I assume that science farming is not the best way to go? Also, in my game right now I'm playing as Ghandi so I can switch in a couple turns to mop up the remaining civs. Republic doesen't work so well because of unit support and WW. Thanks for the help :)

5. MAS

MAS Deity

No, in C3C, the ROI for sci farming is higher than in vanilla. In vanilla civ3, a scientist gives 1 beaker, in C3C he gives 3 beakers.

I don't have any problems fighting wars in Republic myself.
    Anyway, if you want to burn population to speed up the last few turns before winning, you could just aswell go for Feudalism. Safes you from researching 2 dead end tech.

6. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I agree with what MAS said about scientists!

In addition, I've never found unit support to be a problem in Republic with C3C except when you first make the switch. In C3C Republic, support is 1 unit per town (pop 1-6), 3 units per city (pop 7-12) and 4 per metro (13+). Usually just about the time you revolt to Republic, your towns are growing beyond 6 quickly and so your unit support increases.

You also get the gold bonus (1 add'l gold for each tile already producing one), and that quickly adds up to much better income than any other government except Democracy (which is the same). The gold bonus will more than pay support for your units over the free ones, and you don't have to garrison towns that will never likely be attacked.

WW is rarely a problem if you're on the offense and taking land from other civs. WW grows when another civ is on your land and when your units are in foreign territory (and of course if you're losing either land or units). If you make that foreign territory your own, the problem goes away. :D

7. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

I agree with this comment, and the comment about the ROI for scientists
    in C3C -- the 3 uncorrupted beakers / turn is great!

Now, as you add cities in the CxC pattern, each one adds a bit of corruption
    to the total empire. And, since communism spreads the corruption,
    some of your more productive cities will get a little less productive.
    If you're going for the spaceship, you will need just a few large cities
    to produce the spaceship parts, since you will be producing only one or
    two parts at once. The rest of your cities can be set to max science,
    including scientists, to help keep your research rate high.
    You may not be able to see the erosion in productivity in your core
    due to the addition of 5, 10 additional CxC science farms.