1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

science mechanic question?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by slo, Aug 22, 2013.

1. slo

slo Warlord

kind of a basic question, but does anyone know how science is generically produced?
    Meaning I know how buildings and wonders add to it, but how much does each city generically make? how much does each person make ect...
    also, does the number of cities i have increase the cost of technologies like culture does?

thanks
    slo

2. arand86

arand86 Warlord

Each population gives you 1 science per turn. So basically, the bigger your pop, the better your science. Simple.
    The palace (in every capital) produces 3 science per turn, so you don't fall flat on your face to begin with.

New annexed cities increase tech costs by 5%, like social policies and their mechanic.

3. slo

slo Warlord

thanks so much...
    slo

4. jahsoldier

jahsoldier Warlord

Another way to look at it is that plenty of :c5food: and :c5happy: = plenty of :c5science:.

5. Deau

Deau Emperor

I didn't bother to test it up but tooltip says puppets also increase the cost for science and given how much slower paced teching warmongers get with puppet empires, I would dare and say that the tooltip is correct.

6. Fire0rb

Fire0rb Warlord

I had a game where i was 6 turns after another 1 turn away from Satellites because i captured a city every turn so i guess the puppeted cities do increase the cap as well ;)

7. dangermouth

dangermouth Chieftain

If you lose a city, does the science cost go down?

8. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

The thread inspired me to do some testing: (used IGE)

Initial cost of theology

Spoiler :

After settling one more city (+5.03%)

Spoiler :

After settling third city (+4.19%)

Spoiler :

After puppeting Assur. (+4.60%)

Spoiler :

Before puppeting Porto

Spoiler :

After puppeting Porto (+3.85%)

Spoiler :

Porto annexed, then razed. (+3.85%)

Spoiler :

Porto insta razed (0 change to tech. costs)

Spoiler :

Meaning: keep only good cities, insta raze bad ones.

Used medieval start, standard Pangaea.

One more thing to note: it seems that if you start later than ancient era, you won't get tech. discounts upon meeting other civs.

EDIT:

Puppeted, then sold Porto (tech costs go down to initial values)

Spoiler :

Annexed, then sold Porto (permanent +3.85% increase)

Spoiler :

9. ntr0py

ntr0py Chieftain

As far as I can tell the first city counts as +5% aswell. Pottery base value (35) on standard map (110 modifier) is...

floor(35 * 1.1 * 1.05) = 40

However there are still some numbers in the code that don't add up for me. There is a number crunching thread somewhere, but I get different results for BNW.

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

In case of puppets, there are additional science penalties for being a puppet. It's -25% in that city, but the result of that with the city is either rounded or truncated.

11. Lord Katana

Lord Katana Warlord

Moriate, your numbers go down. Does that mean that it's 5% of the basecost? and 3,85% of the current tech cost?

If so, one could argue that settling more cities is better since the penalty goes down (5,03%, 4,19%, 3,85%) or am i making a logic mistake somewhere?

12. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

It's a percent so it scales. There are a lot of variables underneath that such as.. what IS your science already at? And how much science is this new city putting out? If you are ok with math, you'd realize 5% is a drop in the bucket, and should not discourage you from planting new cities. If you can't make a city that is capable of adding more than 5% to your overall science, something is wrong. Sure it may not start that way the first turn you settle it but, 5% is not a major penalty considering over time each city can be pulling in hundreds of science on their own.